Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Volvo QS BP1200 bow thruster replacement

Anything related to the operation of your boat. Steering, Bilge Pumps, thru-hulls, bottom paint, etc.

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Re: Volvo QS BP1200 bow thruster replacement

Postby Viper » June 23rd, 2021, 8:56 pm

The QLs have an oil reservoir so any pressure would send oil back up the feed line. It's not an appreciable amount though but when that happens, it either goes up the line or out through a leak. Depending on the leak, when going up the line, the volume it displaces has to be replaced by something else...water if it can. In a sense, at that spot, it'll create a vacuum and bring water in. For that reason, some sterndrives require both a pressure test and a vacuum test to ensure the seals are working both ways. The difference with a lower unit is way higher rpm, pressure, and temperature, not nearly the same conditions as a thruster leg operation.

I started thinking about all the sources of how petroleum products make their way into the waterways on boats. Taking measures to eliminate as much of that as possible is a good thing whether at the manufacturing or ownership level. Techs can make a huge difference here too. Don't know how many times I see techs greasing all the points on a sterndrive and not even bother to clean the excess grease off the grease nipple. Marinas can play a huge roll too. All too often I see marinas launching boats where the trim tab actuators are clearly leaking, that should be an automatic no launch until it's fixed. It may seem like a small amount but add that up for all the sterndrives, trim tab actuators, etc. out there...it all adds up. Sterndrives are the worst, there's so much grease in the water with them. Heaven forbid you have a bad enough impact to break the lower unit and spill it's entire contents of gear lube. You know, they push marinas to use vegetable based oils and greases for their equipment working around the water but there's nothing said about what gets used in vessel hardware actually running and sitting in water all the time. Having said that, I think it's just a matter of time before that changes.

United States of America
dtlag
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 1999 Carver 406 Aft Cabin Motor Yacht

Postby dtlag » September 1st, 2021, 9:45 am

Good morning,

Just wanted to check to see if anyone had found a good source for parts for these or a suitable replacement?

Thank you!!

Canada
Royb
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: Carver 530 Voyager

Postby Royb » December 1st, 2021, 9:17 am

I have attached a photo of all the bearings for this unit.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Canada
Royb
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: Carver 530 Voyager

Postby Royb » December 1st, 2021, 9:19 am

There are two shaft seals (both the same), are metric and easily replaced for around $5 a piece. The number is stamped on the side of the seal.

United States of America
eburklo
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 2003 Carver 564

Postby eburklo » August 13th, 2022, 11:13 am

I guess I got lucky. The water was leaking thru the plug on the gear case. We had the boat pulled and dropped the gear case. Soaked the gear case in brake fluid cleaner for days. Replaced the plug and the zinc which screws into the plug and reinstalled. Now been a year and works fine.

United States of America
Joemo4454
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: Marine/ bow thruster tech

Postby Joemo4454 » February 11th, 2023, 2:51 pm

Regarding a replacement for Volvo bp 1200. I am joe molinaro owner of east coast bow thrusters. We do many of these swap outs per year. As mentioned in a previous post the side power se 130 is very marginal for the 56 carver my. We always use the vetus bow 160. This is the comparable thrust as the Volvo unit and fits the 250 mm tunnel. We utilize existing batteries and supply wiring to feed the thruster and glass over the old holes and run new control circuits and new vetus joy stick. The utilization of some existing keys costs reasonable. Feel free to contact me for questions or quote. Ecbowthrusters.com

Sweden
andbro
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: I have a Colin Archer 47 traditional sailing rescue vessel. I know this is ver far from a Carver, but found a thread discussing Volvo’s QL BP1200 and how to source parts for the gearbox. Esp a post by Royb in Dec 2021 with pictures showing part numbers for bearings and gears would be very valuable. Also would to ask the members is someone know if the gears can be bought off the shelf from manufacturer and if someone knows the angles with which the gears meet inside the gearbox.

Postby andbro » June 22nd, 2023, 6:46 am

Hi All,
and thank you for a lot of very valuable information about the BP1200. Esp. thank you to Royb for posting the info and picture with the bearings - super valuable!
One thing which remains for me to repair my thruster is the broken gears - the teeth are all basically sheared off.
Does anyone know if these were standard off the shelf as well or if not, does anyone have the design specs or can measure the outer height of the teeth and the angle of the upper outer corner of the teeth towards the centre? Knowing this it would be possible to source gears off the shelf or worst case manufacture new ones. Would be happy to place an order for several if anyone is interested.

United States of America
gmcsteam
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Postby gmcsteam » April 15th, 2024, 6:58 pm

Just ordered a set of Gears, Bearings and Seals for the QL BP1200 from Thrusterparts.com.

Return to “General Repairs & Maintenance”