Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Fabric Paint interior

Anything related to the operation of your boat. Steering, Bilge Pumps, thru-hulls, bottom paint, etc.

Topic author United States of America
tonyiiiafl
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1994 Carver 39 Cockpit Motor Yacht

Fabric Paint interior

Postby tonyiiiafl » February 25th, 2019, 5:49 am

8 MORE weeks! I have the 390 CPMY. On the forward berth and the aft cabin there is fabric on the walls. It is a constant issue with mold on the aft cabin, and the forward cabin has stains from the previous owner operating with the portholes open (can't even fathom that one!) Anyway, has anyone ever painted that fabric? I was thinking of a couple coats of KILZ, and then a coat of semi gloss latex paint? Unsure what to do, but we hate the scrubbing needed.

Thanks again! The exhaust hose replacement is completed, I will share the costs as soon as I get the bill and recover from the heart failure!

United States of America
tomschauer
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1998 Carver 355
Suspicious Fishes !
2022 Kawasaki 310X

Re: Fabric Paint interior

Postby tomschauer » February 25th, 2019, 7:54 am

Tony, the mold most likely "lives" in the foam insulation behind the fabric. Unless you kill it all, it will keep coming back.
The rear windows in my 355 and your 390 are infamous for leaking and getting the fabric and foam wet, causing the mold. The previous owner of mine let these leak for years. I removed them, replaces the wood backing strips, rebedded and installed the windows. I had to remove all of the fabric, foam and even replace the counter tops in the rear head, as the plywood between the Formica had become a mold experiment.

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Postby bud37 » February 25th, 2019, 5:48 pm

Have you considered some extra ventilation, maybe solar powered vents or something along that line.....almost sounds like you may need some air movement to control the humidity a little better.

I agree about the only way is to pull the contaminated material out then clean real well then fresh materials...
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

Topic author United States of America
tonyiiiafl
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1994 Carver 39 Cockpit Motor Yacht

Postby tonyiiiafl » February 25th, 2019, 6:34 pm

We don't have an issue when slipped, as we have plenty of ventilation. It raises it's ugly head when in winter lay up. We have to scrub, scrub, scrub every spring!

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Postby bud37 » February 25th, 2019, 7:34 pm

The ventilation and humidity control would apply to lay up time maybe even more so than while the boat is being used frequently. We all have the same issues while the boat is wrapped in tarps , plastic etc.....
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

United States of America
tomschauer
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1998 Carver 355
Suspicious Fishes !
2022 Kawasaki 310X

Postby tomschauer » February 26th, 2019, 12:01 am

Tony, if you have to scrub every spring, you have extreme mold growth colonies in your boat. It is there in the boating season but you keep it somewhat bay with ventilation and air conditioning. It can be a health risk.

If you get to and elimate the source, you wont have to scrub every spring.

Return to “General Repairs & Maintenance”