Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Volvo QS BP1200 bow thruster replacement

Anything related to the operation of your boat. Steering, Bilge Pumps, thru-hulls, bottom paint, etc.

Topic author United States of America
ilbacio
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Volvo QS BP1200 bow thruster replacement

Postby ilbacio » April 16th, 2019, 10:42 pm

I need a bit of help.
My Volvo QS BP1200 Bow Thruster is dead and Volvo no longer makes this thruster nor can I find a source of parts to repair it. Does anyone know if there is a suitable replacement by another manufacturer that will not require a major retrofit?
Thanks for any help on this.

United States of America
mjk1040
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 1998 355 AC/MY "Deja Vu"

Re: Volvo QS BP1200 bow thruster replacement

Postby mjk1040 » April 17th, 2019, 4:36 am

What do you mean it's dead? Is a switch or relay gone bad? Can the motor be removed and rebuilt? Maybe an automotive starter rebuild shop can bring it back to life!
Mike :down:
I'd Rather Be Boating!
1989 Sea Ray Seville
1986 Carver Mariner 32'
1990's Thompson 22' Cuddy Cabin
1990's 4Winns 245 Vista Cruiser
1980's Thompson 19' Open Bow

United States of America
Alaska 530 Voyager
First Mate
First Mate

Postby Alaska 530 Voyager » April 17th, 2019, 11:19 am

I'm looking forward to seeing more input on this. I also have the Volvo Penta QL BP 1200 Thruster. I lost the relay on mine a few years back, it was over $600 to replace and very hard to find. I have a spare reseal kit leftover for mine. I'm hearing no parts available as well. Dave

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Postby Viper » April 17th, 2019, 1:00 pm

Really depends on the model and the part that's needed. A lot of the stuff is NLA but I've gotten lucky a few times just doing a google search. Volvo showed no gear legs in stock for a particular model but ended up finding me one at an overseas dealer, I think the dealer was in Australia. It took all summer, but it eventually came in.

Haven't had to retrofit one yet but even if the tunnel was the same diameter, it's likely the bolt pattern for the leg would be different so some fiberglassing there in all likelihood, and the models I've worked on utilize proprietary control boxes not used for any other brand that I'm aware of. Even if there were a brand with similar hardware, the controllers are probably outdated now anyway. Between that and different cabling, helm controllers, etc., you're basically looking at a new install save for the tunnel install from scratch.

Having said all that, "dead" is a pretty generalized statement. It could be something complicated and expensive and NLA, or it could be something simple that's readily available. Some parts may be generic that can be substituted with a part from an electronics supplier, as Mike pointed out, motors can be repaired. What component has failed and how did you reach that conclusion?

Topic author United States of America
ilbacio
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Postby ilbacio » April 17th, 2019, 8:10 pm

Not sure what is wrong. It appears to be seized. I just bought the boat and a high water mark in compartment housing the thruster motor indicates that the motor was partially submerged at some point. Since Volvo no longer makes this unit nor any of it's parts, I thought i may be be prudent to replace it with a new popular brand thruster to make it easier to maintain or repair in the future. I have read that maybe IMTRA CORPORATION Side-Power SE Series 130kg Thruster may be a unit that can replace the BP1200 with minimal work.

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter

Postby Viper » April 18th, 2019, 8:21 pm

The guys at Imtra are great. I deal with them all the time. They're certainly very helpful. Talk to Peter Nollet. If I remember, I'll look into your Volvo unit next week for available parts and ask one of the guys at Volvo if there are any major parts still available including from overseas dealers....you never know. Having said that, nothing about that system is cheap and given its age, something else may fail later. Sometimes the best solution is to upgrade to something newer and start fresh in the hopes that you won't have any failures/expense for another 10 years.

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter

Postby Viper » April 26th, 2019, 7:48 pm

I took a look at the parts still available for that unit. Most are listed as obsolete. While the motor is listed in the bulletin of parts no longer available, it is still an active part number in the system that shows as currently out of stock with a back order status. This usually indicates the possibility that it may still be obtainable. Parts that are no longer available usually have a "deleted" status or will simply not show up in a part inquiry which indicates an invalid part or part that is no longer available. Having said all that, the current list price for that motor is $8123 Canadian, just for the motor!! Even if it were readily available at this time, I'd be recommending upgrading to a whole Side Power system for that price.

United States of America
Audacia
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 2008 Marquis 59

Postby Audacia » June 24th, 2019, 2:33 pm

Is anyone here willing to sell their old BP1200 if you have replaced it or know someone that would? I need a couple of spare parts (mainly in the underwater gear portion). Thanks.

United States of America
Sgodfrey
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: Carver 450 Voyager

Postby Sgodfrey » June 24th, 2019, 2:50 pm

Hello -

I have BP1200 but I think there is an issue in the gear box. I have not taken that apart but suspect an issue between the motor (which spins freely) and the props that turn with a little resistance. Is anyone interested in making an offer for the unit as is. I am considering posting it either as a unit or parts on eBay?

United States of America
Audacia
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 2008 Marquis 59

Postby Audacia » June 24th, 2019, 3:23 pm

I would make you an offer for the gear box, but without knowing what is exactly wrong with it...it is a major gamble. The guy above looking for a motor should hop on this.
Please confirm (because other will want to know) 12V or 24V and year of manufacture. You may want to include a photo of the QL label on the motor housing.

Return to “General Repairs & Maintenance”