Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Winter storage - Condensation, dehumidification

Anything related to the operation of your boat. Steering, Bilge Pumps, thru-hulls, bottom paint, etc.

Topic author Canada
vineyardgray
Captain
Captain

Winter storage - Condensation, dehumidification

Postby vineyardgray » January 16th, 2019, 9:10 pm

We have had a weird winter so far - freezing, mostly, but warmer than normal with a few really cold nights followed by really warm spring like days. This is a recipe for bad condensation.

I was in the 3867 Santego to pull the inop ice maker and see if I could fit a replacement and when I kneeled down, the salon carpet was soaking wet. The boat is wrapped, and I see no leaks, so this is definitely condensation.

Obviously, I yanked up the carpet and put as much stuff under it as I could find to promote airflow.

Then I put a few different no-damp jobs around the place. But I started thinking about these costly things and what a total hack they are. Why can't I dehumidify the living space properly using a dehumidifier??

This could be done when the weather is warm (after cold snaps) during the fall and spring days and could even be done on a humidistat so that no one actually needs to be there.

I have two issues with running a dehumidifier - one is that our marina does not allow overnight power during the winter months, and second is that dehumidifiers do not work in cold weather (unless they're special industrial low temperature jobs).

Any thoughts on this?
M/V Gilded Splinter
1988 Carver
3867 Santego
PCYC

United States of America
mjk1040
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 1998 355 AC/MY "Deja Vu"

Re: Winter storage - Condensation, dehumidification

Postby mjk1040 » January 17th, 2019, 1:19 am

I'll assume your boat is covered during the winter storage and with shrink wrap. If it is I would suggest purchasing a half dozen or so shrink wrap insert vents. I use the triangle style you push into the shrink wrap, and then tape them with shrink wrap tape for security. Then I go in the boat and open the forward hatch, aft cabin and salon windows to allow air flow through the boat. I also go to the dollar store and purchase those moisture traps. One in the forward berth, aft cabin and 2 in the salon. Last year there was hardly any moisture in the traps.
Mike :down:
I'd Rather Be Boating!
1989 Sea Ray Seville
1986 Carver Mariner 32'
1990's Thompson 22' Cuddy Cabin
1990's 4Winns 245 Vista Cruiser
1980's Thompson 19' Open Bow

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Postby bud37 » January 17th, 2019, 7:02 am

I agree with Mike.....ventilation is the key to this , the no damp is basically just Calcium Chloride which works as well. We just buy bulk and refill the same traps every year, you can make your own absorbers as well.
Have to say , never came across the carpet being soaked like that though, you sure something didn't leak before ?
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

United States of America
Cooler
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 1995 Carver 330 Mariner
Twin 350XL Crusaders
Home port: Menominee, MI

Postby Cooler » January 17th, 2019, 8:36 pm

Yep, agree with Bud & Mike. Those shrink wrap insert vents work well and they are cheap. Take care of that asap as that condensation can turn into mildew in no time. A neighbor of mine did not check his boat all winter some years ago. When he came back in spring, the entire cabin ceiling was covered in mildew. This was an express style so it hit him harder, but you do not want to deal with that! 8-) er
Cooler By The Lake
( All weather people have to say this on air, near lakes )

United States of America
denpooch
Commander
Commander
Vessel Info: 2005 360 Mariner
Crusader 6.0 Captains Choice

Postby denpooch » January 17th, 2019, 11:14 pm

If you take a look at the image of my 'shrink wrapped' boat on a recent post you will notice black vents. I used 8 this year. Two of them are directly 'in front' of the port lights which can be opened. One by the head and the other at the galley, which creates a cross ventilation within the cabin. The others allow airflow around the outside of the hull.

Topic author Canada
vineyardgray
Captain
Captain

Postby vineyardgray » January 18th, 2019, 1:56 pm

Thanks for the thoughts everyone. I do need to get the air moving through the boat. adding vents where the port Does everyone leave their sliding door open as well to promote airflow?

I also started thinking about adding vents to where the engine bay dorade boxes are to promote airflow. Right now the shrink-wrap is over the vents to the engine bay and that seems wrong.
M/V Gilded Splinter
1988 Carver
3867 Santego
PCYC

United States of America
denpooch
Commander
Commander
Vessel Info: 2005 360 Mariner
Crusader 6.0 Captains Choice

Postby denpooch » January 18th, 2019, 3:05 pm

Personally I don't like leaving cabin doors or hatches open. One for security reasons and the second, if there is a failure in the wrap one might wind up with a cabin full of snow, rain or some critters.

Return to “General Repairs & Maintenance”