Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

330 Mariner windshield removal

Anything related to the operation of your boat. Steering, Bilge Pumps, thru-hulls, bottom paint, etc.

Topic author United States of America
mwest74
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 1995 330 mariner w crusader 350xl's

330 Mariner windshield removal

Postby mwest74 » May 15th, 2018, 9:17 pm

Greetings all.
I need some help with possibly removing the windshield on my 1995 330 Mariner for transport. If my math is correct, The height is about 13'7" from the keel to the tallest part. Most over the road transporters the height down to a least 12'7". The transport can still be done but, it requires extra permits. I'm looking to save as much as I can due to some very costly repairs. So, my question is this: Can I easily remove the windshield myself? Or, should I just bite the bullet and get the extra permits? I'd like to think I'm pretty mechanically inclined. So, I'm not opposed to doing it myself. I just don't want to bite off more than I can chew. As far as paying the yard to do it, I've given them enough money

Thanks in advance.

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Re: 330 Mariner windshield removal

Postby bud37 » May 15th, 2018, 9:46 pm

How much more are the permits ?
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

mwest74
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Postby mwest74 » May 15th, 2018, 10:03 pm

Not exactly sure how much the extra permits would be. There are only 1 or 2 transporters that will do it with the extra permits. I'm trying to get a feel for how difficult it would be as well as any potential issues after putting it back together.

United States of America
tomschauer
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1998 Carver 355
Suspicious Fishes !
2022 Kawasaki 310X

Postby tomschauer » May 15th, 2018, 11:29 pm

not sure about the mariner wind shield but you may want to also consider...
You cant just set the keel on the trailer you need some sort of cradle, add a couple inches at least for that. Also, I am not 100% certain with the mariner, but don't the props, struts and shafts sit below the lowest part of the hull? You would also need to account for that or remove them which would be much more challenging than the windshield.
There are several reputable boat transporters in the Chesapeake city area, I would ask them to look at the boat and give you a quote.

mwest74
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Postby mwest74 » May 15th, 2018, 11:38 pm

Thanks. I've already considered all of this. The trailer and cradle is all the responsibility of the mover. Hence the I need to lose about a foot off the top (standard DOT bridge clearance is 13'7"). I was just wondering about the windshield.

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Postby bud37 » May 16th, 2018, 6:19 am

Not sure about your model, but the following applies to the newer 350 mariner, have a look at the base of the windshield....if and I say if there is a plastic/rubbery looking trim piece in the framework, that is the screw cover...once removed you will be able to access the screws to remove the frame work, hopefully they are not machine screws with nuts underneath .......now if you were to go to the Carver Yachts site and look at the parts/instructions part, you will see how to install the windows on a newer 350 mariner, I know it is a different year model, but it may still give you an idea what is what......now if the trim is like I said you may have to get new trim ( not cheap and maybe NLS) and the gasket after removal unless you are somewhat lucky.....anyway check it out and decide what to do from there....good luck man, hope it works out for you.....
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

United States of America
mjk1040
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 1998 355 AC/MY "Deja Vu"

Postby mjk1040 » May 17th, 2018, 6:19 am

I believe you are going to have to take the top window frame off if you can and then remove each glass panel. A heat gun may be needed to soften the rubber frame seal. If you can't float your boat to its new location, I would keep looking for a transporter. It seems to me that this boat should be able to be transported without removing the windshield and the bow down on the trailer should clear the 13'6" height restriction on roads. I'd keep looking for a transporter. I have seen a 32' 1986 Mariner on a tri axle trailer behind a 1 ton truck being hauled down the road with no problem! Good Luck my friend.
Mike :down:
I'd Rather Be Boating!
1989 Sea Ray Seville
1986 Carver Mariner 32'
1990's Thompson 22' Cuddy Cabin
1990's 4Winns 245 Vista Cruiser
1980's Thompson 19' Open Bow

Return to “General Repairs & Maintenance”