Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Troubleshooting Norcold DE0051

Anything related to the operation of your boat. Steering, Bilge Pumps, thru-hulls, bottom paint, etc.

Topic author United States of America
SeaDog3807
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 1988 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin
Dual Helm
Dual Mercruiser 7.4 Blue Water Thunderbolt IV ignition
Direct Drives
Koehler 8.5KW Generator

Troubleshooting Norcold DE0051

Postby SeaDog3807 » June 8th, 2018, 1:28 am

Looking for some good advice to give me a little more insight on getting my Norcold DE0051 running.

I have download and began to test things according to Norcold troubleshooting guide.
The refrigerator is about 10 years old and hardly used by previous owner.

It is 12v /120 volt but I have really only been testing on 120.

The “good tests”
My green light is on when I turn dial on.
Looks like I have decent power coming out of the 120 power module, sending over around 43v (from my memory) to the 12v power module.
Thermistor is reading around 1.5 k ohms which seems ok for 94’f in my garage.

The bad or quirky tests / results
1- in Step 2 in the main flow chart is about checking TP1 and TP2 for voltage. It’s says to refer to pic 1 which shows read, black, and brown points on the 12v power module board. Is it that the red and black need test3d? I can’t get a reading on those. Or is it that on the other side of the board where there are two connectors labeled TP1 and TP2? When I test then, they seem that they are the wiring for 12 v power out (from my memory) And they start at 1v but the keep increasing slowly to 11 volt. Even the 12v power in lead wiring are getting that increasing voltage the same while no 12 v power source is connected.

2- When I try to get a reading on the compressor for voltage, it’s not the same as pictured in the guide. I think that they want you to simply test the positive and nuetral lines at the compressor, right? I am only getting around 11 v and I think you should have more, right? Like 15 v min? When the refer to points a and b on the compressor, they are simply meaning the positive and negative connections, right?

United States of America
km1125
Admiral
Admiral

Re: Troubleshooting Norcold DE0051

Postby km1125 » June 8th, 2018, 9:40 am

You should post some pics, scans or links to the documents you are referring to.

If the compressor is the same as the Norcold's I've worked on, there isn't a positive and negative. The compressor works on an A.C voltage of around 30-35 volts.

SeaDog3807
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Dual Helm
Direct Drives
Koehler 8.5KW Generator

Postby SeaDog3807 » June 12th, 2018, 8:58 pm

This is the 12 v module
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

SeaDog3807
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Dual Helm
Direct Drives
Koehler 8.5KW Generator

Postby SeaDog3807 » June 12th, 2018, 9:02 pm

The best copy of the service manual I found is at
http://bryantrv.com/docs2/docs/misc/SM_DC,DE_631842A_080807.pdf

So while plugged into 110v the ac module is sending over 41.8 dc v to the 12 v module.
Turning the dial on, green light comes on.
So I need the first flow chart, it says then to test TP1 and tp2 but the figure 1 shows points on the board not labeled. My points in that area are in a single row (cn5), not dual rows. On the opposite side of the board there are connectors that are labeled TP1 and tp2 which are for the 12/24 dc v power in wiring.

So I tested the red against both black points (like in figure 1) and I get 38 dc v on both tests, not 0, 2: or 5 v. I test the tp1/2 terminals and the circuit builds slowly up to 23.8v

My thermistor ohms are 1.3k ohms at 97 degrees Fahrenheit.
The voltage out to compressor is only 10.5 v
It’s hard to get an ohm reading on compressor, again the figure in guide is not like my compressor.
Once I got 1.5 ohm at around 95 degrees in the garage.

SeaDog3807
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Dual Helm
Direct Drives
Koehler 8.5KW Generator

Postby SeaDog3807 » June 12th, 2018, 10:30 pm

Here are pics of the compressor and model specs
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

United States of America
km1125
Admiral
Admiral

Postby km1125 » June 13th, 2018, 2:52 pm

SeaDog3807 wrote:Source of the post The best copy of the service manual I found is at
http://bryantrv.com/docs2/docs/misc/SM_DC,DE_631842A_080807.pdf

So while plugged into 110v the ac module is sending over 41.8 dc v to the 12 v module.
Turning the dial on, green light comes on.
So I need the first flow chart, it says then to test TP1 and tp2 but the figure 1 shows points on the board not labeled. My points in that area are in a single row (cn5), not dual rows. On the opposite side of the board there are connectors that are labeled TP1 and tp2 which are for the 12/24 dc v power in wiring.

So I tested the red against both black points (like in figure 1) and I get 38 dc v on both tests, not 0, 2: or 5 v. I test the tp1/2 terminals and the circuit builds slowly up to 23.8v

My thermistor ohms are 1.3k ohms at 97 degrees Fahrenheit.
The voltage out to compressor is only 10.5 v
It’s hard to get an ohm reading on compressor, again the figure in guide is not like my compressor.
Once I got 1.5 ohm at around 95 degrees in the garage.

That's TB1 and TB2 for your 12/24vdc power in wiring ("terminal block 1", "terminal block 2"). Their test description of the 2vDC test is bad. I don't see what they are referring to as "TP1 and TP2". In the pic they referenced, they show red, black and brown points. I'd be inclined to think it was where the "brown" is. I'd measure that, relative to ground (or DC-) and see what you get.

To test the output of the inverter, you should be checking for voltage at the compressor, and checking on the A.C. setting on the meter. You need to clean that ground on the compressor...it looks very corroded.

I have some similar power supplies in the garage. Not sure if they are identical, but I'll pop the covers off and see what the circuit board looks like.

United States of America
g36
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 1997 Carver 405

Postby g36 » June 13th, 2018, 4:20 pm

What about thermostat? Have you verified it's switch is closing and that it's calling for the compressor to come on?
1997 Carver 405
Crusader xli
The Black Pearl
Soddy Daisy Tn.

SeaDog3807
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Dual Helm
Direct Drives
Koehler 8.5KW Generator

Postby SeaDog3807 » June 13th, 2018, 6:18 pm

Thanks...

So in testing the brown point and grounding to a black point, I am seeing 2 v dc. This is what they must have meant to do in the guide.

I then see what the ac volts are out to compressor, on just the disconnected wires and I am only getting 1 v ac.

I am needing to step away from this for about 2 weeks as I have some other urgent projects to get done ASAP.

Return to “General Repairs & Maintenance”