Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Overheating 6.5k kohler Gen resolved

Anything related to the operation of your boat. Steering, Bilge Pumps, thru-hulls, bottom paint, etc.

Topic author United States of America
Wkuhilltopperfan
Deck Hand
Deck Hand
Vessel Info: 1998. Mariner 350 . Twin 7.4 engines / kholer 6.5 gas Genset

Overheating 6.5k kohler Gen resolved

Postby Wkuhilltopperfan » July 22nd, 2018, 4:31 pm

Hey guys and gals! I live in a area where the waters can get up in the 90’s and it’s caused Generator overheating shutting down year after year for me in my 350 Mariner. I’ve been told that the factory heat exchanger was just not big enough for water this warm. I purchased a secondary water to water heat exchanger which I located outside of the generator housing, this not only allowed for a better cooling it also added almost another 1/2 gallon of antifreeze to the closed loop system. I’ll attach a few photos and the results I got .... I was very excited with a 70 deg reduction in heat and that was before the water hit the factory heat exchanger.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1998 350 Mariner

Canada
Midnightsun
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: The Midnight Sun
2007 41CMY
Volvo D6-370's

Re: Overheating 6.5k kohler Gen resolved

Postby Midnightsun » July 22nd, 2018, 5:10 pm

Thanks for the thorough write up. It's posts like this that make our forum so valuable to all. :clap:
Cheers, Hans
2007 Carver 41 CMY
Twin Volvo D6-370's
Montreal, Canada
Midnight Sun I Photos

Wkuhilltopperfan
Deck Hand
Deck Hand

Postby Wkuhilltopperfan » July 22nd, 2018, 5:29 pm

Midnightsun wrote:Source of the post Thanks for the thorough write up. It's posts like this that make our forum so valuable to all. :clap:

I know I have alway appreciated others making post like this, us do it yourselfers need this stuff lol . Thanks for the kind words
1998 350 Mariner

United States of America
km1125
Admiral
Admiral

Postby km1125 » July 22nd, 2018, 9:37 pm

Is that the actual sea water temperature you're measuring and it dropped from 167F to 96F??

Wkuhilltopperfan
Deck Hand
Deck Hand

Postby Wkuhilltopperfan » July 22nd, 2018, 10:45 pm

km1125 wrote:Source of the post Is that the actual sea water temperature you're measuring and it dropped from 167F to 96F??

The water temp coming out of the generator was 167 and after it came out of the new heat exchanger I installed it had cooled back down to 97 before it went back into the generator. I took the water temp this morning and it was 88 degrees after all the rain we have had. So it’s pulling the water temperature down to within 10 degrees of the lake water. Just remember this is a closed loop system that uses antifreeze and only uses the lake or sea water to pull the heat away from the generator. Some generator setups only use lake or sea water for all cooling
1998 350 Mariner

Virgin Islands (USA)
cordesjoanne
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Postby cordesjoanne » July 23rd, 2018, 6:08 am

You can get the best advice from the generator and engine study expert from CSDG - http://csdieselgenerators.com/contact-us/

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Postby Viper » July 23rd, 2018, 6:44 am

:clap:

Return to “General Repairs & Maintenance”