Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Was: Deck Core Thickness? NOW: Deck Replacement

Anything related to the operation of your boat. Steering, Bilge Pumps, thru-hulls, bottom paint, etc.

United States of America
km1125
Admiral
Admiral

Re: Was: Deck Core Thickness? NOW: Deck Replacement

Postby km1125 » March 18th, 2019, 1:25 pm

What did you use to cut through the fiberglass? Looks like it would have been tight around those corners.

Topic author United States of America
BenTen
First Mate
First Mate
Vessel Info: 1984 Carver 3697 Mariner - "We'll Sea"

Postby BenTen » March 18th, 2019, 1:59 pm

km1125 wrote:Source of the post I used a Fein oscillating cutter with a round toothed cutter to make those cuts. Makes a very thin cut and easily go around those corners.

I used a Fein oscillating tool with a round toothed cutter to make those cuts. Makes a very thin cut and easily go around those corners. With the scraper attachment it's also easy to remove any balsa that's still epoxied to the bottom composite layer without risking a hole or gouge.

More pics of the deck core to come next week- but I was able to make progress on my new steps yesterday:
Thanks,
Ben in SC

United States of America
Cooler
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 1995 Carver 330 Mariner
Twin 350XL Crusaders
Home port: Menominee, MI

Postby Cooler » March 18th, 2019, 6:31 pm

Wow Ben, those steps look great! Were they pretty gray before? I have to do this same project, but hoping to do them on board in the frame, taping off the aluminum. What do ya think? Are you using Sikkens Cetol stain? Which shade is that? Sikkens recommends 5 to 7 coats. Thanks! 8-) er
Cooler By The Lake
( All weather people have to say this on air, near lakes )

BenTen
First Mate
First Mate

Postby BenTen » March 18th, 2019, 7:21 pm

Cooler, that is actually all new wood as my original steps, what parts of it that were original, were too far gone to refinish. I went with White Oak as teak in the correct dimensions was near impossible to source. If it doesn't hold up I'll make new ones again.... We'll see.

I'm using General Finishes DTHP Oil Based Penetrating Wood Stain (Danish Teak) and General Finishes Outdoor Oil (Clear), one coat of stain and 5 coats of clear.
Thanks,
Ben in SC

United States of America
Cooler
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 1995 Carver 330 Mariner
Twin 350XL Crusaders
Home port: Menominee, MI

Postby Cooler » March 19th, 2019, 10:07 am

Got it. I did see the oak grain after I wrote the request. My teak is still in good shape structurally, but is totally weathered out. The Admiral has been whining about it, so I should just get it done. I'm going to use Sikkens. I saw some samples of refurbished teak and they did get the color back. Want to do something that is more than 1 season fix. Thanks for the reply! 8-) er
Cooler By The Lake
( All weather people have to say this on air, near lakes )

United States of America
waybomb
CYO Moderator
CYO Moderator
Vessel Info: 1995 Boston Whaler Rage15
1987 3697 Carver Mariner
1988 Cougar 46 Kevlar Vee offshore
1969 15' Glasspar / 1967 Johnson Electromatic 85
1996 Boston Whaler Rage 15

Postby waybomb » March 19th, 2019, 6:58 pm

When we were restoring our 3697, after it had sat on the hard for ten years, our bridge steps needed refurbishing.
Took them all apart, bought some TeKa cleaner, got rid of the grey, then sanded and sanded and sanded, got them nice and smooth, then took my time with Sikkens, and sanding between coats.

Been 5 years now, and still look as good as the day I reinstalled them
Thanks
Fred
1969 Glaspar Avalon /1969 Johnson Electromatic 85
1987 Carver Mariner
1988 Cougar Kevlar 46' with triple blown 572 ci
1995 Boston Whaler Rage
Past - 1988 2807, 1989 4207 Aft

BenTen
First Mate
First Mate

Postby BenTen » March 20th, 2019, 9:41 am

I'm confident/hopeful that my choice of wood and finish will last me much more than a year. Especially since my boat is in a covered slip and should only get wet a few dozen days per year. My biggest worry is that I'm happy with the look of the wood as compared to the original teak so if anyone has a source for the proper sized teak please let me know.

My boat, when I received it, only had steps on the starboard side so one of the most important projects to the Admiral was to rectify that situation to ease access to the upper deck and cockpit!
Thanks,
Ben in SC

BenTen
First Mate
First Mate

Postby BenTen » March 29th, 2019, 7:14 am

Below is my progress this week on my core replacement. This took place over several very long days, I'll share some things that I learned through the process for those who may want to attempt this in the future.

New Core being fitted:

Top skins prepped and reinstalled:

Side Deck out:

And finally side deck back in:

I will now begin the process of sanding the edges, fiber glassing over the seams left from the cuts, and then fairing, top coating and new non-skid all over. At this point I feel that the work is about half done but it feels good to have solid deck under foot again!
Thanks,
Ben in SC

United States of America
tgmkwill
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 1997 355 Carver Aft

Postby tgmkwill » March 29th, 2019, 10:04 am

Are the holes in the skin for counter sinking screws and you apply fairing over them?? Following this project carefuly

United States of America
km1125
Admiral
Admiral

Postby km1125 » March 29th, 2019, 10:10 am

Never though about re-using the top skins. I've only seen folks use new glass over the repair. That's an interesting approach but don't know why it wouldn't be a good idea!!

Looks like on the bow sections you feathered the edges before reinstalling the skins, but didn't on the side deck. Any particular reason? Also, how would you feather the remaining deck to match?

Return to “General Repairs & Maintenance”