Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

1987,3607 aft forward shower box

Anything related to the operation of your boat. Steering, Bilge Pumps, thru-hulls, bottom paint, etc.

Topic author United States of America
RWS
Deck Hand
Deck Hand
Vessel Info: 1987 3607 aft

Re: 1987,3607 aft forward shower box

Postby RWS » April 8th, 2019, 1:17 pm

Midnightsun wrote:Source of the post Just a note regarding shower sumps as they are usually forgotten and neglected. Ad this to your winterizing list or your spring commisioning.

Open the cover and remove both the float switch and pump. Clean these properly with soap or degreaser paying special attention to the impeller that will be entangled with hair that obviously needs to be removed. Pour some simple green or degreaser into the sump box and brush it clean, now reassemble. run water from hose or turn on a tap that drains into the sump and let it run for a good 15 minutes to clean everything out. By doing this every year you will never have a sump problem or odour issue from the sump. They do need some TLC every so often. ;-)

Thank you, sounds like good advice.

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Postby Viper » April 8th, 2019, 7:33 pm

You can also pour a little bleach down the drain periodically and chase it with enough water so the pump empties the box. This helps to keep the slimy stuff away and keeps the sump fresh.

United States of America
Bitchless
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 1987 Carver Santego 2767

Postby Bitchless » September 2nd, 2020, 11:49 am

Does your box have a pump and float inside? New to me 1987 Santigo 2767 and I do have a float but no pump in the box or lid. In the same access area I have another item that I think is an inline pump that is not working see attached pic.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

United States of America
km1125
Admiral
Admiral

Postby km1125 » September 2nd, 2020, 2:56 pm

Bitchless wrote:Source of the post Does your box have a pump and float inside? New to me 1987 Santigo 2767 and I do have a float but no pump in the box or lid. In the same access area I have another item that I think is an inline pump that is not working see attached pic.

Yes, that's the inline pump and it's connected to that float switch. You can take those pumps apart and clean them. They are pretty reliable. If it doesn't run at all, check the breaker and check the float switch. I had one float switch fail over the years. Or you can replace the whole assembly with the later vintage that have the pump integral to the tank and also has a lid.

If I was going to continue to use that pump, I'd get rid of those two 90 degree fittings. One of those hoses should go directly into the pump and the other hose should make a big sweeping 180 into the other side. But maybe that's just me.

United States of America
tomschauer
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1998 Carver 355
Suspicious Fishes !
2022 Kawasaki 310X

Postby tomschauer » September 2nd, 2020, 9:20 pm

That one looks like an old sealand t series bellows pump. If it runs and doesn't pump there are inlet and outlet duck bills that may have failed. If the duck bills stay open it cant create a vacuum. Also, occasionally the bellows will fail.
The key here is to make sure it runs before you tear into it.

Return to “General Repairs & Maintenance”