Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

355 Aft cockpit gate

Anything related to the operation of your boat. Steering, Bilge Pumps, thru-hulls, bottom paint, etc.

Topic author United States of America
Jlubas
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 1995 Carver 355 Aft Cabin

355 Aft cockpit gate

Postby Jlubas » June 25th, 2018, 12:33 pm

Hey all, I have a 1995 355 Aft Cabin. Looking for option to put a gate to block the stairs from the cockpit to the swim platform.

I have seen newer or 40ft versions of my boat with what appears to be a white gate for that area. Anyone have an idea where I might be able to find one? Or has anyone come up with an alternative solution that worked well.

Thank you in advance for any ideas, suggestions or feedback.

This is kind of what I am looking for:

Carver.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Thank you, Josh

1995 Carver 355 Aft Cabin
Crusader 454 XLI's

United States of America
g36
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 1997 Carver 405

Re: 355 Aft cockpit gate

Postby g36 » June 25th, 2018, 1:06 pm

The versions with the door ithink at year 1998 have solid fiberglass walls and not the acrylic panels. It would not be wise to mount anything to the acrylic panels do to strength issues and if they break your pretty screwed on getting a match. On my 97 405 which has the same acrylic panels I made a sunbrella piece that covers the door area and can be snapped open or closed. I also have thought about a plastic that could be slid sideways from the inside to make a door but sunbrella is easier and fine for my needs. Maybe someone else has a idea too.
1997 Carver 405
Crusader xli
The Black Pearl
Soddy Daisy Tn.

Topic author United States of America
Jlubas
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 1995 Carver 355 Aft Cabin

Postby Jlubas » June 25th, 2018, 1:25 pm

I appreciate the idea G36! that will definitely be an option if I cant come up with a more permanent solution. I was not thinking about mounting to the acrylic panels. There is stainless tubing on both sides so was thinking about using that. All that said, I wasn't aware the newer models were solid fiberglass. Appreciate the insight.
Thank you, Josh

1995 Carver 355 Aft Cabin
Crusader 454 XLI's

United States of America
g36
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 1997 Carver 405

Postby g36 » June 25th, 2018, 1:38 pm

Your welcome .I used the stainless supports for my project also. don't want to do anything that can cause the panels to break. I also have used screws and plastic washers and removed some of the plastic rivets. Even buying new from carver I didn't like the way they fit. I guess I should say the fiberglass walls are not truly solid but very substantial compared to the plastic panels we have.
1997 Carver 405
Crusader xli
The Black Pearl
Soddy Daisy Tn.

United States of America
cpoint
Commander
Commander
Vessel Info: 2000 Carver 356 aft cabin

Postby cpoint » November 7th, 2018, 1:42 am

Maybe not same thing, but it was on my mind for sometime and finally got around replacing my side lifeline gates to stainless steel tubing. finding right end caps was tough, but finally found one. expensive, but looks good. the plastic casing on the original steel cables had deteriorated badly.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

United States of America
mjk1040
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 1998 355 AC/MY "Deja Vu"

Postby mjk1040 » November 7th, 2018, 4:15 am

Sweet idea Cpoint. I have a canvas guy that could make them for me! Are they adjustable or ridged? Appear 2be ridged.
Mike :down:
I'd Rather Be Boating!
1989 Sea Ray Seville
1986 Carver Mariner 32'
1990's Thompson 22' Cuddy Cabin
1990's 4Winns 245 Vista Cruiser
1980's Thompson 19' Open Bow

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Postby Viper » November 7th, 2018, 7:00 am

g36 wrote:Source of the post The versions with the door ithink at year 1998 have solid fiberglass walls and not the acrylic panels. It would not be wise to mount anything to the acrylic panels do to strength issues and if they break your pretty screwed on getting a match. On my 97 405 which has the same acrylic panels I made a sunbrella piece that covers the door area and can be snapped open or closed. I also have thought about a plastic that could be slid sideways from the inside to make a door but sunbrella is easier and fine for my needs. Maybe someone else has a idea too.
I agree. I've seen canvas and sliding panels used. I saw one sliding panel that had a King Starboard track installed on the deck that the panel slid on. In the closed position, it latched to the vertical SS rail so it was pretty secure. When opened, the panel would disappear behind a custom made bench and backrest across the back of the deck. Worked really well but I wonder how much of a tripping hazard that was. The track was pretty low profile but I don't know if I'd want anything protruding on the deck right at an opening. Best working/looking sliding option that I've seen though.

United States of America
cpoint
Commander
Commander

Postby cpoint » November 8th, 2018, 12:27 am

mjk1040 wrote:Source of the post Sweet idea Cpoint. I have a canvas guy that could make them for me! Are they adjustable or ridged? Appear 2be ridged.

Stainless steel. not adjustable. both sides were off by 1/4 inch. had to measure several times. but they can easily be opened and closed, also feels safer when going by there now.

United States of America
mjk1040
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 1998 355 AC/MY "Deja Vu"

Postby mjk1040 » November 8th, 2018, 5:39 am

Cpoint; do you have to completely remove to use that boarding area or can you pull one end and let it drop without hitting the deck?
Mike :down:
I'd Rather Be Boating!
1989 Sea Ray Seville
1986 Carver Mariner 32'
1990's Thompson 22' Cuddy Cabin
1990's 4Winns 245 Vista Cruiser
1980's Thompson 19' Open Bow

United States of America
cpoint
Commander
Commander

Postby cpoint » November 9th, 2018, 1:16 am

mjk1040 wrote:Source of the post Cpoint; do you have to completely remove to use that boarding area or can you pull one end and let it drop without hitting the deck?

No, only one side is removed and it will swing up or down. I will put more detail pictures, what I did next time I go. I used the part where life line was hooked up to. Thats why it was difficult finding the end cap with double prongs (not sure what is called), since there was single eye as part of the existing where life line gate hooked up to.

Return to “General Repairs & Maintenance”