Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Mid Hibernation Visit

Anything related to the operation of your boat. Steering, Bilge Pumps, thru-hulls, bottom paint, etc.

Topic author United States of America
denpooch
Commander
Commander
Vessel Info: 2005 360 Mariner
Crusader 6.0 Captains Choice

Mid Hibernation Visit

Postby denpooch » January 15th, 2019, 9:04 pm

The good news is that in about 90 days from now (actually sounds better then saying 3 months from now..doesn't it? ) and she'll be back where she belongs!
Midway through the hiberbnation and time to 'top off' the batteries. I purchased 2 new batteries in the beginning of 2018 season which are both ASM technology.
I purchased one new deep cycle house battery the beginning of 2017 season and will likely change out the remaining two older units (pushing 5 years) in about 80 days! They were all between 70% and 84% of capacity after about 3 months on the hard.
The reason for 5 batteries: 1 house, 1 generator, 2 x engine starter with a second unit in series with the starboard starter battery for the bow thruster. Both of those are ASM's which are good for starter/bow duty due to their ability to punch out power and recover quickly.
The fever is beginning to strike!
Wrapped.jpg
Charger.1.jpg
Charger.2.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Canada
Midnightsun
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: The Midnight Sun
2007 41CMY
Volvo D6-370's

Re: Mid Hibernation Visit

Postby Midnightsun » January 16th, 2019, 4:51 am

So true with the 90 days sounding real close in comparison. :down:

I have a problem when it comes to topping off the batteries during the winter as the boat will not accept anything but 220v for shore power and therefor I cannot plug in to top off. My solution will be to install a separate 4 bank charger to handle all 4 banks with a recessed 110v inlet which is almost always available when on the hard. I do have a Noco 40a unit like this https://no.co/gen4 and did purchase the receptacle https://no.co/gcp1 Actually was supposed to install this before the winter but never found the time. This is just on of my once again overboard installations which will protect my rather expensive house bank as I plan on adding an additional 2x L16 trojans next year so I end up with a 870ah house bank. :-D
Cheers, Hans
2007 Carver 41 CMY
Twin Volvo D6-370's
Montreal, Canada
Midnight Sun I Photos

United States of America
waybomb
CYO Moderator
CYO Moderator
Vessel Info: 1995 Boston Whaler Rage15
1987 3697 Carver Mariner
1988 Cougar 46 Kevlar Vee offshore
1969 15' Glasspar / 1967 Johnson Electromatic 85
1996 Boston Whaler Rage 15

Postby waybomb » January 16th, 2019, 12:48 pm

Is that cinder blocks under the keel????? Yikes!
That's not safe. Use wood next year. Cinder blocks fail. They support the boat. The stands only steady it.
If your marina won't provide wood, make your own and keep them at your house when you are not in storage.
Thanks
Fred
1969 Glaspar Avalon /1969 Johnson Electromatic 85
1987 Carver Mariner
1988 Cougar Kevlar 46' with triple blown 572 ci
1995 Boston Whaler Rage
Past - 1988 2807, 1989 4207 Aft

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Postby bud37 » January 16th, 2019, 1:01 pm

waybomb wrote:Source of the post Is that cinder blocks under the keel????? Yikes!
That's not safe. Use wood next year. Cinder blocks fail. They support the boat. The stands only steady it.
If your marina won't provide wood, make your own and keep them at your house when you are not in storage.

+1

Very nice shrink job, all the way to the antifoul.....nice..... :down:
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

United States of America
Cooler
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 1995 Carver 330 Mariner
Twin 350XL Crusaders
Home port: Menominee, MI

Postby Cooler » January 16th, 2019, 8:11 pm

Really? You're thinking 89 days? I am jealous. We will still have ice chunks floatin' around. Oh well, good for you guys! I'm installing a bigger battery charger on Saturday, last owner had a little 10 Amp charger that worked intermittently. Also going to do the contortionist job of changing plugs. No idea how long the last set have been in there. Ran fine though. The engines might be shocked when they have the properly gaped plugs. (.045 instead of .035 ) Finally - the underwater lights, mounted to trim tabs. I will be hoping for splashing 24 days after you. But every day is one less to wait. 8-) er
Cooler By The Lake
( All weather people have to say this on air, near lakes )

United States of America
mjk1040
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 1998 355 AC/MY "Deja Vu"

Postby mjk1040 » January 17th, 2019, 1:27 am

Can't you just plug in your shore power line and use your onboard charger? Nice shrink job BTW, did they use any framing at all or just shrink it as it was?
Mike :down:
I'd Rather Be Boating!
1989 Sea Ray Seville
1986 Carver Mariner 32'
1990's Thompson 22' Cuddy Cabin
1990's 4Winns 245 Vista Cruiser
1980's Thompson 19' Open Bow

denpooch
Commander
Commander

Postby denpooch » January 17th, 2019, 10:53 am

Hey guys. Sorry for delayed response. The admiral and I are spending a few (coldish) days in Newport, RI. LOTS of boats!
MJK: tried plugging in to the boats main chargers using an adapter from their standard 3 prong outlet to the boats connection. Blows the gfi each time.
Bud: Yea I am happy with the shrink wrap job. A bit pricey ($950) but the work is good. I 'take care' of the guys doing the work and they do their best.
Waybomb: As far as cinder blocks. That's standard practice in our neck of the woods but your concern makes sense of you have had experience with that. I will measure it up and form some block of wood. Thanks for the heads up.

denpooch
Commander
Commander

Postby denpooch » January 17th, 2019, 10:58 am

MJ.... they DO use framing and take care to protect and items mounted on the arch with additional 'mini framing'.

United States of America
extraextra
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 1998 405, 2005 444

Postby extraextra » January 18th, 2019, 3:28 pm

Hi, question regarding the charging. I have a 2005 444, and tried to use the adapter/converter from 50A to 15A so that I can plug into the power are the boat yard to charge them up using the boats internal charger. No go, wouldn't work. When you connected the charger (assuming your batteries are in parallel) how did you connect it, plus & minus from the charger directly to the first battery and let the parallel do its thing?
Thanks
Tom

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Postby bud37 » January 18th, 2019, 4:51 pm

extraextra wrote:Source of the post Hi, question regarding the charging. I have a 2005 444, and tried to use the adapter/converter from 50A to 15A so that I can plug into the power are the boat yard to charge them up using the boats internal charger. No go, wouldn't work. When you connected the charger (assuming your batteries are in parallel) how did you connect it, plus & minus from the charger directly to the first battery and let the parallel do its thing?
Thanks
Tom

Question....what voltage is your 50 amps cord at....?
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

Return to “General Repairs & Maintenance”