Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Windlass

Anything related to the operation of your boat. Steering, Bilge Pumps, thru-hulls, bottom paint, etc.

Topic author Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Re: Windlass Issues - Maxwell Freedom 800

Postby Viper » June 18th, 2018, 1:15 pm

Is it labouring or slipping? A loose clutch will make it seem like it's not working properly. If that's okay, you need to rule out a possible lack of power issue; batteries, connections, solenoid pack, etc. Both the load and control circuits should be checked. The motors are pretty robust but everything fails eventually, it would be the last thing I'd suspect if all else checks out, you can take it into an electrical shop or someone that rebuilds starters, alternators, etc. Replacing the oil in the gearbox is a regular maintenance item that should be done every three years according to the manufacturer if I remember correctly. Check out the manual, there are some maintenance items mentioned that you should look at going through as well as a troubleshooting guide that may steer you in the right direction. if you don't have a manual, download here:
http://www.maxwellmarine.com/downloader.php?i=323

Canada
Midnightsun
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: The Midnight Sun
2007 41CMY
Volvo D6-370's

Postby Midnightsun » June 18th, 2018, 1:20 pm

I did a complete service on my Maxwell 800 just this spring. You say grease however did you check the fluid level? Mine was fine however in a previous boat (Maxwell 500) the unit was almost bone dry!

I just rebuilt mine including all the seals and fresh synthetic gear oil. Point is, you really need to take it out entirely to see what is going on. Turn it by hand to see if anything is binding. When you say struggling are you talking about just not enough power or could it be the clutch is just slipping and needs to be tightened up? Are the electrical connection tight and in good condition?
Cheers, Hans
2007 Carver 41 CMY
Twin Volvo D6-370's
Montreal, Canada
Midnight Sun I Photos

Canada
Midnightsun
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
2007 41CMY
Volvo D6-370's

Postby Midnightsun » June 18th, 2018, 2:18 pm

Rebuilding assuming no parts are damaged, is less than $100 in parts so you may want to go that route. Trying to find a bolt in Maxwell 800 may be a challenge and installing a different unit will most likely require a lot of adaptation work.

Seal Kit https://www.defender.com/product.jsp?id=2555653
Stripper Arm https://www.defender.com/product3.jsp?p ... &id=797087
Pressure Arm https://www.defender.com/product3.jsp?p ... &id=797062
Cheers, Hans
2007 Carver 41 CMY
Twin Volvo D6-370's
Montreal, Canada
Midnight Sun I Photos

United States of America
denpooch
Commander
Commander
Vessel Info: 2005 360 Mariner
Crusader 6.0 Captains Choice

Postby denpooch » June 23rd, 2018, 11:31 am

Hans were you able to locate any 'step by step' guide for the rebuild? The Maxwell site tells you about the maintenance but doesn't really detail the procedure. I have not had luck locating precise instructions.
Thanks

Canada
Midnightsun
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
2007 41CMY
Volvo D6-370's

Postby Midnightsun » June 23rd, 2018, 4:51 pm

No luck either, went by the parts diagram and disassembled myself.
Cheers, Hans
2007 Carver 41 CMY
Twin Volvo D6-370's
Montreal, Canada
Midnight Sun I Photos

Topic author Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter

Postby Viper » June 24th, 2018, 10:47 pm

While it doesn't cover everything, the manual gives you some pictures and dismantling/reassembly procedures for some of the hardware.

United States of America
CarverPGH
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 2004 367 MY with twin gas 8.1 Volvo’s

Postby CarverPGH » July 5th, 2018, 11:20 am

Found this in my maxwell 800 manual. I’m having similar issue and have ordered a pressure arm replacement kit. Hope this helps
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

United States of America
g36
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 1997 Carver 405

Postby g36 » July 5th, 2018, 2:23 pm

Didn't see mentioned whether is rode or chain or combo. If you are having issues with it on rode then pressure arm might be the fix but if you are on chain this wont help. The pressure arm keeps the rode tight in the windlass so it won't slip. Not needed for chain.
1997 Carver 405
Crusader xli
The Black Pearl
Soddy Daisy Tn.

Canada
Midnightsun
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
2007 41CMY
Volvo D6-370's

Postby Midnightsun » July 9th, 2018, 10:20 am

nautiyachti wrote:Source of the post g36, I'm running all chain. By the way the pressure arm is important for chain as well as it prevents it from spiraling and binding.

Managed top resolve my issue, I simply had to tighten the gypsy (clutch). It didn't even turn 1/4 but that's all it took. However I found that I need to add oil as I didn't see any in the sigh glass.

The sight glass is threaded into the housing, is this the fill as well? If so how the heck can I will the init when the fill is on the side of the unit?

Pretty sure the unit needs to be removed to fill oil and at that stage might as well clean everything up and change the oil seals.
Cheers, Hans
2007 Carver 41 CMY
Twin Volvo D6-370's
Montreal, Canada
Midnight Sun I Photos

Topic author Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter

Postby Viper » July 9th, 2018, 11:48 am

Viper wrote:Source of the post Is it labouring or slipping? A loose clutch will make it seem like it's not working properly.... if you don't have a manual, download here:
http://www.maxwellmarine.com/downloader.php?i=323

nautiyachti wrote:Source of the post .... I'm pretty sure it's not slipping because I can hear the motor struggle and stop and I don't see any movement on the gypsy....

So it was slipping ;-)
In the link for the manual I posted, it tells you that you need to remove the gearbox to change the oil. It will also tell you all the areas you need to grease periodically.

Return to “General Repairs & Maintenance”