Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

1982 Mariner value as project / part boat

Anything related to the operation of your boat. Steering, Bilge Pumps, thru-hulls, bottom paint, etc.

Topic author Canada
denders
Deck Hand
Deck Hand
Vessel Info: 1985 Carver 3607 Aft Cabin

1982 Mariner value as project / part boat

Postby denders » September 23rd, 2018, 9:10 pm

So - bad news taking the boat out this year. The bow started to buckle at the lift points. We know we had some water issues over the last few seasons ( long story ). So between the soft hull , propeller shaft issues and 2 pumps to replace we have decided it's time to stop the money drain. We are looking for forum input on the value for a 1982 Mariner that is at end of life. Yes , we could fix the fiberglass and probably have the marina pull the engine and replace the shaft but there are too many other things wrong with the boat for us to continue to put money into it ( engines are at 2000 hours, subfloor in the salon needs replacing etc etc ). If I were to part it out on ebay - there are two engines and transmissions that alone would be in the 10,000.00 range

Any thoughts on a value for an end of life carver ?

Thanks in advance

Canada
Midnightsun
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: The Midnight Sun
2007 41CMY
Volvo D6-370's

Re: 1982 Mariner value as project / part boat

Postby Midnightsun » September 24th, 2018, 5:00 am

Really sounds like end of the rope for the old gal by your description. Only thing I can say is 2000hr engines/transmissions that are 36 years old are not really worth much if anything any more. Unfortunately I believe the bottom line is she will be difficult to dispose of never mind sell.
Cheers, Hans
2007 Carver 41 CMY
Twin Volvo D6-370's
Montreal, Canada
Midnight Sun I Photos

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Postby bud37 » September 24th, 2018, 5:48 am

You will have to consider the cost of the hull disposal into all this, in most cases not cheap......might make a project for someone if it was real cheap or free....I agree with Hans about the mechanicals.....sometimes its better to move it along and let someone else part it, maybe a marine salvage yard around here would be interested, worth a couple calls I think......
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Postby Viper » September 24th, 2018, 6:49 am

What kind of engines are they? Where is she located? You may want to try a Kijiji, there's always someone on there looking for deal.

United States of America
tomschauer
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1998 Carver 355
Suspicious Fishes !
2022 Kawasaki 310X

Postby tomschauer » September 24th, 2018, 9:59 pm

Think of donating to boat angel or something similar. You get a tax write off and someone will benefit from your situation.

Sorry to hear of the problems, best of luck.

Return to “General Repairs & Maintenance”