Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

326 Aft Cabin Ventilation

Anything related to the operation of your boat. Steering, Bilge Pumps, thru-hulls, bottom paint, etc.

Topic author United States of America
steveoh
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

326 Aft Cabin Ventilation

Postby steveoh » August 6th, 2018, 11:04 pm

We looked at a 1999 326 Aft Cabin today (the first Carver we've looked at) and liked it very much except we were surprised that the side windows in the main salon do not open. It was noticeably warm inside the boat even after having the front hatch, rear sliding glass door, and a couple port holes open for a while. With that said, it was unusually hot for coastal San Diego today and also, I observed that the breeze was blowing straight at the side of the boat which would be that absolute worst direction given that it wasn't blowing in through the front hatch or rear slider. So, my question to anyone that owns a 326 (or any other Carver with the same configuration), does the boat seem to get adequate ventilation? Also, have you done any thing to help the situation, such as a hatch air scoop or fans?
Thanks.
Steve

United States of America
g36
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 1997 Carver 405

Re: 326 Aft Cabin Ventilation

Postby g36 » August 7th, 2018, 8:14 am

hello. i have a different model carver aft cabin however that was one of the reasons i chose the 1997 model i did. we saw several nice boats but wanted windows that opened as we had in our previous boat. seems that carver had changed the style of windows of the salon windows in apx 1998. and living in tennessee we do have some very nice fall and spring days and even early mornings in the summer and opening the windows is great. it lets in so much more air than just the forward hatch etc. personaly i didnt feel that there would be enough ventilation. i use an inverter and i dont want to run my genset all day for air condtioning. so if you like that style you made to look for boats made before 1998 or so. yachtworld currently has a 96 326 that the salon windows open. i've not any leaks although some people have reported them on different boats so theres always a good and bad with things i guess.
1997 Carver 405
Crusader xli
The Black Pearl
Soddy Daisy Tn.

Topic author United States of America
steveoh
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Postby steveoh » August 7th, 2018, 11:00 pm

Thanks.

United States of America
tomschauer
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1998 Carver 355
Suspicious Fishes !
2022 Kawasaki 310X

Postby tomschauer » August 23rd, 2018, 11:18 pm

I am surprised, they don't open. On the other hand, if they don't open, you don't have to worry about leaks and replacing weather stripping, which is an issue on most boats, mine included!

United States of America
g36
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 1997 Carver 405

Postby g36 » August 26th, 2018, 11:13 am

Just cause they don't open doesn't mean they won't leak. While searching for our carver we got on a 406 that had non opening salon windows .our 405 does open and it had leaked so bad the wood wall was rotted under the window. Couldn't believe it .
1997 Carver 405
Crusader xli
The Black Pearl
Soddy Daisy Tn.

United States of America
Bentone23
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 1996 Carver 355 Aft Cabin
454 xls EFI

Postby Bentone23 » November 10th, 2018, 12:31 am

I bought fans and that helps lots. I have a fan in front of the ac vent in the salon, one that I move from the kitchen to the couch and another for the dining table. There is also one in each cabin. Mine are 120 volt, but I imagine a guy could get 12 volt ones and do the same thing.
Bruce Bennett
Bentone23@sbcglobal.net
1996 355 Aft Cabin
Central California
Boating on the Delta and SF Bay

Return to “General Repairs & Maintenance”