Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Dripless Shaft Seal Maintenance?

Anything related to the operation of your boat. Steering, Bilge Pumps, thru-hulls, bottom paint, etc.

Topic author Canada
Midnightsun
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: The Midnight Sun
2007 41CMY
Volvo D6-370's

Dripless Shaft Seal Maintenance?

Postby Midnightsun » October 21st, 2018, 4:15 am

My question is, what maintenance/preventative maintenance if any needs to be done to these. As far as I know they have never been touched since new. No leaks whatsoever.
Cheers, Hans
2007 Carver 41 CMY
Twin Volvo D6-370's
Montreal, Canada
Midnight Sun I Photos

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Re: Dripless Shaft Seal Maintenance?

Postby Viper » October 21st, 2018, 11:22 am

Unless you have a leak, if it ain't broke, don't fix it ;-) You could remove and inspect but if you're going through that trouble, you may as well replace. Don't know which type you have but always a smart idea to keep a spare assembly or two on hand. If we're talking about a "Lip Seal" type and the current seal is more than 2 years old, it should be replaced only if it's leaking or the running gear is being dismantled/removed anyway.

If you have a slight leak the tube can be loosened, moved a fraction forward, then re-secured. Providing the seal is in good shape and free of cracks, this gives the seal a fresh shaft surface to seal against.

What type and brand do you have? If it's a Tides Marine lip seal assembly and it's not leaking, leave it alone. Hopefully you have a spare assembly already mounted on the shaft ahead of the log. This saves having to remove the shaft from the coupler should the current seal fail.

Topic author Canada
Midnightsun
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
2007 41CMY
Volvo D6-370's

Postby Midnightsun » October 21st, 2018, 2:40 pm

What do I have? Now this is an excellent question since I have no clue. By some internet searches I think it is a Tides Marine sure seal simply because they are blue and pretty sure they look the same. Mine has dual water circulation hoses on them if that makes a difference. Correct me if I am wrong. https://www.tidesmarine.com/shaftseals/ ... erview.php
Cheers, Hans
2007 Carver 41 CMY
Twin Volvo D6-370's
Montreal, Canada
Midnight Sun I Photos

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter

Postby Viper » October 21st, 2018, 6:03 pm

They're likely Tides units, that's why I mentioned them. Do you have spare seals already mounted on the shafts?

Do your water hoses go from the manifold on one engine, to that engine's shaft log, then jump to the other shaft log, then to the other engine's manifold?

Topic author Canada
Midnightsun
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
2007 41CMY
Volvo D6-370's

Postby Midnightsun » October 21st, 2018, 6:18 pm

Viper wrote:Source of the post They're likely Tides units, that's why I mentioned them. Do you have spare seals already mounted on the shafts?

Do your water hoses go from the manifold on one engine, to that engine's shaft log, then jump to the other shaft log, then to the other engine's manifold?

Like I said, I know nothing about them at this point so I will make sure I inspect and find the routing next time I go to the boat. Did not see any spare seals but then again I was not looking for them either. Will also look into that on the next trip out there.

Thanks for the input, much appreciated.
Cheers, Hans
2007 Carver 41 CMY
Twin Volvo D6-370's
Montreal, Canada
Midnight Sun I Photos

United States of America
Helmsman
Commander
Commander
Vessel Info: Temporarily Boatless

Postby Helmsman » October 28th, 2018, 5:26 am

Midnightsun wrote:Source of the post
Viper wrote:Source of the post They're likely Tides units, that's why I mentioned them. Do you have spare seals already mounted on the shafts?

Like I said, I know nothing about them at this point so I will make sure I inspect and find the routing next time I go to the boat. Did not see any spare seals but then again I was not looking for them either. Will also look into that on the next trip out there.

Thanks for the input, much appreciated.

I had to replace one of my Tides shaft seals last year so did both. While learning about them, I found a couple of things. If the shaft is “rough” it needs to be smoothed before re-installation. Adding a spare seal to the shaft is a no brainer. The boat should be pulled to do the work, though some brave souls have done it in the water.

Sometimes, “burping” the seal will remove trash that is creating the problem. If you search that on line, you will find the steps to take. Tides recommends those being replaced at six years, I think. Mine were at 11. But I agree with Viper. If it isn’t broke, don’t fix it.

Topic author Canada
Midnightsun
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
2007 41CMY
Volvo D6-370's

Postby Midnightsun » October 28th, 2018, 6:36 am

Hmmm, Boat comes out of the water in fall so technically this is the right time to do it or better off before spring launch when things warm up some. I will need to inspect to see if they did add spare seals and identify the unit properly. As I said, no leaks but I like to stay ahead of the game and at 11 years old and over 1200 hrs of turning props I fear it may become due at the worst of times such as when vacationing on the boat! I suspect failures are gradual and not catastrophic? Need to think about this and at least order a set and a spare set of seals during the off season.
Cheers, Hans
2007 Carver 41 CMY
Twin Volvo D6-370's
Montreal, Canada
Midnight Sun I Photos

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter

Postby Viper » October 28th, 2018, 9:58 am

It would really have to be a major incident for a catastrophic failure that allows in enough water to overcome your bilge pumps. A completely failed seal in of itself won't sink your boat unless none of your bilge pumps worked (the float switches should be checked periodically BTW). The volume of water would only be that which comes through the grooves in the bearing so it's nothing one pump couldn't keep up with. While underway, the lines supplying water from the engines can be pinched off to minimize the leak and if you limp back home, the seawater will be enough to lubricate the assembly.

If you're going to replace them over the winter and don't have spares already on the shaft, I recommend doing that when it's warmer and not freezing cold. Also, NEVER insert the shaft into the new seal assembly without the insert tool or you can kiss the new seal goodbye. Look in your bilge for a round red plastic gizmo. If nobody removed it, one should have been left there by Carver. If you don't have one, ensure Tides includes it in your order, they are free of charge. You'll see what it looks like here....

https://www.tidesmarine.com/pdf/pricelist/PriceList_V8.pdf

BTW, if you want them quick and want to avoid shipping, customs, etc., contact Kawartha Propeller, they are local retailers and have a selection of sizes in stock. I don't recall which way is the cheapest route (Kawartha or Tides direct)

Topic author Canada
Midnightsun
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
2007 41CMY
Volvo D6-370's

Postby Midnightsun » October 28th, 2018, 10:34 am

Viper,

I see how easy it is if the spare seal is actually there.

Found this really helpful video which makes things very clear.

And another one with a cut away view.
Cheers, Hans
2007 Carver 41 CMY
Twin Volvo D6-370's
Montreal, Canada
Midnight Sun I Photos

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Postby bud37 » October 28th, 2018, 2:59 pm

Would those spare seals be spinning around whilst on the shaft and what keeps them from becoming contaminated ? Maybe not an issue, but curious nevertheless.
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

Return to “General Repairs & Maintenance”