Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

2 batteries 1issue

Anything related to the operation of your boat. Steering, Bilge Pumps, thru-hulls, bottom paint, etc.

Topic author United States of America
ataylor233
Deck Hand
Deck Hand

2 batteries 1issue

Postby ataylor233 » June 30th, 2018, 11:18 am

OK so I replaced both batteries in my Carver 3207 1987 i figured now would be a good time to label the batteries 1and 2 well anyway I can start the boat just fine on battery 1 but battery 2 brand new in great shape will not start the boat... I hear a sort of ark coming from the battery switch.... I'm thinking I should replace it... But maybe this is the way its supposed to be? Maybe battery 2 is considered house bank?

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Re: 2 batteries 1issue

Postby bud37 » June 30th, 2018, 12:27 pm

Check the back of your battery switch for corrosion or loose terminals....did #2 start the boat before ?....I don't see why it would be wired just house, but you never know what the previous people have done before you, may need some further testing with a volt meter. Also is your switch a 1-all-2 type ?
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Postby Viper » June 30th, 2018, 5:51 pm

Both engines should start off the battery that the selection switch is switched to. Look for a poor connection or bad component such as the battery switch to start.

United States of America
km1125
Admiral
Admiral

Postby km1125 » July 1st, 2018, 9:10 am

You do need to figure out the wiring just in case someone else changed it before you.

From the factory, it probably was similar to mine. There were two batteries and a off-1-both-2 switch. Whereever you selected the switch, that's what both engines and the house ran on. If you don't have a separate house bank, that's probably what it is configured as. If you look at the connections at the back of the switch (taking the connectors off of course) and don't see any corrosion, then I'd replace the switch. Some switched you can open up and clean the contacts inside.

And to specifically answer this question: "I hear a sort of ark coming from the battery switch.... I'm thinking I should replace it... But maybe this is the way its supposed to be?"... the answer is NO, you should never hear arcing from the switch!!

ALSO, when working on the switch, make sure you disconnect BOTH batteries at the batteries so you don't have ANY possibility of shorting something out while you're working on the switch!

United States of America
seaweed
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 2001 Carver 356 AC

Postby seaweed » July 1st, 2018, 4:50 pm

Are you sure the noise is coming from the battery switch or is it the starter solenoid clicking rapidly? I'm experiencing the same no start condition with a rapid solenoid clicking on one of my brand new batteries. I suspect a bad ground connection, but haven't checked it out yet.

Return to “General Repairs & Maintenance”