Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

No Air Con when using generator

Anything related to the operation of your boat. Steering, Bilge Pumps, thru-hulls, bottom paint, etc.

Topic author Liechtenstein
chpsk8
First Mate
First Mate
Vessel Info: 1995 Carver Aft Cabin Motor Yacht... Hull #001

No Air Con when using generator

Postby chpsk8 » August 31st, 2018, 10:26 pm

Hello.
My new to me 95 355 Aft Cabin has air and a generator. During the survey and a couple other times I was on the boat we had AC and the generator running while out on the water. The previous owner isn't around this week so I can't ask.

Here's my issue...
I had the AC running, then went to leave the slip. I disconnected the shore power lines, went in and started the generator without changing anything on the panel. Neither AC unit powered up after that. No lights on the AC control panels at all.
I flipped every configuration of switches I could think of with no joy. I see amps and volts on the shore power 1 meter. Nothing on shore power 2. AC is tied to shore power 2 when plugged in.

When we got back to the slip I plugged into shore power and the AC kicked right on like nothing happened.

Genny is a Kohler if that helps. I'm thinking I'm just missing something simple, but I can't figure it out.

Thanks for the help .

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Re: No Air Con when using generator

Postby bud37 » September 1st, 2018, 5:57 am

Have you tried the breaker on the generator......there is one on the box there, throw it off and then on then start the gen.......this would only apply if there was no power to either side of the AC power, if you have it on one side there has been a recent thread about just that , pics and all, maybe a quick search, if I remember right there is a fair bit of good info on it........good luck man....
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Postby Viper » September 1st, 2018, 7:53 am

Pretty sure some 355s have source relays. When you turn the generator on, does the source voltage switch automatically to generator power or do you have to switch a breaker from shore to the generator position? If you don't have to, then there is an auto transfer relay likely behind the breaker panel who's one side has failed or there is a poor connection at the #2 source terminals.

United States of America
km1125
Admiral
Admiral

Postby km1125 » September 1st, 2018, 9:33 am

If this has the automatic switching relays, then it sounds like one of your relays is bad. Someone else on here had a very similar issue not too long ago.

IIRC, The relays are in a box behind the electrical panel. Be careful to make sure the circuits are dead before you go poking around in there, especially because you have two sources (shore and genset) and two different circuits ("1" and "2" or "A" and "B"). SAFETY FIRST!

chpsk8
First Mate
First Mate

Postby chpsk8 » September 1st, 2018, 1:54 pm

Thanks for the leads. I have power on shore 1 when the gen is running, but no power on shore 2. When we did the sea trial we went from shore power to generator with no flipping of switches.
I'll wait for the family to take a long walk and then kill all the power and start with just tightening connections. If that does'nt work I'll swap the two relays and see if I can move the problem so shore 1 doesn't have power.
First though, I need to figure out where that thread is so I can see some pictures!

United States of America
km1125
Admiral
Admiral

Postby km1125 » September 1st, 2018, 6:48 pm

Here ya go... it was under "auto transfer switch" (and there are pictures!):

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=3336&p=22518&hilit=transfer#p22518

chpsk8
First Mate
First Mate

Postby chpsk8 » September 10th, 2018, 12:27 pm

km1125 wrote:Source of the post Here ya go... it was under "auto transfer switch" (and there are pictures!):

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=3336&p=22518&hilit=transfer#p22518

Thanks for the lead! I fixed it.. here's my synopsis.

Thanks to this thread I was able to track down the auto switching relay. It was in my electrical panel at the top behind the volt/amp gauges.

When I took the panel apart there were two burned out wires. I believe they shorted due to an issue with the shore power cable not being tightly connected and shorting out at some point. I went to West Marine and bought some 600v cable and replaced those wires and at the same time replaced the auto relay using the Amazon link referenced earlier.
The part was called "NTE Electronics R04-11A30-120 Series R4 General Purpose Multicontact AC Open Frame Relay, Heavy Duty, DPDT Contact Arrangement, 30 Amp, 120 VAC"
It was a perfect match. I killed all power to the boat including the 12v sources. Checked the panel for voltage and then dove in and swapped out the part. Pretty simple to do. Just change one wire at a time and work clockwise around the relay until everything is done. I tied back a couple stray wires just to make it a little neater in there.

Thought I would loop back on this just in case anyone else has the same issue and just add my experience.

United States of America
km1125
Admiral
Admiral

Postby km1125 » September 10th, 2018, 4:39 pm

Thanks for closing the loop! It's always nice to hear when someone resolves the problem that was reported!!

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Postby Viper » September 11th, 2018, 6:42 am

Thanks for the follow up and glad you got it working.

Return to “General Repairs & Maintenance”