Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Best cleaner for cabin water damage (pic included)

Anything related to the operation of your boat. Steering, Bilge Pumps, thru-hulls, bottom paint, etc.

Topic author United States of America
390Express
Captain
Captain
Vessel Info: 1996 390 Trojan Express

Best cleaner for cabin water damage (pic included)

Postby 390Express » August 16th, 2018, 6:18 pm

My boat had an issue with leaking at the bow rail that has since been repaired, but it left an ugly front panel near the bed. The panel continues past the closet and removing it does not appear to be an option. I’m considering adding a decorative panel over it, but hoping to clean it first. What’s the best cleaner? Any other creative solutions? Dye? Bleach then dye?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Canada
Marty
Deck Hand
Deck Hand
Vessel Info: 2000 326 AFT Cabin

Re: Best cleaner for cabin water damage (pic included)

Postby Marty » August 16th, 2018, 6:33 pm

Try Concrobium mold and mildew control. Spray a couple times and let dry and should make a significant difference.

You can pick up at Home Depot in Canada at least.

Good luck!

Liechtenstein
chpsk8
First Mate
First Mate
Vessel Info: 1995 Carver Aft Cabin Motor Yacht... Hull #001

Postby chpsk8 » August 17th, 2018, 2:06 pm

I've had to deal with that type of stain in a previous boat.
The method I found best was a 2:1 ratio of hydrogen peroxide to dawn dishwashing liquid (blue).
Mix a batch in a spray bottle.
The dawn is a surfactent and will keep the peroxide on the surface.
Spray a 1'x1' area liberally. Let it sit a couple minutes, then use a stiff bristly brush and work in the solution in a circular pattern. Be careful not to be too aggressive and damage the fabric.
Let it sit a couple more minutes, then with clean white rags wipe the area. Keep turning the rag so it's using a clean area. You'll see the brown transfer to the rag.
It'll take a few applications, but at this point you have nothing to lose. Don't saturate it too much in case it loosens the adhesive.

Topic author United States of America
390Express
Captain
Captain
Vessel Info: 1996 390 Trojan Express

Postby 390Express » August 26th, 2018, 2:57 pm

Marty wrote:Source of the post Try Concrobium mold and mildew control. Spray a couple times and let dry and should make a significant difference.

You can pick up at Home Depot in Canada at least.

Good luck!

I picked up some Concrobium. It may have been necessary to kill the mold, but it didn't do anything noticeable in terms of getting rid of the stain. Virtually no difference from start to finish after using a whole bottle of the product on a 24 sq ft area, three applications.

chpsk8 wrote:Source of the post I've had to deal with that type of stain in a previous boat.
The method I found best was a 2:1 ratio of hydrogen peroxide to dawn dishwashing liquid (blue).
Mix a batch in a spray bottle.
The dawn is a surfactent and will keep the peroxide on the surface.
Spray a 1'x1' area liberally. Let it sit a couple minutes, then use a stiff bristly brush and work in the solution in a circular pattern. Be careful not to be too aggressive and damage the fabric.
Let it sit a couple more minutes, then with clean white rags wipe the area. Keep turning the rag so it's using a clean area. You'll see the brown transfer to the rag.
It'll take a few applications, but at this point you have nothing to lose. Don't saturate it too much in case it loosens the adhesive.

CHPSK8, I've used this mix before with good results. I found that two additions make it much more effective 1) around 20% distilled white vinegar, and 2) baking soda. I treated about half of the effected area and it looks a ton better. Sprayed on the solution and sprinkled on some baking soda, dry, and scrubbed it into the stain making sort of a paste. Scrubbed it off and rinsed with white vinegar and water in a hand-held carpet cleaner. I have two more treatments to do and I'll post the results. It already looks a lot better than it did.

Liechtenstein
chpsk8
First Mate
First Mate
Vessel Info: 1995 Carver Aft Cabin Motor Yacht... Hull #001

Postby chpsk8 » August 26th, 2018, 8:56 pm

Nice, what are your ratios for vinegar and baking soda? I have good results, but can ALWAYS use a more potent version.

United States of America
1992330aftcabin
Deck Hand
Deck Hand
Vessel Info: 1992 330 Carver aft cabin

Postby 1992330aftcabin » April 21st, 2019, 11:06 am

I read your post looking for help removing a stain. I tried the dawn and peroxide with a water and vinegar rinse. I found that when I sprayed just vinegar and water let sit for five minutes then vacuum with a shop vacuum it removed all the stain without doing the first step.

Thanks for steering me in the. Right direction.

Return to “General Repairs & Maintenance”