Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Water in Bilges of 350 Mariner

Anything related to the operation of your boat. Steering, Bilge Pumps, thru-hulls, bottom paint, etc.

Topic author United States of America
grizer
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 1998 Carver 350 Mariner

Water in Bilges of 350 Mariner

Postby grizer » September 30th, 2018, 8:57 am

Hello,
Is it normal to have water in the bilges? Specifically I have around my 98 350 mariner for three years and they’re always seems to be a little bit of water in each of the bilge areas which I assume is normal. Is that the case? It doesn’t seem possible to keep the water out because someone out will always be residual left behind by the pumps. Also I always have a little bit of water laying in each of the smaller areas under each engine Where the shafts exit the boat maybe as much as an inch or 2 inches deep which does not seem to be extracted by the bilge as easily as the center area near the aft bilge. Any thoughts in these areas would be appreciated.

United States of America
buster53
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 2001, Carver 356

Re: Water in Bilges of 350 Mariner

Postby buster53 » September 30th, 2018, 11:48 am

I consider it normal, but there are some who go to lengths to keep a dry bilge. To me it's more trouble than it's worth.

United States of America
mjk1040
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 1998 355 AC/MY "Deja Vu"

Postby mjk1040 » October 1st, 2018, 7:44 am

Mine are dry, if not I got a leak somewhere and go hunting to find it. It's normal though to have shafts dripping a little, however I have to say mine do not and I have not touched them since purchasing the boat in 2015. Our 1986 Mariner though seem to get rain water in the forward bilge and I never did find out how that was getting in there before I sold it. All said and done I prefer a dry bilge.
Mike :down:
I'd Rather Be Boating!
1989 Sea Ray Seville
1986 Carver Mariner 32'
1990's Thompson 22' Cuddy Cabin
1990's 4Winns 245 Vista Cruiser
1980's Thompson 19' Open Bow

United States of America
km1125
Admiral
Admiral

Postby km1125 » October 1st, 2018, 4:02 pm

If you don't have dripless shafts then you'll get some water in that section of the bilge. Not a big deal. You can put in a smaller bilge pump at a convenient location to pump that little bit down to about 1/4" though.

The other areas should remain dry. If you're getting water in there you should figure out where it's coming from. It could be a leaky hose, or could be rainwater getting in somewhere. Could be the shower sump is overflowing sometimes, or a leaky hot water pressure/temperature safety valve.

United States of America
650Guy
First Mate
First Mate
Vessel Info: 2003 Carver 396 Motor Yatch
370 Cummins

Postby 650Guy » October 1st, 2018, 9:37 pm

This is a great thread! I have a 350 mariner. The port engine bay kept getting water. If that is where you are seeing water, try this:

Remove the engine bay covers. Along the sliding glass door under the ridge that the covers sit in, you will find a drip try. On either side of the drip tray is the drain hose. remove that and blow it out. This is a pretty common area to have water.

I think I'm going to do a new thread. I have a leak in my fresh water system and am not really sure how to access the line. Stby for more!

Return to “General Repairs & Maintenance”