Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Windlass shopping

Anything related to the operation of your boat. Steering, Bilge Pumps, thru-hulls, bottom paint, etc.

Canada
Midnightsun
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: The Midnight Sun
2007 41CMY
Volvo D6-370's

Re: Windlass shopping

Postby Midnightsun » February 23rd, 2019, 6:19 pm

On my previous boat I added a windlass since it did not come with one. I elected to go with a dedicated battery in the anchor locker since I had the space plus I was able to use small wire size because of the short run of only a few feet. Bottom line it was cheaper and less work than to buy and fish the line from bow to stern in that application. Just another option to think about. ;-)
Cheers, Hans
2007 Carver 41 CMY
Twin Volvo D6-370's
Montreal, Canada
Midnight Sun I Photos

United States of America
tomschauer
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1998 Carver 355
Suspicious Fishes !
2022 Kawasaki 310X

Postby tomschauer » February 23rd, 2019, 8:33 pm

Hans, did you run a wire from the battery charger to keep it topped off?

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Postby Viper » February 24th, 2019, 1:03 am

I wouldn't say it's less work installing the battery in the anchor locker. You have to run charging wires up there from the engine compartment, and while adding a charger near the anchor locker may solve that problem, you should still have a way to charge it off the alternators, so still a pain to run wiring, and you'd have to either tap into an outlet close by (not ideal) or run a new 120V circuit from the panel, chassis ground to a proper location, etc. One should also consider that unless the area is somewhat tightly isolated from the v-berth, you shouldn't use a flooded type battery due to off-gassing which is not ideal in a berth. You might save the cost of large wire but may make up for it in additional labour and hardware. Only a cost analysis would determine one way or the other whether it's worth doing it that way or not.

Canada
Midnightsun
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: The Midnight Sun
2007 41CMY
Volvo D6-370's

Postby Midnightsun » February 24th, 2019, 4:41 am

Actually added a small charger up front and did end up eventually running a charge wire from the alternator (6 years later) although depending on your application you may not need this. If you are only anchoring out a night here and there and plugging into shore power regularly you can easily get away with no alternator hook up. In this application I had both windlass and Sideshift thruster working off of this lone dedicated battery. Liked the fact that it was it's own source and did not draw off of the house or engine bank, the cost of the huge wires was much more then a battery, charger and smaller wires, plus those huge wires would have been impossible to run from bow to stern on that boat.
Cheers, Hans
2007 Carver 41 CMY
Twin Volvo D6-370's
Montreal, Canada
Midnight Sun I Photos

Topic author United States of America
ataylor233
Deck Hand
Deck Hand

Postby ataylor233 » March 12th, 2019, 1:44 pm

So much good info i'm anticipating running the wire from the anchor locker to the salon panel to the circuit breaker then to the battery switch . The manual only ask for 8 gauge for that length so i was going to go with #4 wire which is the same as the oem wires that connect to the batteries. i figured its still bigger than stock .... I thought about putting a battery up front but id have to run cables to the alternator because i don't have that kinda luck i wouldn't trust a 120 Charger .

Return to “General Repairs & Maintenance”