Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Windlass Options - Lewmar good/bad?

Anything related to the operation of your boat. Steering, Bilge Pumps, thru-hulls, bottom paint, etc.

Topic author United States of America
390Express
Captain
Captain
Vessel Info: 1996 390 Trojan Express

Windlass Options - Lewmar good/bad?

Postby 390Express » May 5th, 2019, 4:15 pm

My old windlass was an old model Maxwell RC8, but it's becoming apparent that no matter which windlass I pickup, I'm going to have to fill and re-drill holes in the deck, and it doesn't appear that any windlass is going to fully cover all of my former holes. I'm looking at the Maxwell RC8, the RC10, and Lewmar options. (willing to hear other suggestions)

Lewmar has quite a bit of negative reviews on Amazon and otherwise. Maxwell windlasses seem more reliable, but I shouldn't need the greatest windlass made. I boat in shallow water, 12'-30' max, with a light anchor (fortress, great holding power, doesn't weigh much), and I generally anchor in waist deep water.

Lewmar VX 1 accepts a 1" rode. ($650) (further research suggests that this windlass may only accept a 5/8" rode, and that the website claiming a 1" rode, may have been wrong.)

The Maxwell RC8 accepts a 5/8 rode. ($1200)
The Maxwell RC10 accepts a 3/4 rode. ($1500)

The Lewmar windlass is more than 1/2 the cost of the Maxwell windlass, and I see a lot of people using them in my area. A lot of the complaints I see against Lewmar, are from ocean going boats, that boat in deep water. I don't have those issues.

I have a 3/4" rode on the boat currently. How exact does the rode have to fit? Would the 3/4" rode work with the VX1, which nominally accepts a 1"? Would the 3/4" rode pass through the RC8, that nominally accepts a 5/8" rode? Are Lewmar windlasses so crappy that I shouldn't consider them? I've been told that I can get a different gypsy to install in the windlass to accommodate different rodes. I'm sure I'll be on the phone with Lewmar customer service tomorrow morning, they were closed yesterday and today.

United States of America
mjk1040
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 1998 355 AC/MY "Deja Vu"

Re: Windlass Options - Lewmar good/bad?

Postby mjk1040 » May 6th, 2019, 6:02 am

Interesting, I thought the newer Maxwell's sat on the same foot print of the older Maxwell's. Or very close there to!
Mike :down:
I'd Rather Be Boating!
1989 Sea Ray Seville
1986 Carver Mariner 32'
1990's Thompson 22' Cuddy Cabin
1990's 4Winns 245 Vista Cruiser
1980's Thompson 19' Open Bow

United States of America
g36
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 1997 Carver 405

Postby g36 » May 6th, 2019, 9:05 am

since you anchor in shallow water you could save some money and just have the wife pull up the anchor oh wait that my not be a good idea and actually cost you more aggravation and money later. :-D
1997 Carver 405
Crusader xli
The Black Pearl
Soddy Daisy Tn.

390Express
Captain
Captain

Postby 390Express » May 6th, 2019, 12:26 pm

mjk1040 wrote:Source of the post Interesting, I thought the newer Maxwell's sat on the same foot print of the older Maxwell's. Or very close there to!

I wish, if that were the case, it’d be a no-brainer. But if I have to fill holes and re-drill anyhow, I may as well save $1,000 doing it.

Here’s the best case scenario, Maxwell RC8,new template, laid over the old RC8: (to be clear, the outside of the white template, is the outside of the new windlass.)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

390Express
Captain
Captain

Postby 390Express » May 6th, 2019, 2:49 pm

Looks like it's going to be a Maxwell RC10 in my future... I wasn't too fond of Lewmar's customer service, and the footprint of the VX1 is considerably smaller, creating more gel work for me.

If I got an RC8 the passthrough hole for the rode would need a little attention, as would two additional screw holes. The RC10 eliminates the visibility of the repair for the rode passthrough hole. I may have to fill a small portion of the rode passthrough hole, but it won't be visible outside the windlass cover.

I will have to fill and gel match two holes from the prior windlass, that are well outside the dimensions of the new windlass cover, regardless as to which windlass I use. Not looking forward to that, but it is what it is...

Return to “General Repairs & Maintenance”