Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Was: Deck Core Thickness? NOW: Deck Replacement

Anything related to the operation of your boat. Steering, Bilge Pumps, thru-hulls, bottom paint, etc.

Topic author United States of America
BenTen
First Mate
First Mate
Vessel Info: 1984 Carver 3697 Mariner - "We'll Sea"

Re: Was: Deck Core Thickness? NOW: Deck Replacement

Postby BenTen » March 29th, 2019, 10:12 am

tgmkwill wrote:Source of the post Are the holes in the skin for counter sinking screws and you apply fairing over them?? Following this project carefuly

I found a screw at Lowes called a "lathe screw" that had a wide head and also was self tapping. I used these across the top skins, once glued back down, to compress all three layers together as the epoxy cured. Once dry I remove these and fill all holes with thickened epoxy. So far this was worked very well.

Glad to hear this thread might be helping someone else in the future!
Last edited by BenTen on March 29th, 2019, 10:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Thanks,
Ben in SC

BenTen
First Mate
First Mate

Postby BenTen » March 29th, 2019, 10:16 am

km1125 wrote:Source of the post Never though about re-using the top skins. I've only seen folks use new glass over the repair. That's an interesting approach but don't know why it wouldn't be a good idea!!

Looks like on the bow sections you feathered the edges before reinstalling the skins, but didn't on the side deck. Any particular reason? Also, how would you feather the remaining deck to match?

Sailboat guys use this repair approach all the time, which is where I got the idea. I did lots of research before jumping in on this repair as I'm sure you can imagine- the first cut was definitely the hardest!

The reason for not feathering on the side deck before reinstalling was that when I reinstalled the bow sections the edges were a little too thin for everything to compress properly leading me to place the screws into the thicker material. I wanted to hide these holes with the glass tape and later fairing as much as possible so I decided to grind the side deck edged after install.

Hope that makes sense...
Thanks,
Ben in SC

United States of America
km1125
Admiral
Admiral

Postby km1125 » March 29th, 2019, 12:13 pm

BenTen wrote:Source of the post
tgmkwill wrote:Source of the post Are the holes in the skin for counter sinking screws and you apply fairing over them?? Following this project carefuly

I found a screw at Lowes called a "lathe screw" that had a wide head and also was self tapping. I used these across the top skins, once glued back down, to compress all three layers together as the epoxy cured. Once dry I remove these and fill all holes with thickened epoxy. So far this was worked very well.

Glad to hear this thread might be helping someone else in the future!

Elaborate a bit more on this. Do those screws go though the top skin, the coring and the bottom skin?

BenTen
First Mate
First Mate

Postby BenTen » March 29th, 2019, 1:21 pm

Yes, the screw goes through all three layers. On the side decks I pre-drilled through the top layer and core and then let the screw bite into the bottom layer adding the compression.
Thanks,
Ben in SC

BenTen
First Mate
First Mate

Postby BenTen » April 1st, 2019, 9:30 pm

A little progress to share.

Seams ground out and two layers of FG tape added:

Initial fairing using West Systems 410 to level with surrounding original deck surfaces:

All sanded and second fairing added coat to fill in remaining unevenness using Total Boat Total Fair:

Next on the list is a complete scrub of all non skid in preparation for taping and painting of new KiwiGrip on all surfaces. I hope to get started on this by this weekend depending on the weather. As of right now all deck surfaces are in the dry so I won't have to worry about the potential of water penetration etc.- this was my main motivation for working diligently on this project from initial cut.

Thanks for following along!
Thanks,
Ben in SC

United States of America
tomschauer
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1998 Carver 355
Suspicious Fishes !
2022 Kawasaki 310X

Postby tomschauer » April 1st, 2019, 11:03 pm

Thank you for providing updates and pics of your project!

United States of America
RGrew176
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 2022 Stingray 182 SC

Postby RGrew176 » April 2nd, 2019, 2:41 am

Wow, that looks like a lot of work. Sure it will be worth it once you are done.
Rick Grew

2022 Stingray 182 SC

2004 Past Commodore
West River Yacht & Cruising Club

BenTen
First Mate
First Mate

Postby BenTen » April 8th, 2019, 9:05 am

Small update:

Reinstalled and rebedded side rail and stanchions using butyl tape. Added a few coats of epoxy primer to seal all of the fiberglass work and fairing. I also removed the carpet that was installed by the PO and the screws that they used to hold it down. This led to the discovery of another small soft spot so I went ahead and made that repair as well.

Net up, once I have a few days of adequate humidity will be to apply the new non skid. For this I chose KiwiGrip- I'm trying to decide now if I'll put it on as straight WHITE or if I'll get it tinted to match the current hue of my gelcoat. Opinions welcome!

Primer Coat:

Thanks,
Ben in SC

United States of America
km1125
Admiral
Admiral

Postby km1125 » April 8th, 2019, 5:14 pm

Amazing you were able to do that work while in the water. Did you lose any tools or parts overboard?

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Postby Viper » April 8th, 2019, 7:25 pm

Besides ease of application, any particular reason why you're going with KiwiGrip instead of gelcoat?

Return to “General Repairs & Maintenance”