Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

What Is This Thing???

Anything related to the operation of your boat. Steering, Bilge Pumps, thru-hulls, bottom paint, etc.

United States of America
km1125
Admiral
Admiral

Re: What Is This Thing???

Postby km1125 » November 2nd, 2018, 5:11 pm

fleck05 wrote:Source of the post
"Before it starts leaking, remove it, remove the wood backer plate, and have a fiberglass tech patch the hole properly"

This was a curiosity... when the wood rots through can it leak?

"It looks like there is a tightening nut on a threaded shaft there which shoot-thru-the-hull types don't have."

So maybe it won't leak if the wood rots?

If it was installed properly, then it's sealed from the outside. If the wood rots so much that there's no support on the inside, then eventually the transducer will loosen from the hull and you will have a leak. Given where that's mounted, I don't think it would normally see water from the bilge unless the water was pretty high, so I'm wondering if it's been leaking all along and that's what rotted the wood.

I'd look for another reason to use the hole for a transducer or a thru-hull water source before I'd patch it.

United States of America
denpooch
Commander
Commander
Vessel Info: 2005 360 Mariner
Crusader 6.0 Captains Choice

Postby denpooch » November 2nd, 2018, 8:05 pm

I second, third and fourth the transducer thought. My attitude is that if it aint broke; don't fix it. Not leaking.. perhaps you can encapsulate the threads with 3M5200 and as they say in brooklyn: fuggedaboudit!

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Postby Viper » November 3rd, 2018, 9:48 am

I think KM nailed it. Upon closer inspection, it looks like one third of the top of the backer plate is actually broken in the first pic. Unless the pic is deceiving, you can see a gap from right to left in the picture. If you look close, at the right of that gap, there seems to be a track of where there was a steady stream of water leading away from that gap, so I too suspect it was leaking at one time. Since there doesn't seem to be any signs of caulking in the pic, I suspect the previous owner gooped the assembly under the hull to prevent it from leaking.

This isn't a matter of "if" it leaks, it's "when." It's only a matter of time and under the right conditions can sink your boat.

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Postby bud37 » November 3rd, 2018, 11:01 am

Does anyone know if this 83 model has any coring down there ??....
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Postby Viper » November 3rd, 2018, 7:01 pm

bud37 wrote:Source of the post Does anyone know if this 83 model has any coring down there ??....
I thought about that but my understanding was that model numbers ending in ..07 had no wood below the waterline. Maybe someone can confirm.

United States of America
km1125
Admiral
Admiral

Postby km1125 » November 3rd, 2018, 7:51 pm

I have an 03, and there is no coring in the bottom that I've run across and I've put several holes (intentionally) in the hull.

If you don't have a better thing to put in there, you could just reinstall the same transducer. You could cut the cable and just make a new backing plate and install it with some good sealant.

Return to “General Repairs & Maintenance”