Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Fuel sending units

Anything related to the operation of your boat. Steering, Bilge Pumps, thru-hulls, bottom paint, etc.

Topic author United States of America
1992330aftcabin
Deck Hand
Deck Hand
Vessel Info: 1992 330 Carver aft cabin

Re: Fuel sending units

Postby 1992330aftcabin » April 24th, 2019, 5:20 pm

Thanks Hans, as soon as I get home I will check the gage. Thanks for your input going to the gage. That is the last place I would have started but, the easiest to check. Thanks again for the wake up call.

1992330aftcabin
Deck Hand
Deck Hand

Postby 1992330aftcabin » April 24th, 2019, 5:25 pm

Thanks Hans, quick and east to start. I will check and report back.

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Postby bud37 » April 24th, 2019, 7:18 pm

1992330aftcabin wrote:Source of the post Bud, all original gages.

Considering this, both gauges original and show the same.....
.....tank units have failed at an earlier date, but checks can confirm that....check connections
.....tank units have been changed with a different ohm range than the gauges...have a look for new tank units.
.....as has been suggested, bad grounds or connections but.... both gauges the same ?
.....both tanks are really only half full, but that has been checked.
.....both gauges have failed at an earlier date before the boat changed hands, this will be shown by the gauge check
.... is this a dual station boat with gauges in both stations ?

Keep us posted after the checks.
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

1992330aftcabin
Deck Hand
Deck Hand

Postby 1992330aftcabin » May 3rd, 2019, 7:21 pm

Bud37, all good things to check but, does anyone know how to get to the sending units so I can check grounds and connections. I think I need to pull some panels but I don’t know witch ones. Thanks Mike.

United States of America
dkitchen
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 1994 Carver 350 Aft Cabin
twin Crusader 7.4l

Postby dkitchen » May 3rd, 2019, 10:29 pm

I have lurked here for some time, drinking up the collective wisdom from this site without contributing because, as a newby to Carver boats and to boats in general, I had nothing to add . . . until this post!

I have a ‘94 350 aft cabin, which appears to be the same boat. My gauges read a bit differently, in that the port tank reads half of its starboard brother. Since one gauge works fine while the other does not, I presume the issue is with the sending unit. I was not able to get the port sending unit out while in storage this winter, but it is on my spring list. All of which is a long way of saying: I know how to get to the sending units!

Port side: the sending unit is under a floor hatch that is under the aft end of the couch in the salon. You’ll have to pull the couch to the stair to get enough room behind the couch to get in there.
Starboard side: in the salon, just forward of the stairs to the aft cabin, is a two door cabinet. The rearmost door on my boat opens to a liquor cabinet, with a piece of plexiglass cut with holes in the bottom of that cabinet. Under that piece of plexiglass is the removable bottom of the cabinet. Take out both and you should find another hatch, below which should be the starboard sending unit.

Let me know if I can be of additional help. I’m in Grand Haven.

1992330aftcabin
Deck Hand
Deck Hand

Postby 1992330aftcabin » May 4th, 2019, 8:31 am

Thanks dkitchen, that helps a lot. I think we may have the same problem, what I think without checking volts resistance is we may have a damaged float due to the ethanol that was run through over the years, we will see. Don’t think you can’t post something here, I have posted some dumb things and got some pretty smart answers! Welcome aboard neighbor. I’ll keep you posted. I’m out of town till Tuesday then I’m going to hit the boat hard.

1992330aftcabin
Deck Hand
Deck Hand

Postby 1992330aftcabin » May 22nd, 2019, 8:09 pm

Ok got to work on the fuel gages today. For a new guy Dkitchen was spot on.... thanks for your input. I looked where he described and found the sending units. I performed the gage test and determined it was leading to bad sending units, picked up a new sending unit tested gage before replacing sure enough gage worked flawlessly. So, at the end of the day $65.00 in parts and a hour of my time fuel gages are fixed. Thanks for all the helpful information.

Just to let everyone know I feel ethanol was the culprit the plastic bushing was binding with the float rod keeping it from moving freely, I do believe that’s why I only went to 1/2 full on both tanks.

United States of America
dkitchen
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 1994 Carver 350 Aft Cabin
twin Crusader 7.4l

Postby dkitchen » June 11th, 2019, 9:14 pm

Glad I could help! And as an aside: my port tank sending unit has decided to work without any further efforts on my part! Maybe it was karma for assisting another Carver owner!

United States of America
tomschauer
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1998 Carver 355
Suspicious Fishes !
2022 Kawasaki 310X

Postby tomschauer » June 11th, 2019, 9:32 pm

maybe ethanol, maybe 27 years?

1992330aftcabin
Deck Hand
Deck Hand

Postby 1992330aftcabin » August 21st, 2019, 6:16 pm

Replace both sending units and gauges work great.

Return to “General Repairs & Maintenance”