Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Barrier Coatings are they it worth it?

Anything related to the operation of your boat. Steering, Bilge Pumps, thru-hulls, bottom paint, etc.

Topic author United States of America
ColRon
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver Santego 3867
“Escape Plan”

Re: Barrier Coatings are they it worth it?

Postby ColRon » March 12th, 2019, 9:52 pm

Viper, thanks again. In all likelihood I will get it done all at once, it was just a shock today. I had expected to budget around $5k. But with the old blister repairs popping out, they have to be repaired regardless, even if I didn’t have the newer ones repaired. The largest is about palm size most are much smaller. What would qualify as severe?

Guess I just need to get over the shock :-O and bite the bullet.

Now, how do I explain to the Adminal that that two week long,800 mile cruise she had planned for this year may not be in the budget? :blush:
Ron
1989 Carver Santego 3867
“Escape Plan”
Murray, KY

:usa:

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Postby Viper » March 12th, 2019, 10:17 pm

Palm sized is large but the biggest concern is the depth. They don't get smaller though, and in my neck of the woods if they're large and full of water, you run the risk of it freezing over the winter and shattering a large chunk of glass off your hull.

ColRon wrote:Source of the post ....Now, how do I explain to the Adminal that that two week long,800 mile cruise she had planned for this year may not be in the budget?....

The wallet dictates for sure but I can say that I've had some pretty amazing/priceless memories from destinations a lot closer than 800 miles ;-) Having said that, heed this warning; you better keep her happy if you love boating ;-) :-D

United States of America
Cooler
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 1995 Carver 330 Mariner
Twin 350XL Crusaders
Home port: Menominee, MI

Postby Cooler » March 13th, 2019, 11:48 am

While the blisters are more cosmetic than structural if not deep, you still want to be cruising a "healthy" boat. The unexpected expense is more of an investment. Delaying an 800 mile trip for one year gives her more time to investigate opportunities/destinations, and also gives the admiral that healthy boat peace of mind. 600 gallons of fuel in our neck of the woods is $2100, so reduce that 800 mile trip to 200 for this season. I am not familiar with your boating area, but I would think 100 miles each way would be full of fun & frolic. OR, really shake things up and do a totally different event. Do a 1 week local cruise, then drive up here, hang out at my marina, cruise with me in Door County, and expand your horizons. We have all kinds of boating ops around my marina, festivals up the ying yang, AND if you like football, the Mecca of the NFL just 5 miles away. Lambeau Field, home of next years Super Bowl Champions, The Green Bay Packers. Pitch it to her,...she will think it's weird, but weird is good....sometimes. :-O 8-) er
Cooler By The Lake
( All weather people have to say this on air, near lakes )

ColRon
Admiral
Admiral
“Escape Plan”

Postby ColRon » March 13th, 2019, 12:32 pm

8-) er, thanks for the advise. We cruise the the Tennessee, Ohio and Cumberland Rivers. Haven’t ventured into the Mississippi yet, but plan too someday to cruise north to the Lakes up there. The admiral had her heart set on going to Chattanooga and seeing the Grand Canyon of the South this year. About an 800 mile round trip for us here on Kentucky Lake. She’s resigned herself that we will have to post pone the trip. She actually said, “Well that takes Chattanooga out of the picture this year!” When I told her about the cost estimate last night. She will tell you it is “her” boat and that I’m just the guy that works everything. :lol: Our plans are when we retire to “live aboard” and doing the loop :captain: is on our bucket list...but that’s still a few years and a bigger boat down the road.
Ron
1989 Carver Santego 3867
“Escape Plan”
Murray, KY

United States of America
Cooler
Admiral
Admiral
Twin 350XL Crusaders

Postby Cooler » March 13th, 2019, 6:08 pm

Cool, she is right in any of her thinking. Invitation stands. Some friends from Minn did the loop 2 years ago in a 34 Mainship. Took a year to do it right, stayed in Bahamas for a little bit. I was kind of surprised they were comfortable for that time on a 34. I could not imagine doing it in my boat. I am not that mechanically inclined anyway. Totally different world on an ocean. We actually have a number of loopers stop in to our marina, as well as a number of seasonal tenants who have done the loop. Hope your hull turns out great! 8-) er
Cooler By The Lake

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Postby bud37 » March 13th, 2019, 6:31 pm

Ron just to add to all the info so far, you sound like you got a handle on this but for others.......if you decide to go forward, while the boat is out make extra sure your bilges are bone dry to assist the hull drying, also inside those blisters can be a brown liquid which is acidic, so be careful poking any that aren't broke open yet.....good luck man, I think you are making the right decision, like I said before, if you are keeping the boat....even for resale it makes the boat more desirable IMO........
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

ColRon
Admiral
Admiral
“Escape Plan”

Postby ColRon » March 13th, 2019, 8:06 pm

bud37 wrote:Source of the post ...also inside those blisters can be a brown liquid which is acidic, so be careful poking any that aren't broke open yet....

Bud,good point...and they can be under a lot of pressure too, so you definitely don’t want to get it in your eyes
Cooler wrote:Source of the post Cool, she is right in any of her thinking.

First two words I learned after getting married were Yes and dear...in that precise order... :worthy: I tease her a lot but she expects it from me. I’ll keep the invitation in mind, it been quite a few years since I’ve been to Green Bay and you do take your football serious there! Hmmm might have to pull my charts...how many river miles to Chicago...then a hop skip and jump to Green Bay... ;-)

Thanks to all for the advise it was much appreciated! I’ll keep everyone posted on the progress.
Ron
1989 Carver Santego 3867
“Escape Plan”
Murray, KY

United States of America
Cooler
Admiral
Admiral
Twin 350XL Crusaders

Postby Cooler » March 14th, 2019, 11:47 am

Just drive up. 8-9 hour by car. You can stay on CBTL so no hotel expense. You would be able to experience more open water environment. I mentioned Door County cruising, that is just 20 miles across the bay from my marina. CBTL is actually located about 58 miles north of Green Bay, where I live. Lot of fun up here, when the weather is right.

The shop doing your project is probably using Epiglass in the repair of those blisters. They sound like an Interlux shop. 8-) er
Cooler By The Lake

United States of America
g36
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 1997 Carver 405

Postby g36 » March 14th, 2019, 2:13 pm

Whenever you do your trip to chattanooga drop us a line will have to say hi. I live above chatt about 13 river miles above the dam .It's a very nice trip up from ky lake through the gorge. We probably take some of the beauty of this area for granted since we live here.
1997 Carver 405
Crusader xli
The Black Pearl
Soddy Daisy Tn.

ColRon
Admiral
Admiral
“Escape Plan”

Postby ColRon » March 14th, 2019, 5:41 pm

g36 wrote:Source of the post Whenever you do your trip to chattanooga drop us a line will have to say hi.

G36, we will most definitely do that and the same goes for you if you’re ever on our end of the River. :beergood: We’re at Cypress Springs Marina about a mile north of a Paris Landing. I also have an old Army buddy that lives about 40 miles or so north of Chattanooga that we were looking forward to seeing after 20 years too.

Cooler wrote:Source of the post
The shop doing your project is probably using Epiglass in the repair of those blisters. They sound like an Interlux shop. 8-) er

8-) er, I’m definitely going to check on that next week when I go up to see how things are progressing. And BTW. we would have to drive as the little lady won’t get on an airplane. Now go figure and my oldest son is a pilot. :-O
Ron
1989 Carver Santego 3867
“Escape Plan”
Murray, KY

Return to “General Repairs & Maintenance”