Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Windlass

Anything related to the operation of your boat. Steering, Bilge Pumps, thru-hulls, bottom paint, etc.

United States of America
g36
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 1997 Carver 405

Re: Windlass Issues - Maxwell Freedom 800

Postby g36 » July 9th, 2018, 10:17 pm

I haven't had any issues running without a pressure arm all I see is the pressure arm gets chewed up by the chain going by all the time.
1997 Carver 405
Crusader xli
The Black Pearl
Soddy Daisy Tn.

Canada
Midnightsun
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: The Midnight Sun
2007 41CMY
Volvo D6-370's

Postby Midnightsun » July 16th, 2018, 4:25 pm

nautiyachti wrote:Source of the post
Midnightsun wrote:Source of the post Pretty sure the unit needs to be removed to fill oil and at that stage might as well clean everything up and change the oil seals.

Hans when looking at the sight glass what should the reading be, is there a level indicator? it's an awkward angle and I couldn't tell. The window had a honey colour to it, so for all I know maybe it's full? Also am I correct by saying that the sight glass is threaded into the housing? Wondering how I can top it up without taking the thing apart.

Only place to fill is through the sight glass and this is why it needs to come out if you want to change the oil. Honey color could be discoloration of the glass or nice oil. Level in the sight glass should be 1/2 on the glass which needs to be level when read. Again, I suggest you take it out, really not a big job to do so. May want to pick a cooler day though. ;-)
Cheers, Hans
2007 Carver 41 CMY
Twin Volvo D6-370's
Montreal, Canada
Midnight Sun I Photos

Canada
Midnightsun
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: The Midnight Sun
2007 41CMY
Volvo D6-370's

Postby Midnightsun » July 18th, 2018, 2:32 pm

Yep, might as well dump the oil and put in new stuff. Any 75w 90 gear oil will do. I went synthetic but that is me. :-D
Cheers, Hans
2007 Carver 41 CMY
Twin Volvo D6-370's
Montreal, Canada
Midnight Sun I Photos

Canada
pepmyster
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 2004 Carver 360 Sport Sedan
8.1 Volvo Penta
Fresh water boating

Re: Windlass

Postby pepmyster » September 9th, 2019, 6:38 am

Really glad I found this posting. We noticed that while on the hook, oil in the water. Oil coming the chain links. Weird. Opened the chain locker, and notice the oil on the chain. Look up, yup, the windless is leaking. Looks like I have another project for the winter months. Thanks for all the info on the seal kits and link the the Maxwell manual.

Return to “General Repairs & Maintenance”