Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Kohler 6.5 output issue

Anything related to the operation of your boat. Steering, Bilge Pumps, thru-hulls, bottom paint, etc.

Topic author United States of America
ronmar
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 1993 350 Aft Cabin

Kohler 6.5 output issue

Postby ronmar » June 1st, 2019, 10:15 am

Hi all. I have a 93 Kohler 6.5 gas generator that starts and runs great. Issue is not getting house power. I checked with a volt meter power to it's main breaker 123V on both sides for the dual breaker switch. At the command center, however getting 63V on all 4 posts of the on/off switch/circuit breaker. No power at all after switch is on. The command center switches are made by Carling Technologies and the switch in question has a label with what I am assuming a part number DG2-B0-34-650-131-C. Can't seem to find anyone who carries it, and Carling not listing it available. Are there any other companies that have a switch that will fit? Also is 63V normal at the control panel switch?
Last edited by ronmar on June 2nd, 2019, 11:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

United States of America
km1125
Admiral
Admiral

Re: Kohler 6.5 output issue

Postby km1125 » June 1st, 2019, 2:47 pm

do you have an automatic transfer box? Could be an issue with the relays inside there (if you have one)

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Postby Viper » June 1st, 2019, 3:16 pm

Carver uses the auto transfer relays on several models, I just can't remember what year they started do that. If you don't have any breakers or rotary switch at the main panel that you have to operate to select either "SHIP or SHORE" then you'll have the auto transfer system and the relays can fail. I would start there first.

If it's a main breaker issue, contact Carling directly. Carling produced a lot of breakers specifically for boat manufacturers and they'll have their own proprietary part numbers so you may not see certain parts available. If you contact them with that number, they will give you the number for the breaker that replaces it. Each number and letter on the breaker has a certain meaning. If you go to their website, it'll give you the breakdown of what each one represents.

https://www.carlingtech.com/hydraulic-magnetic-circuit-breakers

ronmar
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Postby ronmar » June 1st, 2019, 8:33 pm

km1125 wrote:Source of the post do you have an automatic transfer box? Could be an issue with the relays inside there (if you have one)

No auto transfer, I have a breaker on the main panel that I think is the culprit

ronmar
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Postby ronmar » June 1st, 2019, 8:39 pm

Viper wrote:Source of the post Carver uses the auto transfer relays on several models, I just can't remember what year they started do that. If you don't have any breakers or rotary switch at the main panel that you have to operate to select either "SHIP or SHORE" then you'll have the auto transfer system and the relays can fail. I would start there first.

If it's a main breaker issue, contact Carling directly. Carling produced a lot of breakers specifically for boat manufacturers and they'll have their own proprietary part numbers so you may not see certain parts available. If you contact them with that number, they will give you the number for the breaker that replaces it. Each number and letter on the breaker has a certain meaning. If you go to their website, it'll give you the breakdown of what each one represents.

https://www.carlingtech.com/hydraulic-magnetic-circuit-breakers

Thanks Viper, no auto transfer there is a Carling breaker on the main panel that I believe may be the culprit. Could be the main breaker on the generator, and I know there is power to it. When I check the breaker on the main panel it shows 63 volts on the four posts. I thought that was kind of weird instead of 120 volts.

ronmar
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Postby ronmar » June 9th, 2019, 9:56 pm

Wow, color me purple! So embarrassed. Found out through checking all switches, everything was okay. Still no power past the control panel. Discovered on mine after looking through schematics my switch usage was incorrect. After turning off shore power at the control box and the dock, I was starting generator and then turned on the generator switch on the control panel. Schematics showed that the generator switch leads to the 2 shore power switches. Apparently on mine I have to open these 2 switches as well to supply power. Seems to be just fine now. Certainly was not how I was told how to operate but working A-Ok now

United States of America
RGrew176
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 2022 Stingray 182 SC

Postby RGrew176 » June 10th, 2019, 1:34 am

Great news that you were able to solve the problem. Now we all hope you have a problem free season.
Rick Grew

2022 Stingray 182 SC

2004 Past Commodore
West River Yacht & Cruising Club

Return to “General Repairs & Maintenance”