Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Question about the aft cover for a 3807.

Anything related to the operation of your boat. Steering, Bilge Pumps, thru-hulls, bottom paint, etc.

Topic author United States of America
VicB
Deck Hand
Deck Hand
Vessel Info: 1988 Carver 3807

Question about the aft cover for a 3807.

Postby VicB » November 25th, 2018, 5:37 pm

Here’s a weird question. My radar doesn’t transmit for whatever reason and we are currently in an uncovered slip. If or when we get a covered one, I’m afraid the radar or anchor light makes the boat too tall. Either way I eventually need to take the radar off. The aft deck has a fiberglass cover. How do I get up there and can I put any weight on the cover?

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Re: Question about the aft cover for a 3807.

Postby Viper » November 26th, 2018, 6:49 am

If you unzip the canvas at the arch, you can access the radar from the cockpit while standing on the top of the companionway entrance that is behind the captain's seat. You can also stand on the back of the bench beside the captain's seat. I've removed and installed hardware on the arch this way without standing on the hardtop. I find it easier to get up and down for tools etc. and getting heavy gear like a radar unit up there.

United States of America
buster53
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 2001, Carver 356

Postby buster53 » November 26th, 2018, 7:20 am

Instead of getting rid of your radar, why not get it checked out first. May be something simple to fix. As far as the height of the unit and anchor light, several boats in our marina have their units on a hinged mount they can drop down when docking in their covered slips. Anchor lights can be bought on hinges as well. I used to have one on our 3807 we needed to lower to get into our slip.

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter

Postby Viper » November 26th, 2018, 7:52 am

Do you have a Furuno open array? If so, it'll be a little heavy as the base is cast metal.

United States of America
km1125
Admiral
Admiral

Postby km1125 » November 26th, 2018, 9:05 am

The other thing you could do is cut a 2x4 or 2x6 so it can be placed under the hardtop to take some of the weight if you need to get up there.

I don't know of a hardtop that wouldn't take someone's weight but you don't want a whole crew up there.

VicB
Deck Hand
Deck Hand

Postby VicB » November 26th, 2018, 12:24 pm

I bet it's original equipment. Its a Raytheon. The unit will come on and show the display, change settings and all, just will not show any targets. Several "must do's" first. While moving the boat across the state to bring it home a couple of weeks ago the salon heat did not work. Checked the reversing valve coil and it was open, so we relied on front and aft heat and portable heaters. Hope the valve itself is not stuck because i have found a coil, but not the whole valve yet. My concern mostly about the radar and light is that if we get a covered slip is that they might have to come down. It will be close.

Guys, i am as serious as i can be. I have always had boats. Fishing boats, ski boats and jet skis. I have always done most all the maintenance myself. I will admit i am a little intimidated with this beast. I have never owned or operated a larger boat like this. She is big, somewhat complicated and i have already found out, not wind friendly. I am trying to get familiar with all the systems and learn to operate her the right way. I have been to the otherside of the internet and back multiple times to learn what i can while not on board, but the best tool in my box so far has been all of you!!! It is a HUGE relief to be able to lean on the people who have already "been there and done that". I am combing this entire forum front to back and really have learned alot and also enjoyed reading stuff that might not even pertain to me yet. Thanks to all for sharing your experience.

Vic Boyd

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Postby bud37 » November 26th, 2018, 12:35 pm

Seems they are a bit much at times, I have found that it takes a good 2 years with each different boat to find everything and become just a bit comfortable and that is only if you are hands on and willing to dig.....nothing pays off more than crawling around with a bright light and looking behind things.....good luck man sounds like you have a handle on it.... :beergood:
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter

Postby Viper » November 27th, 2018, 6:46 am

Is the Ratheon a dome or open array? The open array will be heavy. The dome will be lighter but a lower profile. Sounds like you're not transmitting or receiving. If the height still works, look for a dome on eBay, they're still around, or upgrade to something newer, the domes will be a lower profile than the older ones. Depending on your type of boating, radar is a good tool to have.

United States of America
quickdecision
Deck Hand
Deck Hand
Vessel Info: Carver 3807, 1987

Postby quickdecision » November 27th, 2018, 8:17 am

Hello

I have the same model, installing new electronics over the winter, on the hard top all the time with no problems, 220 lbs here, hard top safe and no movements. New radar, TV/vhf antennas going in.

Ron

VicB
Deck Hand
Deck Hand

Postby VicB » November 30th, 2018, 10:11 am

Thanks guys. Looks like my “ship” has come in. Marina says they will have me a covered slip ready in the next few days. Glad to know no problem getting up there because looks like some height modifications may be on the near horizon. The boat is 15’4” to the top of the radar arch and the slip is 16’. Going to be close.

Return to “General Repairs & Maintenance”