Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Dripping blister on keel

Anything related to the operation of your boat. Steering, Bilge Pumps, thru-hulls, bottom paint, etc.

Topic author United States of America
RWS
Deck Hand
Deck Hand
Vessel Info: 1987 3607 aft

Dripping blister on keel

Postby RWS » May 1st, 2019, 10:39 pm

When we had the boat surveyed the surveyor said the boat needed a bottom paint job and it had a previous blister repair that was not completely finished on the keel. We pulled the boat out of the water to have props tuned and bottom painted.
On starboard keel midships is the blister and my repair guy has ground the blister. It's been out of water two days and the spot is still dripping water. Thoughts and suggestion needed please. Thank you.
Last edited by RWS on May 1st, 2019, 11:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

United States of America
ColRon
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver Santego 3867
“Escape Plan”

Re: Dripping blister on keel

Postby ColRon » May 1st, 2019, 10:53 pm

RWS, I recently had a bottom job completed and it was out of the water for a month. Depending on how wet the hull is, it can take some time to dry out on its own, but you definitely wanted it dried out before they complete that repair. Mine also had some improperly repaired blisters that had to be redone.
Ron
1989 Carver Santego 3867
“Escape Plan”
Murray, KY

:usa:

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Postby Viper » May 2nd, 2019, 6:50 am

As mentioned above, it really depends on how wet the area is and the condition of the glass around there. Could be days, weeks, or months. In light of that, it surprises me how shops that do this kind of work rarely have vacuum bagging systems that are capable of drying areas in a matter of hours.

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Postby bud37 » May 2nd, 2019, 9:23 am

RWS wrote:Source of the post On starboard keel midships is the blister and my repair guy has ground the blister. It's been out of water two days and the spot is still dripping water. Thoughts and suggestion needed please. Thank you.

Is it just oozing a bit or running steady, more like clear water ? Did he grind thru to the glass mat or just thru the gelcoat ?
..To be sure you are talking about the center keel that hangs down about 10" or more under the center of the boat correct... .. you will have to make sure it is dry or the repair will not take......now I am not completely sure what they have inside the keel on your boat year, but if it is foam and soaking wet then it may have to be opened up and the wet foam pulled then dried and repaired from there. But this should be apparent to your guy.

Unfortunately it could take some time depending on the damage, like has already been pointed out.
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

Topic author United States of America
RWS
Deck Hand
Deck Hand
Vessel Info: 1987 3607 aft

Postby RWS » May 2nd, 2019, 2:08 pm

More like clear water dripping consistently and yes the center Keel

Return to “General Repairs & Maintenance”