Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Bildge Pump Float Switch

Anything related to the operation of your boat. Steering, Bilge Pumps, thru-hulls, bottom paint, etc.

Topic author United States of America
Sadey
First Mate
First Mate
Vessel Info: Former owner of a 2003 Carver 356 with 8.1 Mercs
Agradecida
Current owner 1989 60’ Hatteras MY with 8v92 Detroit’s
Benedetto

Bildge Pump Float Switch

Postby Sadey » April 6th, 2019, 7:20 am

I’m hoping this is it easy question/solution. I have three bildge pumps with three float switches located on the hull at the forward, mid, and aft locations. There is also a high water float switch located slightly higher mounted on the stringer in the aft and mid location. All except the two high water float switches test OK. The high water bildge switches do not turn the bilge pump‘s on when tested. What silly, stupid, or magical thing am I missing? Shouldn’t these two switches test? I found the high water alarm speaker and I have a high water alarm switch, which is on, located underneath the step along with all of the other battery switches.
Thank you for the help!

Dave & Trina

Canada
darrenlife
First Mate
First Mate
Vessel Info: 2002 Carver 410 Sport Sedan

Re: Bildge Pump Float Switch

Postby darrenlife » April 6th, 2019, 8:42 am

My suspicion is your high water alarm might be faulty? I would suggest checking continuity it it and go from there

Canada
Midnightsun
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: The Midnight Sun
2007 41CMY
Volvo D6-370's

Postby Midnightsun » April 6th, 2019, 2:11 pm

My understanding is the high water alarm only sounds an alarm and does not activate the bilge pumps. It is there to tell you the bilge pumps are not functioning or the hole in the boat is so big the pumps cannot keep up. The float switches for the pumps should have activated the bilge pumps long before. Bottom line is the high water alarm is not a backup float switch.

The speaker is disconnected or not functioning is my guess.

On my previous boat I made my own high water alarm with one of these which you could use if your alarm is defective. https://www.amazon.com/DIGITEN-Flash-Alarm-Indicator-Buzzer/dp/B017YL31OY/ref=pd_bxgy_img_2/145-0846989-5422949?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B017YL31OY&pd_rd_r=902cc617-5897-11e9-9d06-a332060cea22&pd_rd_w=ng1MR&pd_rd_wg=B66un&pf_rd_p=a2006322-0bc0-4db9-a08e-d168c18ce6f0&pf_rd_r=K8DEKCPSKFDDJWRM1EZ9&psc=1&refRID=K8DEKCPSKFDDJWRM1EZ9

Cheers, Hans
2007 Carver 41 CMY
Twin Volvo D6-370's
Montreal, Canada
Midnight Sun I Photos

Sadey
First Mate
First Mate
Agradecida
Benedetto

Postby Sadey » April 7th, 2019, 7:23 am

The speaker is still attached and I assume functioning. Not sure where the sensor is for that. But it’s the high water floats that don’t seem to be functioning. One, I could see it being the float but both at the same time is odd. The other three normal floats test fine.
Thank you for the help!

Dave & Trina

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Postby bud37 » April 7th, 2019, 8:05 am

On your electrical panel are some bilge pump breakers , one of them should read high water....make sure that breaker is on and I believe Hans is correct, those float switches may just activate the alarm only.
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

Canada
Midnightsun
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: The Midnight Sun
2007 41CMY
Volvo D6-370's

Postby Midnightsun » April 7th, 2019, 8:19 am

Sadey wrote:Source of the post The speaker is still attached and I assume functioning. Not sure where the sensor is for that. But it’s the high water floats that don’t seem to be functioning. One, I could see it being the float but both at the same time is odd. The other three normal floats test fine.

It is actually a buzzer, not a speaker, probably a piezo. Just apply 12v to it to see if it is functional and the we can continue to troubleshoot.
Cheers, Hans
2007 Carver 41 CMY
Twin Volvo D6-370's
Montreal, Canada
Midnight Sun I Photos

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Postby Viper » April 7th, 2019, 9:55 am

Unless there are another set of bilge pumps mounted higher with the higher switches, then the higher switches only power up an alarm such as a horn, beeper, buzzer, etc. If you're activating the switches and expecting the primary level pumps to come on, you may be heading down the wrong path. The failure could be anywhere from the power source/breaker, or wiring, float switches, or alarm device. As mentioned above, the failure may be the alarm device. Apply power to the devise as mentioned above or check for voltage there with a meter while the switches are in the up position. As mentioned, there should be a means to protect the circuit (breaker). These are usually push button breakers that you can't turn off yourself but pop out when tripped. Ensure the breaker is not tripped and check to ensure they are actually working and closing the circuit/passing voltage though. They do fail. It's a simple circuit and should be a fairly easy diagnose, it's pretty much the same as your bilge pump circuit without the "manual" option.

Sadey
First Mate
First Mate
Agradecida
Benedetto

Postby Sadey » April 8th, 2019, 7:41 pm

Well mom was right you learn something new every day. The two high water float switches are there to sound the high water alarm. Kind of sounds like a police siren. Now this point where I admit I am a dumbass. There is a switch on my power distribution panel that is an on/off switch for the high water alarm. Looks like I function tested it in the off position. When I switch it to the on position and activate the highwater float switch it sounds the alarm. Function test normal return to service. :captain2:
Thank you for the help!

Dave & Trina

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Postby Viper » April 8th, 2019, 8:46 pm

Hey don't feel bad, I'm still learning things about my boat.
You should check (or not), the switch might actually be a breaker, that circuit needs to be protected somehow.

Sadey
First Mate
First Mate
Agradecida
Benedetto

Postby Sadey » April 8th, 2019, 10:44 pm

I will trace it back to make sure it is protected. Sage advice.
Thank you for the help!

Dave & Trina

Return to “General Repairs & Maintenance”