Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

adjusting the hanging roller doors angle

Anything related to the operation of your boat. Steering, Bilge Pumps, thru-hulls, bottom paint, etc.

Topic author United States of America
Cliffm
First Mate
First Mate
Vessel Info: 2006 Carver 36 MY
"the Condo"
VP 8.1Gi-F

adjusting the hanging roller doors angle

Postby Cliffm » January 14th, 2019, 10:35 am

We have a 2006 Carver 36MY. Our aft cabin door and aft cabin head door are both "out of plumb" with the door frame.

I assume the top rollers are adjustable, and the side closest to the latch is to be adjusted for striker height, followed by the opposite side for door way frame match (aka plumb)

So my question is: how in the heck do you get to the top of door adjusting threaded shafts while its hanging inside the roller track? I'd really love a picture of someone adjusting these?

As always, your feedback is much appreciated.

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Re: adjusting the hanging roller doors angle

Postby bud37 » January 14th, 2019, 11:58 am

I cant say for sure not having seen your particular doors, but sometimes there is an adjustment on the side face of the door. Have a look at the top and bottom of the same side as the latch faces. Wow what a terrible instruction but I hope you get what I mean, may just be a screw near the corner.....good luck.
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Postby Viper » January 15th, 2019, 6:43 am

Some setups will provide access to adjustment screws while others require that you remove the door, adjust, then install the door again and check the fit. Depends on the hardware you have. I assume you're checking this with the boat in the water correct?....makes a difference. Let us know how you make out.

Cliffm
First Mate
First Mate
"the Condo"
VP 8.1Gi-F

Postby Cliffm » January 15th, 2019, 10:24 am

Viper wrote:Source of the post Some setups will provide access to adjustment screws while others require that you remove the door, adjust, then install the door again and check the fit. Depends on the hardware you have. I assume you're checking this with the boat in the water correct?....makes a difference. Let us know how you make out.

Thanks, yes it's in the water, i don't see any readily accessible way to reach hardware while door is hanging, so I'll assume I must remove, adjust, and re-hang.

So this brings the "how do you remove" question, as I don't see enough slop in the track to go up/out like a sliding glass door? is there another trick?

I can't imagine they changed the hardware much, ours's is a 2006, so any one adjust there's that has 2000 to 20009?

Cliffm
First Mate
First Mate
"the Condo"
VP 8.1Gi-F

Postby Cliffm » January 17th, 2019, 9:52 pm

Anyone able to describe how to get the hanging roller track for a out of the tracks to adjust?

United States of America
denpooch
Commander
Commander
Vessel Info: 2005 360 Mariner
Crusader 6.0 Captains Choice

Postby denpooch » January 17th, 2019, 11:17 pm

When in doubt call Carver. I have found them very helpful regarding specifics about my boat.

Cliffm
First Mate
First Mate
"the Condo"
VP 8.1Gi-F

Postby Cliffm » January 30th, 2019, 9:25 am

I havn't called Carver yet, but critically looked at door hangers. The threaded adjuster goes up to roller assy, the door top has slotted plate that captures the disc end/head of the bolt. So it would appear that you slide the door off this disk to remove it, adjust the bolt head for desire height, then re-hang the door.

I'll call carver before I attempt this, but having a better understanding of its function helps.

Cliffm
First Mate
First Mate
"the Condo"
VP 8.1Gi-F

Postby Cliffm » April 8th, 2019, 12:41 pm

update: In order to adjust the door to striker position/and or frame angle requires adjusting the roller height inside the the track. This is near impossible to get to as the adjuster nut is on top of the door inside the track.

solution: The track is (2) pieces, so close the door and then remove the accessible track piece so that when you open the door it will expose the roller adjustment nut. Close the door (almost) measure desired offset for striker alignment, then open the door to drop roller assembly to and adjust threaded portion to align. Re-close, verify striker alignment, then adjust second roller for door alignment to frame. Once all adjustments are made and verified, close door and re-install open door track portion.

As I was informed earlier, its best to do this with vessel in water and with typical fuel/water capacity's to compensate for vessel flex.

thanks to all for input & Tips!

Return to “General Repairs & Maintenance”