Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Ice maker 355 how to remove

Anything related to the operation of your boat. Steering, Bilge Pumps, thru-hulls, bottom paint, etc.

Topic author United States of America
tgmkwill
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 1997 355 Carver Aft

Ice maker 355 how to remove

Postby tgmkwill » July 6th, 2018, 6:57 am

1997 355 u line ice maker in aft deck. Any tips on how to remove this ice maker from the large enclosure on the aft deck?

Mine also had the small sink. Ice maker all off a sudden will not turn on. No fan or compressor. nothing.

Going to make sure it is getting power first. Is there an outlet inside the wet bar enclosure the ice maker is in? I have checked all breakers and GFI outlets. Any ideas how the power is wired to this area?

The outlet right next to the wet bar area does work, although you sometimes have to juggle the cord. Thanks for any input.

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Re: Ice maker 355 how to remove

Postby Viper » July 6th, 2018, 7:36 am

Welcome aboard.
The unit should be fastened with screws on the flange/frame around the perimeter. There should be an outlet in the compartment behind the unit. There's a breaker at the panel and a rocker switch on the unit itself. Was it working for you then suddenly stop, or was this the first time turning it on this season? Pull the cover off the timer and turn the gear manually. Ensure the off lever on the right is down. When you turn the gear, the inlet water valve should activate and if you continue to turn it, the compressor should come on. If these happen, you may have a bad timer. If nothing happens when you turn the gear and you've confirmed there is power to the unit, it could be a number of things but the above is a good/easy start.

United States of America
g36
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 1997 Carver 405

Postby g36 » July 6th, 2018, 7:51 am

it will be plugged into a outlet that is in the access compartment under the sink and if you look up high in the back of the cabinet you should see it plugged in . it also could be stuck in between cycles and not starting compressor etc, BUT hold up on just manually turning the timing gear. you must verify what control you have, if its the pictured one i linked too below then you mus not manually turn it but instead take a short piece of wire and short between T and H. this will initiate a ice harvest cycle. what you should see is the gear slowly turning and making a revolution which will kick on the compressor etc when finished.

https://express.google.com/product/6507 ... XgodDiMHJw
1997 Carver 405
Crusader xli
The Black Pearl
Soddy Daisy Tn.

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter

Postby Viper » July 6th, 2018, 7:56 am

g36 is correct about turning that particular type of timer but I was referring to the one that actually looks like a "gear" with teeth.

tgmkwill
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Postby tgmkwill » July 8th, 2018, 2:25 am

Thanks ! problem solved. The outlet behind the ice maker was loose, tightened that up, cleaned the prongs on the ice maker plug. the ice maker was tied into either the microwave or water heater breakers on my panel. Because those were "off." Going to replace to the outlet behind the ice maker for good measure . Just had the boat for two months now. Thanks again for the information! Cranking out the ice right now!

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter

Postby Viper » July 8th, 2018, 9:17 am

You should consider adding a separate breaker for the ice maker. All three of those items you mentioned should be on their own breaker and not tied into anything else.

United States of America
Wayne162
Captain
Captain
"Change In Latitude"
Home port - Charleston, South Carolina

Postby Wayne162 » July 8th, 2018, 9:38 am

One last recommendation to the Ice maker. When you have it out, I recommend replacing all water lines. The Ice maker on my 1997 405's failed this spring and when touched they crumbled from age.
:usa:

United States of America
g36
Admiral
Admiral

Postby g36 » July 8th, 2018, 10:32 am

X2 on replacing plastic water lines
1997 Carver 405
Crusader xli
The Black Pearl
Soddy Daisy Tn.

tgmkwill
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Postby tgmkwill » July 10th, 2018, 6:09 pm

Thanks for the tip about the water lines, the water and microwave each has the own breaker my plan is trace the ice maker power supply backwards to see where it is tied and then run a separate power line back to the AC panel and a breaker just for ice maker. I was surprised when we got th boat there was no breaker just for ice maker. Great info on this forum, never thought ice makers were so complex for such a simple concept!

Canada
daveS
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: ☀️Sanity Sol☀️
1999 350 Mariner

Postby daveS » July 11th, 2018, 10:41 pm

I cut off the water line and made it into a beer fridge. Water from the tank into ice is not what i want in my drink.

Return to “General Repairs & Maintenance”