Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Voyager pilothouse door repair

Anything related to the operation of your boat. Steering, Bilge Pumps, thru-hulls, bottom paint, etc.

Topic author United States of America
golgi
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: Carver 530 Voyager Pilothouse

Voyager pilothouse door repair

Postby golgi » April 16th, 2019, 7:06 pm

Does anyone happen to know how to remove the access panel on the interior side of the sliding pilothouse door on the 530/560/570 Voyager? My handle doesn't appear to be operating the latch mechanism, and I suspect something inside the door is no longer properly connected. The door still does open freely, but is not latching when closed.

I don't see any fasteners, so is the panel just held in with clips. Wasn't sure how hard to start pulling on this thing. Thanks!

United States of America
ilbacio
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Re: Voyager pilothouse door repair

Postby ilbacio » April 17th, 2019, 8:15 pm

Did you check the channel that the door rides in for debris? I had this issue and found a bit of debris in the channel was stopping it from latching properly.

golgi
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Postby golgi » April 18th, 2019, 10:42 am

Yeah, the channel is clear, cleaned and rollers freshly greased. I can manually operate the latch with the door half closed/open and then pulling on the interior handle does nothing to operate the latch or release it. I'm pretty sure something isn't hooked up or linked internally.

United States of America
Loiterer330
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 2007 56V Pilothouse Voyager

and needing to sell
2001 Silverton 330 Sport Bridge

Postby Loiterer330 » April 18th, 2019, 11:57 pm

What type of grease did you use? My door if very hard to slide, but don’t want to use incorrect grease.

golgi
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Postby golgi » April 19th, 2019, 7:10 am

First I used Dawn, hot water and a long bottle brush to clean as much dirt and debris from the track, under the door, and around & in the rollers. Shop vac'd and air dried. Then used Blaster's garage door spray lubricant. It's silicone and they say it doesn't attract dirt like other grease. Slides smooth and easy. Just would love for it to latch lol

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Postby Viper » April 19th, 2019, 7:22 am

Can you post a pic of the door handle/latch. Are you saying you can't remove that hardware? Look for a small Allen screw close to the base of the interior handle. Usually the handle is the first thing that needs to come off before anything else comes apart. Are there any screws around the striker/locking latch?

If you contact Carver with your hull number, they will give you the part numbers and supplier information. If the supplier is still in business, you may be able to get parts for it and instructions on how to remove it.

golgi
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Postby golgi » April 19th, 2019, 10:04 am

Thanks. I'm just looking for insight on how the panel on the interior center of the door is held in place. I'm sure I can access any necessary repairs from this panel, but am unsure how the panel comes off. There are no observable fasteners, so I believe it is held in with interference clips of some kind. Was looking to see if anyone else has removed this panel? It's approximately 10" x 24", center of the door, painted same color as lower half of the door. Sorry don't have a photo at the moment.

golgi
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Postby golgi » April 19th, 2019, 10:24 am

http://imgur.com/gallery/Ao3WS87

Best I could do with the pics on my phone. This is the panel I'm referring to...

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Postby Viper » April 19th, 2019, 5:07 pm

Email that pic to Carver. They'll tell you exactly how to remove it though I think you might be right about the clips.

United States of America
thisDave
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 2003 Carver 570
Twin Volvo D12 650

Postby thisDave » March 21st, 2023, 10:36 pm

Viper wrote:Source of the post Email that pic to Carver. They'll tell you exactly how to remove it though I think you might be right about the clips.

Did you get an answer on this? My door is latching but not locking. This panel seems to have some kind of adhesive on it.

Return to “General Repairs & Maintenance”