Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

forward cabin stain,3607 1987 model

Anything related to the operation of your boat. Steering, Bilge Pumps, thru-hulls, bottom paint, etc.

Topic author United States of America
RWS
Deck Hand
Deck Hand
Vessel Info: 1987 3607 aft

forward cabin stain,3607 1987 model

Postby RWS » April 8th, 2019, 10:23 pm

file-3 (3).jpeg
Hope the picture will post. this is in the forward cabin of the boat we just bought, it appears to be an old water stain that I believe may have came from a one time or slow time event. It both feels and smells like an old event. What could cause a one time event like this or do I have a problem ?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

United States of America
buster53
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 2001, Carver 356

Re: forward cabin stain,3607 1987 model

Postby buster53 » April 8th, 2019, 10:53 pm

Just a guess, but I'm thinking the boat saw some heavy water and it splashed up into a gap in the hull-deck joint.

United States of America
tomschauer
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1998 Carver 355
Suspicious Fishes !
2022 Kawasaki 310X

Postby tomschauer » April 9th, 2019, 12:58 am

I don't think that is a one time stain.
Look at areas above for places where water could intrude, such as deck railings etc. Bounce a bit on the decks and see if they flex. Keep in mind, water can travel quite a ways until it finds it way into the cabin.

RWS
Deck Hand
Deck Hand

Postby RWS » April 9th, 2019, 1:37 am

tomschauer wrote:Source of the post I don't think that is a one time stain.
Look at areas above for places where water could intrude, such as deck railings etc. Bounce a bit on the decks and see if they flex. Keep in mind, water can travel quite a ways until it finds it way into the cabin.

Tomschauer, I plan to reset all the rail and cleat screws with 3M products. just thinking if this is a consistent problem the glue would have let lose and the covering would be falling down.

United States of America
km1125
Admiral
Admiral

Postby km1125 » April 9th, 2019, 10:58 am

I have the same boat, but older ('83 3607). I don't have that problem, but I'd wonder what's at the most forward part of the stain. That part of the deck is still the 'flair' from the bow, do you could have something getting in at one of the forward cleats or deck pipes and following the flair down to where that liner is.

RWS
Deck Hand
Deck Hand

Postby RWS » April 9th, 2019, 1:53 pm

km1125 wrote:Source of the post I have the same boat, but older ('83 3607). I don't have that problem, but I'd wonder what's at the most forward part of the stain. That part of the deck is still the 'flair' from the bow, do you could have something getting in at one of the forward cleats or deck pipes and following the flair down to where that liner is.

By deck pipes, do you mean gas or water fills? the water fill cap does not screw on tight. Only a a turn and has no o-ring. Do you think water is getting in there and running forward?

United States of America
km1125
Admiral
Admiral

Postby km1125 » April 10th, 2019, 1:51 pm

RWS wrote:Source of the post
km1125 wrote:Source of the post I have the same boat, but older ('83 3607). I don't have that problem, but I'd wonder what's at the most forward part of the stain. That part of the deck is still the 'flair' from the bow, do you could have something getting in at one of the forward cleats or deck pipes and following the flair down to where that liner is.

By deck pipes, do you mean gas or water fills? the water fill cap does not screw on tight. Only a a turn and has no o-ring. Do you think water is getting in there and running forward?

No, I'm thinking more towards the bow. The deck pipes I'm talking about are for chains or ropes and are storage for when they're not in use. I have two on the deck right behind the bow pulpit (port and starboard) and the go into that little area forward of the V-berth.

How far forward does the stain go?

Canada
Midnightsun
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: The Midnight Sun
2007 41CMY
Volvo D6-370's

Postby Midnightsun » April 10th, 2019, 3:31 pm

Had something similar to that on another boats monkey fur. Definitely water intrusion. I used some powdered oxy clean mixed with warm water and patted it down wit paper towels, with persistence it completely disappears. In my case i also though it was a one time event until it came back again, sealed some more screws and stuff, cleaned it up and it eventually came bak once again. The irony is I finally did find the leak which was quit some distance away, a simple forgotten screw in the windshield frame which I found when I removed the sealing strip. This is not your problem but figure I should mention it. Point is it cleans up well with oxy clean.
Cheers, Hans
2007 Carver 41 CMY
Twin Volvo D6-370's
Montreal, Canada
Midnight Sun I Photos

RWS
Deck Hand
Deck Hand

Postby RWS » April 11th, 2019, 2:10 pm

km1125 wrote:Source of the post
RWS wrote:Source of the post

No, I'm thinking more towards the bow. The deck pipes I'm talking about are for chains or ropes and are storage for when they're not in use. I have two on the deck right behind the bow pulpit (port and starboard) and the go into that little area forward of the V-berth.

How far forward does the stain go?

Not too far past what the picture shows, but is also on the other side, just not as bad.

RWS
Deck Hand
Deck Hand

Postby RWS » April 11th, 2019, 2:12 pm

Midnightsun wrote:Source of the post Had something similar to that on another boats monkey fur. Definitely water intrusion. I used some powdered oxy clean mixed with warm water and patted it down wit paper towels, with persistence it completely disappears. In my case i also though it was a one time event until it came back again, sealed some more screws and stuff, cleaned it up and it eventually came bak once again. The irony is I finally did find the leak which was quit some distance away, a simple forgotten screw in the windshield frame which I found when I removed the sealing strip. This is not your problem but figure I should mention it. Point is it cleans up well with oxy clean.

Thank you, I will try oxy clean.

Return to “General Repairs & Maintenance”