Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

405 Aft Cabin AC Issues

Anything related to the operation of your boat. Steering, Bilge Pumps, thru-hulls, bottom paint, etc.

Topic author United States of America
Kendaukcat
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

405 Aft Cabin AC Issues

Postby Kendaukcat » July 17th, 2018, 7:42 am

Good Morning!

Let me preface this post by stating I am not a DYI guy. I am trying to do better, but history is not on my side as far as troubleshooting system issues.

So anyway...here we go:

The AC in our 1998 405 Aft Cabin has worked remarkably well for the first month of ownership. It was almost too cold...but has made for excellent sleeping.

This past Saturday, we took her out on the river for about 4 hours. We ran the generator the entire time, as I wanted to get it some exercise. It had not run since we splashed the boat on June 1. We took the boat out again on Sunday, but did not run the generator.

Last night we noticed that the AC performance was nowhere near where it had been. I turned off the ACs at the panel and checked the strainer. It was in the dirtiest I have ever seen it...but I don't think that is saying much. The boat has been out of the slip 4 times. I attributed the lack of cleanliness to running the generator while underway on Saturday. I cleaned the strainer and put everything back together.

When I fired the ACs back up, the forward AC was working as expected. However, the aft AC blows...but with no cold air. I checked port and starboard, and both AC pumps were spitting as expected. I am not sure where the intake is (my manual did not have a diagram), but it does not appear that any vents are being blocked.

So...I am at the end of my rope in troubleshooting. Before I write a check, I was wondering if anyone had run into this issue before?

Sorry for the long post...I just wanted to get as much detail as I know out there.

Thank You in Advance!

Ken

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Re: 405 Aft Cabin AC Issues

Postby bud37 » July 17th, 2018, 8:35 am

Hopefully someone with a 405 or the like will chime in.....but a couple questions, what raw water strainer did you check and did you clean it.....the AC one is under the floor near the galley and it feeds both AC units , yes.

The generator would have nothing to do with the AC water intake.

What intake are you looking for ? Check out this parts manual....section 16.4

https://carveryachts.blob.core.windows. ... ual_98.pdf
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

United States of America
tomschauer
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1998 Carver 355
Suspicious Fishes !
2022 Kawasaki 310X

Postby tomschauer » July 17th, 2018, 8:37 am

does the aft cabin unit thermostat show a code, such as HPF?

Canada
Midnightsun
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: The Midnight Sun
2007 41CMY
Volvo D6-370's

Postby Midnightsun » July 17th, 2018, 8:53 am

Silly question but is it in cool mode at the thermostat? Been there done that. :blush:
Cheers, Hans
2007 Carver 41 CMY
Twin Volvo D6-370's
Montreal, Canada
Midnight Sun I Photos

Kendaukcat
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Postby Kendaukcat » July 17th, 2018, 8:58 am

The aft Thermostat is operational. Sitting on 78-80 degrees. The fan is not on auto and is sitting on a speed of 6. There is no code...just the temperature. I think I have the temperature set for 68...would that not automatically put it into cool mode? Thank you for all of the replies...I really appreciate the help.

Ken

Kendaukcat
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Postby Kendaukcat » July 17th, 2018, 9:02 am

Sorry, I forgot to respond about the strainer. Yes, I did clean the strainer. It was pretty gunked up due to running the generator out on the River (my analysis, anyway) I have been pretty diligent about cleaning it weekly. It is located between the forward head and the galley.

Canada
Midnightsun
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: The Midnight Sun
2007 41CMY
Volvo D6-370's

Postby Midnightsun » July 17th, 2018, 9:17 am

Kendaukcat wrote:Source of the post The aft Thermostat is operational. Sitting on 78-80 degrees. The fan is not on auto and is sitting on a speed of 6. There is no code...just the temperature. I think I have the temperature set for 68...would that not automatically put it into cool mode? Thank you for all of the replies...I really appreciate the help.

Ken

Maybe yours is different but mine has cool, heat, dehumidify or automatic. Then for the fan selection there is on or automatic. If in heat mode then no matter how cold I set it, it will never cool.
Cheers, Hans
2007 Carver 41 CMY
Twin Volvo D6-370's
Montreal, Canada
Midnight Sun I Photos

United States of America
km1125
Admiral
Admiral

Postby km1125 » July 17th, 2018, 9:20 am

Kendaukcat wrote:Source of the post Sorry, I forgot to respond about the strainer. Yes, I did clean the strainer. It was pretty gunked up due to running the generator out on the River (my analysis, anyway) I have been pretty diligent about cleaning it weekly. It is located between the forward head and the galley.

I think he was wondering if you also cleaned the strainer for the A/C, which would be different than the one for the generator.

btw, if one was gunked up, did you check and clean them all?

Kendaukcat
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Postby Kendaukcat » July 17th, 2018, 9:50 am

Midnightsun wrote:Source of the post
Kendaukcat wrote:Source of the post The aft Thermostat is operational. Sitting on 78-80 degrees. The fan is not on auto and is sitting on a speed of 6. There is no code...just the temperature. I think I have the temperature set for 68...would that not automatically put it into cool mode? Thank you for all of the replies...I really appreciate the help.

Ken

Maybe yours is different but mine has cool, heat, dehumidify or automatic. Then for the fan selection there is on or automatic. If in heat mode then no matter how cold I set it, it will never cool.

I bet this is it. Now I just need to figure out how to toggle between the modes :-D

Kendaukcat
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Postby Kendaukcat » July 17th, 2018, 9:52 am

km1125 wrote:Source of the post
Kendaukcat wrote:Source of the post Sorry, I forgot to respond about the strainer. Yes, I did clean the strainer. It was pretty gunked up due to running the generator out on the River (my analysis, anyway) I have been pretty diligent about cleaning it weekly. It is located between the forward head and the galley.

I think he was wondering if you also cleaned the strainer for the A/C, which would be different than the one for the generator.

btw, if one was gunked up, did you check and clean them all?

Yes, I did clean the AC strainer (the one that was gunked up)..probably a really good idea to check the rest of them as well.

Return to “General Repairs & Maintenance”