Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Shaft Packing Leak?

Anything related to the operation of your boat. Steering, Bilge Pumps, thru-hulls, bottom paint, etc.

Topic author United States of America
VicB
Deck Hand
Deck Hand
Vessel Info: 1988 Carver 3807

Shaft Packing Leak?

Postby VicB » January 15th, 2019, 8:20 am

I have an 88' 3807 with twin Crusaders. As I am new to having a boat like this, i have been crawling over her almost every weekend, trying to get familiar with all the systems, so I can be familiar with everything I can, come boating season. One thing I have noticed is that the packing from each gland where the shafts go through the hull drips a drop about every 5 seconds. Is this normal? That equates to pumping out about 5-7 gallons of water every week or so. This always leaves water in the keel as well. Has anyone every replaced packing while in the water? I am thinking i will see if i can tighten it some this weekend. I think the shaft is 1-1/8". Does anyone know packing size?
Thanks in advance,
Vic

United States of America
g36
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 1997 Carver 405

Re: Shaft Packing Leak?

Postby g36 » January 15th, 2019, 9:34 am

You'll need 2 wrenches to tighten it. some drip is ok depending on type of packing. And yes packing can be changed while boat is in water. Not sure of the size of yours
1997 Carver 405
Crusader xli
The Black Pearl
Soddy Daisy Tn.

United States of America
Cooler
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 1995 Carver 330 Mariner
Twin 350XL Crusaders
Home port: Menominee, MI

Postby Cooler » January 15th, 2019, 11:52 am

VicB - that shaft size looks a little thin for that model. At the end of this message is a link to 38AFT spec sheet. That discloses a 1 3/4" shaft. I don't know if shafts have been replaced with a smaller diameter but that would be unusual to say the least. If you have the owners manual and OEM list, you can find the specs in there. OR, you may want to call Carver with your hull # in hand. They should have the info for your particular boat. While that drip is not unusual, it is probably dripping more while the shafts are turning. I have a 330 Mariner, 1 1/4" shafts on V Drive. I do not drip at all, parked or running. That adjustment is a little tricky so be careful, instructions are in your owners manual.
https://carveryachts.blob.core.windows. ... bin_88.pdf
Cooler By The Lake
( All weather people have to say this on air, near lakes )

Topic author United States of America
VicB
Deck Hand
Deck Hand
Vessel Info: 1988 Carver 3807

Postby VicB » January 15th, 2019, 12:23 pm

Cooler,
You are probably right. I measured them a while back and since then, I have done so much in that engine compartment that I would bet you are correct and i have my numbers confused. Last night i ordered 1-1/4 hose and all week i've called everything 1-1/4. I've got to quit watching so many Youtube videos. It all starts running together.

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Postby bud37 » January 15th, 2019, 1:34 pm

If you do decide to snug them up a bit, a good tip is to loosen first to flush a bit then tighten accordingly. I believe the packing manufacturers have charts to show the proper packing sizes for the different shaft sizes and packing gland designs.
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

United States of America
waybomb
CYO Moderator
CYO Moderator
Vessel Info: 1995 Boston Whaler Rage15
1987 3697 Carver Mariner
1988 Cougar 46 Kevlar Vee offshore
1969 15' Glasspar / 1967 Johnson Electromatic 85
1996 Boston Whaler Rage 15

Postby waybomb » January 15th, 2019, 5:42 pm

Inspect the threads - one side is righty, other is lefty. You also may need a big honking wrench to loosen the jam nut.
Thanks
Fred
1969 Glaspar Avalon /1969 Johnson Electromatic 85
1987 Carver Mariner
1988 Cougar Kevlar 46' with triple blown 572 ci
1995 Boston Whaler Rage
Past - 1988 2807, 1989 4207 Aft

United States of America
km1125
Admiral
Admiral

Postby km1125 » January 17th, 2019, 6:39 pm

I'd have sworn I already commented in this thread, but don't see anything.

I have a 3607, so a similar but slightly smaller boat. I have 1 3/8 inch shafts.

I used these wrenches to adjust the packing. I got them from home depot and they aren't that expensive (and handy for a LOT of other things too). Get two and you can also use some short lengths of pipe if you need more leverage. Also, as waybomb notes, check the direction of the threads to make sure you're turning the right way or you'll never get things loosened up!!

rigid_adj_wrench.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

United States of America
Cooler
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 1995 Carver 330 Mariner
Twin 350XL Crusaders
Home port: Menominee, MI

Postby Cooler » January 17th, 2019, 8:46 pm

Nice tool! ( she said ) Gotta go to Home Depot!

Careful when adjusting, too tight can create heat. Heat creates burn. Burn creates $$$. It is normal for standard shafts to drip a little while running. Some don't, but most do. 8-) er
Cooler By The Lake
( All weather people have to say this on air, near lakes )

United States of America
Redemption
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 1982 Carver 3607

Postby Redemption » March 22nd, 2024, 6:49 pm

I wish I had that wrench yesterday. :lol:

Return to “General Repairs & Maintenance”