Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Water under engines trapped by stringers Carver 530

Anything related to the operation of your boat. Steering, Bilge Pumps, thru-hulls, bottom paint, etc.

Topic author United States of America
rajsavara
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 1998 Carver 530 Cummins 450

Water under engines trapped by stringers Carver 530

Postby rajsavara » May 6th, 2019, 11:32 am

Hi
I own a 98 Carver 530, and this winter noticed water trapped under the engines up against the stringer. The bilge only drains the center of the boat, so I was looking for a drain tube from under the engines to the center cavity so the water could be removed.
My mechanic is also stumped, so if someone could help with where such a drain tube is located, I would be very appreciative.

Thank you
Raj :approve:
1998 Carver 530
Portland OR
Cummings 450

Brazil
Hugo
First Mate
First Mate

Re: Water under engines trapped by stringers Carver 530

Postby Hugo » May 6th, 2019, 4:02 pm

Hello,

That's a very common thing with Diesel engines. My 444 has the same compartment under engines. It's because of the amount of oil carried by diesel engines and the risk of pumping the oil out into the water in the event of an oil leak.

This didn't settle well in my mind so I installed Water witch sensors in there and tied it to the existing high water alarm on the boat. I also installed bilge pumps in each engine compartment that moves the water over to the center bilge (so over the stringer). The pumps are controlled by a separate water witch sensor and this solves the oil problem as the sensor will not activate in the presence of oil, only water.

Hugo

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Re: Water under engines trapped by stringers Carver 530

Postby Viper » May 6th, 2019, 8:42 pm

Welcome aboard Raj.

Ya pretty common in later builds. As Hugo mentioned, it's to isolate the area under the engines from the rest of the bilge and minimize overboard discharge of oils, fuel, etc. Your mechanic should know this IMO. Some builds designed with this in mind were completely isolated while others had drain holes in the stringers but had plugs in them that could be removed for draining water out of the cavity to the center bilge when needed.

Return to “General Repairs & Maintenance”