Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Yellowed Panel on 390 CPMY

Anything related to the operation of your boat. Steering, Bilge Pumps, thru-hulls, bottom paint, etc.

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Re: Yellowed Panel on 390 CPMY

Postby bud37 » January 25th, 2019, 4:19 pm

Now this is interesting, good find....... :beergood:
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

United States of America
denpooch
Commander
Commander
Vessel Info: 2005 360 Mariner
Crusader 6.0 Captains Choice

Postby denpooch » January 26th, 2019, 5:49 pm

I agree with the team regarding color match, etc., and am thinking along KM's line. I found a product that works wonders on glass. Any rust, yellowing at the water line, etc., comes right off with ease. The product is called Davis FSR. Try a test spot before going other routes.

https://www.davisinstruments.com/product/fsr/

Topic author United States of America
tonyiiiafl
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1994 Carver 39 Cockpit Motor Yacht

Postby tonyiiiafl » January 27th, 2019, 7:32 am

SplashyLady wrote:Source of the post You should find the Interlux Brightsides Off-White Poly (4381) to be a very close color match. Don't use the Hatteras Off-White - it's a little too beige. This paint has nice gloss, flattens well, and you and apply it with roll and tip, foam brush, fine brush, or spray. The match is surprisingly good on my Carver.

How did you prep? I was thinking of sanding with 220 paper at first. Then did you use a primer? I would assume a sanding of the primer with maybe 400 grit? Then a coat or two of paint? Thanks again for the info!

United States of America
g36
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 1997 Carver 405

Postby g36 » January 28th, 2019, 3:00 pm

Please post your final decision and results
1997 Carver 405
Crusader xli
The Black Pearl
Soddy Daisy Tn.

Topic author United States of America
tonyiiiafl
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1994 Carver 39 Cockpit Motor Yacht

Postby tonyiiiafl » January 28th, 2019, 5:20 pm

I spoke to an acrylic person and he said the UB option won’t work as the acrylic is not stained but faded right through. He also Antoine’s I wouldn’t be happy with the wrap as it can tear. I will be going with the paint option. Results photos to follow!

United States of America
tomschauer
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1998 Carver 355
Suspicious Fishes !
2022 Kawasaki 310X

Postby tomschauer » January 29th, 2019, 1:11 am

if the acrylic yellowed that bad, it is a cheap replacement to the original. Hopefully, when you remove it, sand it and paint it, you will be pleased with the results. My concern would be next year, when you try to clean and wax it , some of the paint will come off and you will be back to square one.

I would get a new sheet and replace it. Project complete for the next ten or twenty years.

Return to “General Repairs & Maintenance”