Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

4207 Fuel Tank Replacement

Anything related to the operation of your boat. Steering, Bilge Pumps, thru-hulls, bottom paint, etc.

Canada
Midnightsun
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: The Midnight Sun
2007 41CMY
Volvo D6-370's

Re: 4207 Fuel Tank Replacement

Postby Midnightsun » February 22nd, 2020, 10:29 am

Wow, nice prep work and overall project. Definitely not for the faint hearted.

Thanks or posting as one day others may need to go this route and your setup is an excellent visual of what needs to be done.
Cheers, Hans
2007 Carver 41 CMY
Twin Volvo D6-370's
Montreal, Canada
Midnight Sun I Photos

Topic author United States of America
Lee_B
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 4207

Postby Lee_B » February 22nd, 2020, 11:19 pm

The inboard side and top of the tank was cut out with a sawzall using a short blade. The outboard side was cut out with an angle grinder due to the fact that the tank was less than a quarter inch off the hull. The tank was completely free of fuel and a fire extinguisher was standing by.... Not something I could have gotten away with if I was dealing with gas tanks. Also fortunate to be dealing with aluminum tanks and not stainless - cuts easy and nothing in the way of sparks.
Lee Brown
1989 Carver 4207
RiverHawk

United States of America
lester7410
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: Carver 4207; 1988; refitted 1996; Cummins 420hp 6CTA's ;

Postby lester7410 » July 29th, 2020, 12:06 am

I am gearing up to first replace the starboard tank in my 1988. Both tanks will be replaced under this project. You can be sure that the new tanks will receive 2-3 coats of epoxy/scrontium chromate all over AND receive 2-layers of 1oz (9oz/yd) epoxy/glass matt on the bottom up 8 inches !! I don't think that this necessary step would have been a deal breaker in the expense of building the fine motor yacht that it is.
How much of the top did you have to remove and how were you able to get to the outboard side after cutting the three accessible sides ?

The new tanks will have to be shorter in height but will be increased in Depth from 18" to 22" to regain the 200gal capacity. My 4207 was refitted with Cummins 8.3L's which allows a bit more tank-to-engine space.

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Postby Viper » July 29th, 2020, 8:42 am

Welcome aboard.

Personally I wouldn't glass the bottom of the tank and up the sides, a coating is all you need. If the glass ever separates anywhere, and it can, any moisture or water that gets in will be trapped in there against the tank. That will eventually result in what you're trying to prevent. It's best to mount it so there is a gap between it and the base to allow for free movement of air underneath it so any moisture/water can evaporate.

Good luck with your project. You should start another thread and document your progress as Lee did here.

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Postby bud37 » July 29th, 2020, 9:03 am

lester7410 wrote:Source of the post You can be sure that the new tanks will receive 2-3 coats of epoxy/scrontium chromate all over AND receive 2-layers of 1oz (9oz/yd) epoxy/glass matt on the bottom up 8 inches !!

I agree with Viper. Consider the original tanks have lasted since 1988 ( over 32 years ) with nothing. Consideration for ventilation and a dry bottom will go a long way on a properly bonded tank, also, tanks expand and contract, sweat and oxidize, a very tough thing to stay bonded to. It would be great to see how you end up doing this job.....good luck with it going forward.

When you say the boat engines were refitted .....was it gas before the refit or always diesel ?
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

United States of America
g36
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 1997 Carver 405

Postby g36 » July 29th, 2020, 10:07 am

wow what a project
1997 Carver 405
Crusader xli
The Black Pearl
Soddy Daisy Tn.