Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

The Highly Interesting Garboard Plug

Anything related to the operation of your boat. Steering, Bilge Pumps, thru-hulls, bottom paint, etc.

Topic author Canada
Eggbert
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 1985 Carver Santa Cruz 2667

The Highly Interesting Garboard Plug

Postby Eggbert » May 21st, 2018, 9:35 am

This year I am replacing my garboard drain plug. Why? My own fault, and the story might help prevent someone else from doing it.

The plug is located between the engine and the batteries and with the engine hatch open, it looks easy to get at… but it’s not. One has to reach way down, with arm straight out and try to turn it. Not much leverage that way.

Now installing it isn’t too bad. It only needs to be firmly snugged down. A little grease on it helps keep it water-tight and prevents corrosion from jamming the two together.

Nonetheless, the plug seems to get firmly stuck over the season (maybe from vibration?) and is very difficult to remove by hand.

After going through this for many years (using various tools that kept slipping and falling into the bilge) I decided to make a tool. Being experimental, I didn’t get very fancy and used an old tent pole, some threaded rod, a bit of copper tubing and some nuts. It’s really just an extension made to fit the plug. And “Hey!”, it worked! It removed the plug easily.

The next Spring, I made an error. Due to the ease of use, I used the tool to tighten the plug. I thought I did it gently, but perhaps not as in the Fall, it was very difficult to get out. So difficult in fact, I could feel the plug starting to experience a torsional failure. So I stopped, and had to remove the batteries (a good idea anyway for winter storage) and use an open-ended wrench on the square part of the plug. A very awkward thing to do, but I got it out.

The lesson is if I want to use the tool to tighten the plug, use it very, very gently to try to obtain the same torque as if doing it without the tool.

In the picture below, the old plug is on the right with the new one on the left. Notice the longer, more spindly neck on the old one. The new one looks tougher so that ought to be a good thing.

The old one was bent slightly when I bought the boat, but never had the spiral twist to it (hard to see in the picture) that it does now.

So… a long winded and not very interesting story, but it might help someone… someday.

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Re: The Highly Interesting Garboard Plug

Postby Viper » May 21st, 2018, 10:01 am

Try using Teflon tape or anti-seize on the threads before you put the plug back in. I use the tape and they always come out pretty easy. You don't need to tighten them too hard at all. In fact if you do, you could break the seal on the hull fitting itself. Eventually years of over-tightening and struggling to loosen will move the fitting and cause the seal to fail sooner. Of coarse one may not know the seal has failed but for those that have a cored hull, it'll do a lot of damage.

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Postby bud37 » May 21st, 2018, 10:36 am

Check out pipe dope.....something called pro dope.....use it on all pipe threads......thanks for the post.That tool you made is quite familiar to me .....its something we used to call a lazy rod, for operating valves etc from a distance...good use there.
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

United States of America
tomschauer
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1998 Carver 355
Suspicious Fishes !
2022 Kawasaki 310X

Postby tomschauer » May 23rd, 2018, 10:13 pm

nickel anti seize works well.

Return to “General Repairs & Maintenance”