Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Stripped deck screws

Anything related to the operation of your boat. Steering, Bilge Pumps, thru-hulls, bottom paint, etc.

Topic author United States of America
RWS
Deck Hand
Deck Hand
Vessel Info: 1987 3607 aft

Stripped deck screws

Postby RWS » April 19th, 2019, 11:15 pm

1st time owner and bought an older boat.Yes I get the irony in that.Wanted to reseal the deck rail plate screws but some of them are stripped as well as some of the cleat screws. Thoughts,ideas.. help?

United States of America
RGrew176
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 2022 Stingray 182 SC

Re: Stripped deck screws

Postby RGrew176 » April 20th, 2019, 2:53 am

I've got an older Carver too. They may not be stripped. On my 81 all the deck rail plate screws as well as the cleats are through bolted. They might spin with a screwdriver but they are not stripped at least that is true in my case.
Rick Grew

2022 Stingray 182 SC

2004 Past Commodore
West River Yacht & Cruising Club

United States of America
BenTen
First Mate
First Mate
Vessel Info: 1984 Carver 3697 Mariner - "We'll Sea"

Postby BenTen » April 20th, 2019, 7:10 am

I concur with Rick as I found the same thing on my 84 Carver. At first I thought they were stripped as well but once the interior was disassembled I was able to access the nut and washer.
Thanks,
Ben in SC

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Postby Viper » April 20th, 2019, 7:50 am

The guys are right, anything that is expected to handle high loads will likely be thru-bolted. The nuts are spinning when you try to remove the screw so you'll need to have a helper down below to hold the nut while you unscrew each fastener. Some applications incorporated a glassed in plate instead of using nuts. In those cases there's no need to dismantle interior areas to access and prevent nuts from moving while un-threading or securing fasteners.

United States of America
Renovatio
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 2001 Carver 466

Postby Renovatio » April 20th, 2019, 9:19 am

Hi
I know the feeling. Every thing I touch seems to be a battle. We even decided against a Silverton because the rails are secured with bolts and are not accessible ,(not the only issue but along the line of more trouble than it was worth). So we would have to DRILL access holes at every point!
Maintenance is key.
So I’ve found the same as mentioned above. Although some of the details are important.
Always spray the bolt and nut with either WD-40 (water displacement- formula 40) or a nut loosening solvent first. As not to add to the stripped issue. If the heads are stripped. First find a NEW aggressive and sharp head screwdriver (worn will not help). Automotive stores are good quality.
( not a 4-way). Often there is build up/oxidation in the head. Place the screwdriver in the head and Rapp it in place. This will give you the maximum leverage to toque the screw and loosen the bolt.
Also screw stripped removal tools are available. Often used in wood screw applications or engine applications. Remember lube the nuts. You don’t want to cause more damage and have to drill them out.

If you need more help email
Larry

:usa:

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Postby Viper » April 20th, 2019, 10:06 am

Good points Larry. When he said "stripped" I assumed he meant that the fastener is spinning. Could very well be talking about stripped heads. If that's the case and you don't get anywhere with Larry's suggestions, get a Dremel tool and cut a straight slot in the screw head, then use a standard (straight) screw driver instead of a phillips.

RWS
Deck Hand
Deck Hand

Postby RWS » April 20th, 2019, 12:26 pm

Viper wrote:Source of the post Good points Larry. When he said "stripped" I assumed he meant that the fastener is spinning. Could very well be talking about stripped heads. If that's the case and you don't get anywhere with Larry's suggestions, get a Dremel tool and cut a straight slot in the screw head, then use a standard (straight) screw driver instead of a phillips.

some screws came right out,caulked them and they went right back in good and tight and others just spin. on the ones that came out what is holding the nut?and how does one access the nut side, with out taking the interior of the boat apart?

RWS
Deck Hand
Deck Hand

Postby RWS » April 20th, 2019, 12:52 pm

BenTen wrote:Source of the post I concur with Rick as I found the same thing on my 84 Carver. At first I thought they were stripped as well but once the interior was disassembled I was able to access the nut and washer.

On the ones I did get out they went back in tight, what holds the nut in place? How much interior disassembly was required?

RWS
Deck Hand
Deck Hand

Postby RWS » April 20th, 2019, 12:58 pm

Viper wrote:Source of the post The guys are right, anything that is expected to handle high loads will likely be thru-bolted. The nuts are spinning when you try to remove the screw so you'll need to have a helper down below to hold the nut while you unscrew each fastener. Some applications incorporated a glassed in plate instead of using nuts. In those cases there's no need to dismantle interior areas to access and prevent nuts from moving while un-threading or securing fasteners.

Viper the glassed in plate makes sense as to how I could remove some and then tighten back up, Could the nuts in the glassed in plate have broken free and are now being allowed to turn?

United States of America
km1125
Admiral
Admiral

Postby km1125 » April 20th, 2019, 5:38 pm

I have the same boat, but older ('83 3607). Which ones are you trying to remove? You can get to the inside on all of them. In the salon you have to remove the shelves (4 screws) from the cubby holes, then there are two covers each with 4 screws in each one. That opens up an area about 2' high and 40" long and gets access to anything on both sides of the salon.

Return to “General Repairs & Maintenance”