Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Horrendous Odor

Anything related to the operation of your boat. Steering, Bilge Pumps, thru-hulls, bottom paint, etc.

Topic author Canada
Craig_B
First Mate
First Mate
Vessel Info: 1988 Carver Santego 3067

Horrendous Odor

Postby Craig_B » June 23rd, 2019, 10:19 pm

We have an absolutely awful stench coming from god knows where.
Hoping someone here can give us some guidance.
Here is what we know and suspect.

The aft bilge (not the engine bay) had some standing water that seemed to be the source of the smell. Hosed it out and scrubbed it using some bilge cleaner. Smell still there.
The engine bay seems to be seperate and not connected to the bilge area of the cabin. Engine bay bilge smells fine.

The toilet is the pump style with electric assist. We think the seal at the bottom of the bowl must not be sealing properly since water does not stays in the bowl. Or perhaps the tank and hoses may be due to be replaced?

The smell is just about everywhere but seems to be the absolute worst under the v-berth. When you open the access door you almost want to pass out.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

United States of America
ColRon
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver Santego 3867
“Escape Plan”

Re: Horrendous Odor

Postby ColRon » June 23rd, 2019, 10:37 pm

Craig_B, where is you holding tank located? Mine was under the hatch in floor directly in front of the galley sink and stove. My a/c was located under the v-berth, but yours is under the starboard seating, so you holding tank my be under your v berth. The bulge pump for the entire cabin area should be located under the port side seating by the sliding door. Should be a hatch in the storage area there. The bilge pump is under there. Everything drains to here from forward.
Ron
1989 Carver Santego 3867
“Escape Plan”
Murray, KY

:usa:

Topic author Canada
Craig_B
First Mate
First Mate

Postby Craig_B » June 23rd, 2019, 10:47 pm

Holding tank is between the head and the galley. Right at the threshold to the v-berth.

forgot to mention that we have pumped out the holding tank and flushed with water and re-pumped.
Also have added tank treatment that is supposed to help eliminate odors.

United States of America
ColRon
Admiral
Admiral
“Escape Plan”

Postby ColRon » June 23rd, 2019, 11:04 pm

That’s the same location where
Mine was located. Your pump out hose and vent hoses run forward from there under the berth. The tank vent should go to the starboard side while the pump out hose should run to the port side and up to the deck. Did you notice the smell before you pumped out? I’m thinking maybe a bad hose or leak, especially since you said the small is worse under the berth.
Ron
1989 Carver Santego 3867
“Escape Plan”
Murray, KY

Topic author Canada
Craig_B
First Mate
First Mate

Postby Craig_B » June 23rd, 2019, 11:23 pm

Yes smell has been there from the beginning.
At first we thought it was due to the boat sitting since last July.
Cant see most of the hoses but I suspect you are correct. A bad hose under the plywood under the bed area.

United States of America
mjk1040
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 1998 355 AC/MY "Deja Vu"

Postby mjk1040 » June 24th, 2019, 6:13 am

Any standing water will smell like a head problem after a time. Got to dry out the bilges, wash with bleach and keep them dry. Standing water in the AC drip pan will smell if left in there over a period of time. PS-there's a product called Zero Odor that I have found very effective in removing smells.
Mike :down:
I'd Rather Be Boating!
1989 Sea Ray Seville
1986 Carver Mariner 32'
1990's Thompson 22' Cuddy Cabin
1990's 4Winns 245 Vista Cruiser
1980's Thompson 19' Open Bow

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Postby bud37 » June 24th, 2019, 7:35 am

The shower sump if you have one can get pretty bad.....

Regarding the water not staying in the bowl.....if that is the electric macerator that pulls water from the lake as well as discharges the waste, they have an internal shaft seal that if bad, leaks from the dirty side to the clean side and will drain the bowl , loop or no loop in the discharge line unless your toilet is below the waterline.

If this got way worse after the pumpout you may have a waste tank with a cracked fitting or worse a crack that opened up from the vac suction,.....unfortunately you will have to open up the area to investigate, brown water in the bilge will be bad.......good luck man and stay clean..........maybe buy a cheap wet dry vac that you can throw out after.

There is an easy test for permeation on hoses and tanks......warm wet cloth wrapped around the hose, leave for a while then take outside and smell the cloth....you will know.
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

Topic author Canada
Craig_B
First Mate
First Mate

Postby Craig_B » June 24th, 2019, 9:37 am

Thanks for all the help. :-)
Had thought about a bleach/chlorine dose or 20.
I was concerned however that those products may damage some of the hoses or worse the thru hull fittings.
I guess a good flush and rinse would be a good idea after the bleach treatment.
Or should I leave a little in there as a preventative measure?

Thanks again.

Topic author Canada
Craig_B
First Mate
First Mate

Postby Craig_B » June 24th, 2019, 10:10 am

mjk1040 wrote:Source of the post . Standing water in the AC drip pan will smell if left in there over a period of time. PS-there's a product called Zero Odor that I have found very effective in removing smells.

Any idea how to access that drip pan? I can see the A/C unit under a panel under a couch cushion on the S.B. side.
But its crammed in there and I cannot see a way to get underneath it. Perhaps remove the air intake grill?

United States of America
ColRon
Admiral
Admiral
“Escape Plan”

Postby ColRon » June 24th, 2019, 11:03 am

A/C unit should be mountered on the drip pan and should have a hose to drain it. Now where it’s drains could be a big question. I would hope it drains to you shower sump, which I assume is underunder the hatch to the aft of your holding tank area. It may however drain directly into the bilge, which you would need to go under storage compartment under the port side seating as I mentioned above. You should have only two bilge pumps, one in the engine room and one under the seating.
Ron
1989 Carver Santego 3867
“Escape Plan”
Murray, KY

Return to “General Repairs & Maintenance”