Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Noob? What is the First Mate Switch For

Anything related to the operation of your boat. Steering, Bilge Pumps, thru-hulls, bottom paint, etc.

United States of America
km1125
Admiral
Admiral

Re: Noob? What is the First Mate Switch For

Postby km1125 » October 18th, 2018, 11:05 am

In order to pass inspecting, it must be wired or "fixed" in a position that does not allow the overboard discharge to be enabled. As others noted, unless you really think you might use the system, I would remove it. More hassle, risk and maintenance than it's worth, especially if you have no need for it.

Canada
Midnightsun
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: The Midnight Sun
2007 41CMY
Volvo D6-370's

Postby Midnightsun » October 18th, 2018, 12:17 pm

km1125 wrote:Source of the post In order to pass inspecting, it must be wired or "fixed" in a position that does not allow the overboard discharge to be enabled. As others noted, unless you really think you might use the system, I would remove it. More hassle, risk and maintenance than it's worth, especially if you have no need for it.

This comment is not directed at you so please take no offence.

I know they want a lock on the 3 way valve or disconnect something or whatever in many areas. Bottom line is anyone can open a lock, dump and then replace the lock as well as reconnect electrically or physically then dump and disassemble again. There really is no way of preventing dumping unless the boat is not equipped with a system at all. Way too easy to put back together the system temporarily so to say. I am located in Canada but even then location will influence what they coast guard will allow or not in your area. I know where I boat they never even mention or look at overboard discharge which would be in the St Lawrence close to the 1000 islands region. In fact the coast guard kept one of their boats at a previous marina I was at and they would walk down the docks every spring and ask if we wanted an inspection to which I always said yes. Point is I have been inspected many a times.

Lake Champlain, true story. This lake has special boating rules for macerators and zero tolerance when it comes to alcohol for the captain. This goes back 20+ years when I had my Bayliner 2355. I had planned a trip to lake Champlain and knew they were sticklers there for discharge. I was told that I needed to remove the pump or disconnect it as they could seize my boat if they found an operational system on board. I never used it but figured why would I remove it for a simply week long trip to lake Champlain to only accommodate them.

As luck would have it the sheriff pulls me over and asks about my discharge system. (probably had something to do with a new boat they had never seen and Quebec registration) I was asked to open the engine hatch so they could inspect. I did and jumped down in there, grabbed the discharge hose and pulled like heck. The fitting was luckily brittle and snapped off and I showed him the end of the hose. :beergood: All was good and they let me go on my way.
Cheers, Hans
2007 Carver 41 CMY
Twin Volvo D6-370's
Montreal, Canada
Midnight Sun I Photos

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Postby Viper » October 18th, 2018, 9:05 pm

In our neck of the woods, a system that is not completely disconnected as I've described (at minimum) is an invitation for problems, I see it all the time. Simply closing the seacock, removing the handle, and cutting the wires at the pump (what I see the most) is not only unsafe but will eventually come back to haunt you one winter.

United States of America
Bentone23
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 1996 Carver 355 Aft Cabin
454 xls EFI

Postby Bentone23 » November 9th, 2018, 11:33 pm

You should be able to put a lock or a zip tie on the y valve. Then it will pass Coast Guard inspection. I was in the CG Auxiliary for a number of years.
Bruce Bennett
Bentone23@sbcglobal.net
1996 355 Aft Cabin
Central California
Boating on the Delta and SF Bay

United States of America
Cooler
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 1995 Carver 330 Mariner
Twin 350XL Crusaders
Home port: Menominee, MI

Postby Cooler » November 13th, 2018, 2:26 pm

I had that system on previous boats. Each time I had a CG inspection, I pointed out that I disabled the discharge potential by installing straps or tie wraps so the Y valve would be confined to closed position only. Passed inspection every time. The CG knows there are thousands of boats with the OB discharge built in from the factory, so they only want to see it is disabled. Good luck.
Cooler By The Lake
( All weather people have to say this on air, near lakes )

Topic author United States of America
Sadey
First Mate
First Mate
Vessel Info: Former owner of a 2003 Carver 356 with 8.1 Mercs
Agradecida
Current owner 1989 60’ Hatteras MY with 8v92 Detroit’s
Benedetto

Postby Sadey » November 14th, 2018, 9:22 am

Thanks Cooler. I’ll be in the bilge tomorrow putting the cleaned sea strainers back so I’ll bring a few zip ties with me. Odd question...can one have an inspection done while in storage? I’m in heated this year. I’m also type A with major OCD so that’s why I ask.
Thank you for the help!

Dave & Trina

United States of America
Cooler
Admiral
Admiral
Twin 350XL Crusaders

Postby Cooler » November 14th, 2018, 11:01 am

Coast Guard jurisdiction ends off water. You could have an CG Aux do the inspection, if you have someone that will make a special trip, but they will most likely make the issuance of cert report & decal contingent on a quick water inspect. They do look for evidence of leaks during the in water inspection. Our marina sponsors CG inspection annually, and people bring boats on trailers. They are usually instructed to put in water for a period of time. There is a general seaworthiness element to the inspection. Good Luck!
Cooler By The Lake

Topic author United States of America
Sadey
First Mate
First Mate
Vessel Info: Former owner of a 2003 Carver 356 with 8.1 Mercs
Agradecida
Current owner 1989 60’ Hatteras MY with 8v92 Detroit’s
Benedetto

Postby Sadey » November 14th, 2018, 11:34 am

Kinda figured it might need to be in the water. Spend a lot of time in GB. MIL lives within walking distance to Lambeau which makes it easy to get to the games, by design. Which marina are you in Cooler?
Thank you for the help!

Dave & Trina

United States of America
Cooler
Admiral
Admiral
Twin 350XL Crusaders

Postby Cooler » December 25th, 2018, 1:52 pm

Sorry Sadey, never saw this last post. Better late than never. As you are aware, there are a number of marina's in GB. Unfortunately, there is not a lot to do in the area, and the water is not really "clean". I live in GB, but slip in Menominee, MI, 58 miles north, on the west side of the bay. There are several reasons for being there. 1. Directly across bay from Door County, which is where we do almost all of our boating. My slip fee is 1/3 of what Door County fees are. 2. The marina is first class, great facilities, dock hands always around, cheap gas ( 3.10G all last season ), festivals almost every weekend, but quiet when you want it to be. I can cruise to 20 different destinations in Door County, get there in 40 to 60 minutes, with no, "no wake" areas to deal with. Water north of GB is very clean. Can see bottom in at 15 to 20 feet. Perfect location for my style of boating. Last, and probably least, gin & tonics are $2 - brandy alexanders are $3 - etc. at a bar just 150 ft from my slip. 8-) er.
Cooler By The Lake

Return to “General Repairs & Maintenance”