Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Engine Compartment Sealant

Anything related to the operation of your boat. Steering, Bilge Pumps, thru-hulls, bottom paint, etc.

Topic author Canada
Marty
Deck Hand
Deck Hand
Vessel Info: 2000 326 AFT Cabin

Engine Compartment Sealant

Postby Marty » May 15th, 2019, 11:14 am

Any recommendations as to what to use to reseal a couple panels and small holes?

Thanks in advance

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Re: Engine Compartment Sealant

Postby bud37 » May 15th, 2019, 6:33 pm

Heh Marty , can you elaborate a bit as to what material these panels and holes are etc.....
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

Topic author Canada
Marty
Deck Hand
Deck Hand
Vessel Info: 2000 326 AFT Cabin

Postby Marty » May 16th, 2019, 6:27 am

Couple fire panels came loose (ones with silver coating) and I want to run a couple 14ga wires to power a DC socket.

United States of America
tomschauer
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1998 Carver 355
Suspicious Fishes !
2022 Kawasaki 310X

Postby tomschauer » May 17th, 2019, 1:04 am

For the insulation panels you can use any good adhesive, such as power grab etc.
For the holes, if they are subject to water use 3m 4200 or 5200. You can actually use the 3m for the insulation panels also, but you will need to keep pressure on the panels a lot longer and the 3m is much more $$.

Canada
Midnightsun
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: The Midnight Sun
2007 41CMY
Volvo D6-370's

Postby Midnightsun » May 17th, 2019, 5:17 am

It sounds like you are talking about the sound insulation panels which consist mostly of foam rubber and foil. That being the case, any spray adhesive (3m Super 77 is a good one) or contact cement will work well if the panel has come loose in some areas. As for holes they really do not matter all that much but if they bother you then I would use aluminum tape (type used on ducts) to patch up any tears or holes.
Cheers, Hans
2007 Carver 41 CMY
Twin Volvo D6-370's
Montreal, Canada
Midnight Sun I Photos

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Postby bud37 » May 17th, 2019, 6:09 am

+1 on the 3m 77 for the foam.....never hurts to say..... ventilate well after using anything that has flammable fumes in an engine compartment or any enclosed area for that matter.

If the foam panels are on a wooden bulkhead or any thick wood, lets say floor hatches,( not the hull )... :-O ..... I have used a few plastic cap nails to hold in place with the glue if you have the real heavy foam with the sound deadener layer inside.
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

Return to “General Repairs & Maintenance”