Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Don't know why I never thought of this

Anything related to the operation of your boat. Steering, Bilge Pumps, thru-hulls, bottom paint, etc.

Topic author United States of America
km1125
Admiral
Admiral

Re: Don't know why I never thought of this

Postby km1125 » October 22nd, 2018, 8:50 pm

Viper wrote:Source of the post Hoses should always be mechanically secured. Never even thought of bringing that up, just assumed it would be clamped. We've all learned lessons the hard way over the years. Thanks for sharing KM and glad you caught it in time, it could have been so much worse.

Yea, it was one of those "this just is temporary and just needs to last till tomorrow" mistakes. Totally on me for not clamping them correctly when I knew we were going to go for a ride.

Made me re-think the bilge pump situation though. The main bilge pump in the engine room is at the forward bulkhead. With the boat up on plane a bunch of water collects in the back half of the engine room before the water is high enough to trigger the switch at the forward bulkhead. I think I'm going to relocate the primary pump at the back of the engine room and put a second one up front. The primary would be the one wired to the switches at the helms so you could see when they switch on. ( or hear an alarm). The forward one would be more of a 'high water' pump or just a backup to the primary.

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Postby bud37 » October 22nd, 2018, 9:00 pm

Thinking about the valves loosening......for ever on the race engines we used the brass rad drain valves in the blocks for quick block emptying.....now I never had one come loose/leak etc....if one did we would have been DQ'd or into the wall.. :-O .. and if you want vibration that is one place to get it, solid mounted lots of HP. After saying this I don't think you would get a hose on them though.

Am curious now and will check Summit to see what they have..later..

Edit......this is what I was thinking...https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/b/do ... 9365?pos=0
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

United States of America
RGrew176
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 2022 Stingray 182 SC

Postby RGrew176 » October 22nd, 2018, 11:13 pm

Thanks for sharing your experience. We all can learn from the experiences of others.
Rick Grew

2022 Stingray 182 SC

2004 Past Commodore
West River Yacht & Cruising Club

Canada
vineyardgray
Captain
Captain

Postby vineyardgray » October 23rd, 2018, 8:10 pm

That is quite a story!

I am interested in the system - these hoses are attached where drain plugs used to be, correct? what engine, boat, raw water cooled or closed cooled system?
M/V Gilded Splinter
1988 Carver
3867 Santego
PCYC

Topic author United States of America
km1125
Admiral
Admiral

Postby km1125 » October 23rd, 2018, 9:12 pm

vineyardgray wrote:Source of the post That is quite a story!

I am interested in the system - these hoses are attached where drain plugs used to be, correct? what engine, boat, raw water cooled or closed cooled system?

Yes, the two drain plugs at the base of the block.

These are original Crusader 350HP 454CI engines. Raw water cooled, so I have to winterize the whole block and manifolds. I have toyed with modifying it to a closed system, but can't get over the $1-2K price. They are in a 1983 Carver 3607

Return to “General Repairs & Maintenance”