Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

350 Mariner Holding Tank Filter

Anything related to the operation of your boat. Steering, Bilge Pumps, thru-hulls, bottom paint, etc.

Topic author United States of America
grizer
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 1998 Carver 350 Mariner

350 Mariner Holding Tank Filter

Postby grizer » September 4th, 2018, 3:23 pm

Hello, I have a 1998 350 Mariner. Does anyone know if this boat has a Holding Tank Filter? If it does, how often should it be replaced and where is it located specifically? I am getting an odor when away for the week and I return. Thanks!

United States of America
SanJuanDreamer
First Mate
First Mate
Vessel Info: Still Searching

Re: 350 Mariner Holding Tank Filter

Postby SanJuanDreamer » September 4th, 2018, 3:50 pm

I "had" a 98 Mariner….and I've worked the sanitation system.
I cant recall seeing a inline air filter on mine.
I did find the toilet macerator pump had two compartments, the front section of the macerator pulled the stuff in, ground it and sent it to the tank.
Directly behind the grinder was an impellor, its hose connection lead to a through hull valve located just to the right of the fring in the bilge.
I never used the through hull because I didn't want to pump sea water to my holding tank.
What was happeing is some of the stuff was seeping past the grinder seal and into the impeller area.
It was just sitting there getting ripe, when I pushed to flush, that same stuff which had been there for so long was then pulled to the top of the bowl.
What didnt make it out into the bowl, siphoned back to the impeller section.
I rebuilt the macerator, but I think its a design flaw.
I converted the system to pull water from a separate 5 gallon fresh water tank, which solved the problem.

United States of America
denpooch
Commander
Commander
Vessel Info: 2005 360 Mariner
Crusader 6.0 Captains Choice

Postby denpooch » September 4th, 2018, 7:06 pm

You can probably call Carver and they will likely lead you to the filter.
On my 2005, the filter lives behind the top drawer under the kitchen cabinet against the bulkhead. Perhaps determine where the head vents outside and estimate where they coincides inside the cabin. It may be installed somewhere near the vent.
Mine is a long tubular device.

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Postby bud37 » September 4th, 2018, 8:02 pm

If you want to know for sure, under the cushion next to the galley, there is a big tub, remove it and you can crawl in there and look at the head vent line.....never know a PO could have put a filter in and that is the likely spot as the hose goes right thru there, up to the outlet.....smell ya later :-D
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

United States of America
g36
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 1997 Carver 405

Postby g36 » September 5th, 2018, 9:30 am

my carver didnt have a filter on the vents i did however make my own. works the same and way cheaper than what you are going to buy. however whether or not you have one you may need to consider something like this product it helps alot with odor and breakdown.
/www.marinesan.com/Noflex-digestor-p/noflex.htm
1997 Carver 405
Crusader xli
The Black Pearl
Soddy Daisy Tn.

Return to “General Repairs & Maintenance”