Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Best Wax & Procedure

Anything related to the operation of your boat. Steering, Bilge Pumps, thru-hulls, bottom paint, etc.

Topic author United States of America
grizer
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 1998 Carver 350 Mariner

Best Wax & Procedure

Postby grizer » September 30th, 2018, 8:41 am

Hey all, I have a picky question. I clean, polish and wax my boat myself and hit it hard in the offseason. My boat generally looks GREAT in May but dull in August. I have been using Flagship Wax. For you “master waxers”, what wax do you find is the best? Also I have had people tell me that I need to put on 4 or 5 coats of wax but that seems extremely time consuming. Thoughts?

United States of America
g36
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 1997 Carver 405

Re: Best Wax & Procedure

Postby g36 » September 30th, 2018, 6:03 pm

I've always liked meguires products. If your exposed to the elements all the time you may need to add more coats. I had to cut then polish and then wax a few years ago. Fun fun . Gonna try and keep from doing this again. I am in a covered slip but I still try to get about 3 coats on her every year. You may need to step backwards and get a good start on her. Either cut or polish. Or both. The polish will bring out your shine the wax acts a protectant. I used 105 diamond cut,then polish#7, finish with #26 wax. Might be excessive but its been working ao ill stick wirh it. Lots of choices out there.
1997 Carver 405
Crusader xli
The Black Pearl
Soddy Daisy Tn.

United States of America
mjk1040
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 1998 355 AC/MY "Deja Vu"

Postby mjk1040 » October 1st, 2018, 7:39 am

I like the 3M Cleaner Wax and/or Restorer Wax for the harder spots. Bass Pro has the same type product in their brand name that seems to work just as good and is less expensive than #M. Also have used McGuire cleaner wax that works well to. One coat in the spring seems to last all season. I have learned though that in the fall if time allows to wipe down the hull with white vinegar and water or hard water spot remover prior to waxing again in the spring. Makes the job a lot easier. One has to be careful not to get to many coats of just wax on the gel coat as it will yellow over time and then its a real problem stripping all the old wax off.
Mike :down:
I'd Rather Be Boating!
1989 Sea Ray Seville
1986 Carver Mariner 32'
1990's Thompson 22' Cuddy Cabin
1990's 4Winns 245 Vista Cruiser
1980's Thompson 19' Open Bow

United States of America
390Express
Captain
Captain
Vessel Info: 1996 390 Trojan Express

Postby 390Express » October 1st, 2018, 11:50 pm

What does anyone use for a pad? I've always bought cheaper lambs wool pads (from Harbor Frieght), and more or less used them as disposable. My boat is around 40', and one cheaper pad tends to last me one full coat. Last season I saw a guy using a foam pad and his work product looked really good. I tried (again a cheaper) foam pad and it instantly burned a small spot in the gel, so I threw it out. Any alternatives to using lambswool, does anyone get multiple uses out of a quality lambs wool pad (if so please post the link), and what RPM do you run your high speed wheel at?

United States of America
SplashyLady
Captain
Captain
Vessel Info: Carver 3227 Sedan Convertible
1986 - 260 Mercruisers - Kohler 5E

Postby SplashyLady » October 2nd, 2018, 11:38 am

Check out Presta Products - they used to only sell to professionals, but now you can buy their products directly. They have a full line of compounds, cleaners, waxes, and buffs. You can also call them and get good advice for a particular need. Check out their products and prices at: http://www.prestaproducts.com/ They have a special marine line as well: http://www.prestaproducts.com/marine.aspx

Good luck!
Captain John
Past Commodore, Peninsula Yacht Club
Lake Norman, NC
Carver 3227 - "Splashy Lady"
Aquasport 222CCP - "Gone Fission"

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Postby bud37 » October 2nd, 2018, 3:07 pm

390Express wrote:Source of the post what RPM do you run your high speed wheel at?

Slowest setting on variable...
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

United States of America
denpooch
Commander
Commander
Vessel Info: 2005 360 Mariner
Crusader 6.0 Captains Choice

Postby denpooch » October 2nd, 2018, 3:12 pm

I vote for a 2 step system by Collinite. I use their Fiberglass Boat Cleaner #920 followed by Fleetwax #885.
I use an orbital sander with either terrycloth or lambs wool to buff it out. Not an easy endeavor but the finish lasts an entire season and still 'beads' after 6 months.
After each cruise I wash down the boat with water. I only use soap once or twice a season.

https://www.collinite.com/marine-wax/

Brazil
Hugo
First Mate
First Mate

Postby Hugo » October 4th, 2018, 3:58 pm

Presta products are good for the compound/polishing part. I use presta ultra cutting cream light with the white heavy wool pad but all this depends on what condition your gelcoat is in. I've found that gelcoat does not respond well to polishing pads.

You want your gelcoat to be like a mirror without scratches so that sunlight is reflected not absorbed. If you can't see the boat next to you like a mirror when on the hard there is not enough reflection and the finish will deteriorate fast again.

Forget waxes and sealants, throw those out as the sun heats up the wax and the acid rain gets into it. It also deteriorates very quickly and you'll be doing that every 8 weeks.

Glass coatings is what you need to be looking at. I use marine 31 captains coating with uv50. My boat looks just as good at the end of the season as it did at the beginning and I'm in a very harsh salt water/acid rain environment in NJ where I anchor for many days at a time. My boat gets loads of exposure...

Topic author United States of America
grizer
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 1998 Carver 350 Mariner

Postby grizer » October 23rd, 2018, 6:20 pm

@Hugo- I had not heard of Marine 31. I looked it up and it is a Carnauba Wax which contradicts your statement of “Don’t use wax”. Can you clarify exactly what you are using since you really seem to like your process?

Canada
pepmyster
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 2004 Carver 360 Sport Sedan
8.1 Volvo Penta
Fresh water boating

Postby pepmyster » October 23rd, 2018, 7:34 pm

I am a clean freak. I want our baby to shine like no other! Used so many types of waxes, This spring, I'm doing a ceramic coating on it. Gotta try this......

Return to “General Repairs & Maintenance”