Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Was: Deck Core Thickness? NOW: Deck Replacement

Anything related to the operation of your boat. Steering, Bilge Pumps, thru-hulls, bottom paint, etc.

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Re: Deck Core Thickness?

Postby bud37 » March 10th, 2019, 9:57 am

Once you start demo I think you will find out, water generally travels downhill even in the core, can be verified with a moisture meter and come close to the water entry point, kind of like an avalanche thin then spreads out. Real hard to make a real conclusive guess though after all these years there could have been a bad leak that was fixed long before you. Sure looks soaked.....
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Postby Viper » March 10th, 2019, 10:00 am

BenTen wrote:Source of the post..... Is it possible for water to travel that far in the core, especially since the individual balsa blocks are supposed to be sealed from each other to isolate water leaks?.....

Definitely possible for water to wick throughout the core over time. The chances of each and every block being completely encapsulated varies. You will find that difficult to do and confirm before the resin starts setting up on you if you're doing a large area. Vacuum bagging during the manufacturing process helps the resin reach all areas but it really depends on a few factors. Make sure you get "endgrain" balsa core, and wet it out properly to ensure penetration.

Don't cover the mounting holes or the chain hole with balsa then drill and cut it out later. If you leave a 1/4" clearance around these areas then fill them in with a thickened mix, you will never have exposed balsa. For the chain hole, putty up to the original cutout. For mounting holes, fill them in completely with the putty then drill through the putty for mounting the hardware when the job is completed. This way, you're drilling into a solid plug of glass or epoxy rather than your core and exposing it all over again. This also serves to prevent you from crushing the core if you over torque the fasteners as the substrate in that area will be a solid mass that won't compress. And if the seal around the fasteners fails, water can't get to the core as there will be a 1/4" of glass or epoxy in the way. ALL hardware fastened to any areas of the vessel that have coring material should be done this way. I also rarely use caulking for bedding or sealing fasteners anymore, I opt for butyl tape. I've posted procedures in a couple of threads for proper fastening techniques and the use of butyl tape.

Topic author United States of America
BenTen
First Mate
First Mate
Vessel Info: 1984 Carver 3697 Mariner - "We'll Sea"

Postby BenTen » March 11th, 2019, 2:26 pm

Thanks, Viper. Good info.

For anyone searching in the future I can tell you these things so far on the 3697's:

1. To access the deck rail and cleat hardware you must remove the interior "valances" (not sure if that's the correct term) that are installed in front of all side windows, along with any blinds or curtains. To do this you should be able to locate a phillips head screw approx every 18 inches or so. Once these screws are removed, and the valance is hanging, there will be wiring to the lighting fixtures above the settee and dinette.

2. The deck hardware used is a washer and nut only with no backing plates so you need two people to remove these (stanchions, cleats, etc.)

More to come as I continue to dig in!
Thanks,
Ben in SC

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Postby bud37 » March 11th, 2019, 3:05 pm

Ben, what year is your boat . Thanks good info...... :down:
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

BenTen
First Mate
First Mate

Postby BenTen » March 11th, 2019, 3:07 pm

1984 Carver 36 (3697)
Thanks,
Ben in SC

BenTen
First Mate
First Mate

Postby BenTen » March 16th, 2019, 6:11 pm

This is the main culprit causing my wet deck. Previous owner thought it would be a good idea to install a cleat here, where there was no internal blocking, and when tightened over time crushed the deck. On top of that the Hawse Hole was not sealed BUT there was ply in this area.... A comedy of errors.

Thanks,
Ben in SC

BenTen
First Mate
First Mate

Postby BenTen » March 16th, 2019, 6:15 pm

Once opened up it was obvious why the deck was so bouncy, not that I had any doubt:

And a few hours later- the deck in this area is removed and the sopping wet core disposed of.

I put down double sided tape around the perimeter and covered this area with plastic until I could continue working.
Thanks,
Ben in SC

United States of America
tomschauer
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1998 Carver 355
Suspicious Fishes !
2022 Kawasaki 310X

Re: Was: Deck Core Thickness? NOW: Deck Replacement

Postby tomschauer » March 16th, 2019, 7:32 pm

That's a major project. Great pics of your progress!

United States of America
Cooler
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 1995 Carver 330 Mariner
Twin 350XL Crusaders
Home port: Menominee, MI

Postby Cooler » March 17th, 2019, 11:10 am

Yes sir. Great job! Keep posting pics with your progress. What are you going to use for replacing the balsa? 8-) er
Cooler By The Lake
( All weather people have to say this on air, near lakes )

BenTen
First Mate
First Mate

Postby BenTen » March 17th, 2019, 7:48 pm

Cooler wrote:Source of the post Yes sir. Great job! Keep posting pics with your progress. What are you going to use for replacing the balsa? 8-) er

Going back with the same 1" balsa that I was able to source from Defender.
Thanks,
Ben in SC

Return to “General Repairs & Maintenance”