Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Fresh water tank discharge vent

Anything related to the operation of your boat. Steering, Bilge Pumps, thru-hulls, bottom paint, etc.

Topic author United States of America
samcrouse
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 1999 Carver 504 CPMY

Fresh water tank discharge vent

Postby samcrouse » April 24th, 2019, 9:27 pm

I have a '99 Carver 504 CPMY and a question about the fresh water filling and knowing when the tanks are full.

Here is an excerpt from the manual on Page 66.

Put only clean, fresh water into your water tank. Your tank is full when water is discharged from the stainless steel water tank vent fitting installed on the side of the boat's hull. Refer to the Above the Waterline Thru-Hull Fittings portion of Section 9 for the exact location of the water tank vent fitting. DO NOT overfill your water tank OR leave a fill hose unattended while the tanks are being filled.

I have filled the tanks and while the gauge indicates full, I have never been able to see or located a water tank vent fitting to see any discharge from it indicating the tank is full. I went to section 9 and cannot located a water tank discharge vent. The only one I see is #14 and that seems to be a water air vent as it is way up near the gunwale, which seems to be too high for a water discharge overflow.

Can anyone tell me where their water tank overboard discharge vent fitting is?

Thanks, Sam

Canada
Midnightsun
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: The Midnight Sun
2007 41CMY
Volvo D6-370's

Re: Fresh water tank discharge vent

Postby Midnightsun » April 25th, 2019, 4:58 am

Do you normally just watch the gauge and wait until it is full or do you fill until it overflows at the filler cap? Either way works fine however you do need to get it really full if you want water to exit the vent which implies not only the tank being completely full but also the fill line to a point higher than the vent location.

Not really sure why they say "DO NOT overfill your water tank OR leave a fill hose unattended while the tanks are being filled" as I cannot count the number of times I have seen hoses running full bore while the water is overflowing from the filler port and vent with nobody watching. :blush: The difference between overflow from the filler as opposed to only the vent is a few pints in some cases which would be hard to control. Personally I normally go by sound just like when I fill fuel. ;-)

I no longer need to worry about filling with a hose as it is now semi automated via a float switch that shuts off the water supply from shore water. No more hoses or vent watching :-D See here. viewtopic.php?f=13&t=3143&hilit=lazy+mans
Cheers, Hans
2007 Carver 41 CMY
Twin Volvo D6-370's
Montreal, Canada
Midnight Sun I Photos

United States of America
mjk1040
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 1998 355 AC/MY "Deja Vu"

Postby mjk1040 » April 25th, 2019, 5:31 am

Pretty sure the vent your looking at is the Fresh Water Tank vent. Our 355 water tank will over flow at the fill port most generally before water will come out the vent, but it does come out. The vent may be plugged by a spider nest or other insect. Sometimes you can take the vent cover off and inspect for blockage. Unless you have a loose fresh water tank fill hose I don't believe you can do any damage overfilling this tank.
Mike :down:
I'd Rather Be Boating!
1989 Sea Ray Seville
1986 Carver Mariner 32'
1990's Thompson 22' Cuddy Cabin
1990's 4Winns 245 Vista Cruiser
1980's Thompson 19' Open Bow

Topic author United States of America
samcrouse
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 1999 Carver 504 CPMY

Postby samcrouse » April 30th, 2019, 4:03 pm

Thanks MJK and Hans. I was able to resolve this with your answers, answers from Carver (rep there in Pulaski, named Bryan Volez, and a tip from my broker. We found all four tanks, which does make it a 350 gallon total. Also, suggested was to purchase a flow meter for the hose to give us an indication of how much water is actually being put into the boat from the hose.

Return to “General Repairs & Maintenance”