Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Carver 350 engine meter

Anything related to the operation of your boat. Steering, Bilge Pumps, thru-hulls, bottom paint, etc.

Topic author United States of America
Blake
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 2002 Carver 350

Carver 350 engine meter

Postby Blake » August 3rd, 2018, 1:02 pm

greetings,

I have an issue with my starboard and port engine hour meters not keeping accurate hours. According to the meter, I have added 29 hours on port (this sounds correct) and only 18 on starboard.

I always run both engines, so they should be within minutes of each other.

I know you can read the actual hours off the engine but the previous owner replaced starboard meter for same concern, so obviously NOT a problem with the meter itself.

Somewhat related question, what is everyone getting economy-wise per hour? If my port meter is correct I am burning approximately 11.4 gallons per hour running at 3400 RPM. I have Mercruiser 6.2L MPI engines.

Thanks in advance!

United States of America
tomschauer
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1998 Carver 355
Suspicious Fishes !
2022 Kawasaki 310X

Re: Carver 350 engine meter

Postby tomschauer » August 3rd, 2018, 1:12 pm

Whenever the key is in the on position, whether the engine is running or not, the hour meter clicks forward. Maybe the key was left on?

Blake
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Postby Blake » August 3rd, 2018, 1:16 pm

Sorry, I should have included this....

I am actually in the habit of taking both keys out of the cylinder when off. That would make sense if the port engine was unusually higher, but I think the port meter is actually correct.

The starboard does not seem to be tracking correct and was already replaced once.

Thanks.

Blake
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Postby Blake » August 5th, 2018, 12:17 pm

More info and question.

As mentioned my SB engine meter not tracking correctly. I noticed during cruise yesterday that my engine synch gauge shows full Port above 3000 rpm. At same time I noticed SB meter did not move at all.

Off plane the synch gauge moved off full Port and the SB meter began to clock again.

So it seems whatever is messing with my engine synch gauge also messes with engine hour meter.

Thoughts or suggestions?

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Postby bud37 » August 5th, 2018, 12:38 pm

It may just be the sync gage itself gone/going bad....they aren't the greatest for reliable.....try to disconnect it and see what the result is.
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Postby Viper » August 5th, 2018, 2:22 pm

The meter might have a problem that's affecting ignition circuit voltage which the synch gauge relies on as well but I'd expect you'd notice anomilies with the other gauges as well if that were the case. What does your volt meter say? It could simply be that you have a problem with the sync gauge as well now. Are both tachs accurate? The sync gauge uses the tach signal as well to operate. If you don't get anywhere with determining the hour meter problem, check to see if there is an additional oil pressure switch. Some hour meter systems are hooked up that way so that they only operate when the engines are running, in the pressence of oil pressure.

Blake
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Postby Blake » August 5th, 2018, 4:08 pm

Thanks! So today the synch gauge read correctly and the SB engine hour meter worked perfect. Kept exactly same time as Port meter.

So, could the synch gauge effect the engine hours? Or vice verse?

Battery shows charging like 14 volts underway.

So when synch gauge works the SB meter works. I’m looking for schematics to see what feeds what.

All other gauges read normal.

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Postby bud37 » August 5th, 2018, 5:46 pm

The sync gage basically compares the tach signals from each engine and shows you which one is more or less so the engines can be matched...a short in this particular gage can create some hard to trace issues. Mine acts up the odd time as well but does not affect the hr meters so far.
There should be a schematic in the owners manual that may help..I will look at mine ( same boat )..good luck man.
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

Blake
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Postby Blake » August 5th, 2018, 5:53 pm

Thanks!! I know it doesn’t make sense but when synch gauge works the engine hours works.

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Postby bud37 » August 5th, 2018, 7:09 pm

Well sorry, but I can not find the dash wiring schematic..it may be with the engine manuals......perhaps at the boat.....not in the users manual like I thought, again sorry about that.. :cry:

You may have to crawl behind the jump seat ... :-O ...and follow some wires around, and check connections back there.There also may be a module between the gage and the tachs....depending on what gages you have.

Return to “General Repairs & Maintenance”